Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I don't understand why you would get an expensive option when you don't want ABS? Or is the ABS standard? Personally, I don't want it myself. I'm one of those old fucks that thinks (probably wrongly) that I can brake better than the computer. Just wondering.
ABS was standard and the only thing I could find within 3 states. BMW's ABS system works very well but KTM didn't quite pull it off. I actually found it to be more of a hindrance than a help.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,550
First of all, I don't own a KTM. But I am about as anti ABS as it is possible to get. EVERYBODY else seems to want ABS, and many have refused to buy a bike they otherwise liked because it didn't have ABS. I never understood the appeal of ABS, and would much prefer to control the brakes myself. The reason I posted this is I have got a lot of not so nice comments about my opinions on ABS, and now I see a thread by someone who WANTS to disable it? Can you explain why you would want to disable something that most riders would gladly pay over $1000 for?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
First of all, I don't own a KTM. But I am about as anti ABS as it is possible to get. EVERYBODY else seems to want ABS, and many have refused to buy a bike they otherwise liked because it didn't have ABS. I never understood the appeal of ABS, and would much prefer to control the brakes myself. The reason I posted this is I have got a lot of not so nice comments about my opinions on ABS, and now I see a thread by someone who WANTS to disable it? Can you explain why you would want to disable something that most riders would gladly pay over $1000 for?
Because when the pavement ends and the dirt begins I dont always stop sometimes I speed up, and when a corner comes up it is only then @ 85mph that I realize the FUCKING ABS is still on and im not even Kind of slowing down . Or you stop on a trail shut the bike off to BS for a sec or check a map take off down a hill and remember half way down that the ABS reactivated since you restarted the bike .. Its a Dirt bike I ride it like one and it should work like one
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
When is abs good... When you aren't paying attention, like when you are just cruising, looking at the scenery and OH SHIT!!!! I HATE abs but it has saved my life before, it has almost cost me my life as well. I am a proponent for a switch which is what I plan on doing. I have ridden with a number of ex-racers and they all say the same thing, it's good for those oh shit moments, where most accidents happen, but when you're riding hard or in the dirt forget about it. There's my 2 cents.
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Hmm

Was going to order front brake lines but I see an issue I have a high fender kit and need 2 longer brake lines not the 1 long and 1 cross over? can I just order 2 front lines (longer tupe) also wont I need a long banjo bolt for the Brake master to tie in 2 brake hoses?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Was going to order front brake lines but I see an issue I have a high fender kit and need 2 longer brake lines not the 1 long and 1 cross over? can I just order 2 front lines (longer tupe) also wont I need a long banjo bolt for the Brake master to tie in 2 brake hoses?
I think you'd be better off having a shop make you up the two lines
you'll need. They can make the perfect length your bike needs, for the
way you have it set up ( higher bars, taller bar risers, etc.)
Yes you will need a double banjo.

Be sure to spend some time routing the lines around the clutch and other wires. On the low fender bikes when the suspension is compressed the brake line flex is below the brake line bracket/junction at the lower triple clamp. With the high fender and two lines the lines will flex/ extend up above the handle bars. Potentially rubbing or hanging up on wires, cables or brackets, GPS etc.

Max
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66;[URL="tel:20402235"
20402235[/URL]]Was going to order front brake lines but I see an issue I have a high fender kit and need 2 longer brake lines not the 1 long and 1 cross over? can I just order 2 front lines (longer tupe) also wont I need a long banjo bolt for the Brake master to tie in 2 brake hoses?
are you thinking of the 950 setup?
The '07 & '08 990S model brakeline setup is basically the same as the standard ABS model around the low fender/high fender area.

I can't argue with going the custom route, it's likely cheaper., and maybe better for some setups
I picked the lazier way. Point and click.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
Because when the pavement ends and the dirt begins I dont always stop sometimes I speed up, and when a corner comes up it is only then @ 85mph that I realize the FUCKING ABS is still on and im not even Kind of slowing down . Or you stop on a trail shut the bike off to BS for a sec or check a map take off down a hill and remember half way down that the ABS reactivated since you restarted the bike .. Its a Dirt bike I ride it like one and it should work like one
An ABS defeat switch in the rear sending sensor shuts off the ABS instantly. If left in the open position, the default is no ABS the next time you start the motor. Put the switch where it can be easily reached with your left or right thumb. Works for a lot of us.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #24
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,912
For me I like the idea of it on the front, but not the back. That said on my '11 you have to nail the brakes pretty hard for it to activate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.

ciedema screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 05:46 PM
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote