Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #15241
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Your contention is that the Super Tenere has been "successful" despite not being advertised, but you are making a ratehr large assumption about it being "successful", at least in North America. We actually don't know that yet. 2013 will be the year where it will sell without the PDP program - i.e. where Yamaha will not have each one produced already paid for. This will be the year that tells the tale whether it will remain in Yamaha's line-up in North America.
I can agree with you that we don't know what the future holds for this model yet. I base my assumption on the fact that dealerships in my area tell me that they are unable to get demo bikes because all available units are in someone's inventory. Maybe production numbers are just that low for this model, but it appears there definitely isn't a glut of inventory of Tenere's, which also makes it unnecessary to advertise them. Whether it's a real success we'll just have to see.

And sure, there are two dealerships in my area that have '12 tenere's sitting on the showroom floor, right next to '12 stroms which have been there just as long. This may be more of a result of economic uncertainty than lack of success of either bike.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #15242
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

And my local Yamaha dealer has had a nice, brand new 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere sitting on his floor for 9 months, heavily discounted.

Dallara

~
$?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #15243
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
$?
I'd be interested in knowing where that dealer is. Super tenere is just one of the things dealers here in OK have never heard of.
okiegtrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #15244
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
I'd be interested in knowing where that dealer is. Super tenere is just one of the things dealers here in OK have never heard of.

There are 2 black 2012's on the floor at Smith Brothers in Oneonta, Alabama.. 205-274-0789
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #15245
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,751
Dealer in Kalispell!

Had a few and a demo on the floor a few months ago and told me they were selling well. I had bought mine a year earlier when no one knew how good they really were. Seems word has gotten out and they are selling more. Certainly not as popular as a Harley but then 90% of the bikes I see in the US are Harleys.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #15246
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
In the same position as you: my 2000 Concours is getting cranky with age, to the point that she's asking more from me than my partner!

Same issue on colour too: I really like the white, it matches my car, would go well with my red gear, and is more visible.

But there's something about that matte grey that just says "buy me, bitch."
I agree. When I bought my blue '12 I was worried that I would regret not waiting two weeks (and probably spending 1.5k more) for the white. I finally saw the white when I went to pick up my tags and it didn't do it for me in person...but what really surprised me was the matte black. It looks GREAT in person...something about it just doesn't translate in pix.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #15247
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Had a DL1000 and an FJR. You don't need to do a bunch of research.
Just buy the Tenere. No comparison to the Strom 1000. Strom owners will
throw dollar difference or if you just blah, blah. blah it will be as good as a Tenere.
They are in denial. I rode my old Strom after having the Tenere for a few months.
I couldn't believe I used to enjoy the Strom. The Tenere is a much better bike. Period.

Oh, and I kept the KLR.

Had 2 DL1000s and loved them both.

My S10 is worlds better.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #15248
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegtrider View Post
Except my dealer in OKC, Maxey's, has sold about 8 or more of 'em and the dealer himself owns one so you're talking to the wrong dealer.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #15249
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Except my dealer in OKC, Maxey's, has sold about 8 or more of 'em and the dealer himself owns one so you're talking to the wrong dealer.
No doubt about it, talking to wrong dealer. In rural areas of OK dealers focus on atv market. Some have very few motorcyles at all. And even when they do have a few, mostly cruisers. I understand why it's that way, they stock what they can sell. Still disappointing sometimes.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #15250
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
I think my dealer Stadium Yamaha, Irving TX has some for a good price... Call Jason
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #15251
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
A local dealer has a 12 demo for 13k... and a 13 for 14.5k.i think he is nutz.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #15252
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TABASCO~ View Post
I think my dealer Stadium Yamaha, Irving TX has some for a good price... Call Jason

Thanks! I'll give them a look. Not far from my part of the world.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #15253
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 780
Since the subject of price & availability have come up again. What is a "good deal" on these now. The decision has been made that this is my next bike. Dealer over an hour away said they had had no one even look at the one they had in stock for several months, then quoted $13,900 before tax.

Another dealer quoted the same $ OTD on one stuffed in the corner under an inch of dust.

Local dealer hasn't ordered or sold any (large metro area an hour from the mountains).

Advertised prices are all over the map around here.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #15254
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
amazing that in new england they have these in stock and in some dealers even 2012 left over.i am yet to see one on the road here locally.

today i was looking at the 2012 left over fjr and he was pushing me towards the tenere as he has not sold 1 yet.
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #15255
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Regarding supply/demand of the S10 in the US, at the San Mateo (San Francisco area) bike show there were two S10 demo bikes. Test rides "sold out" for the day soon after the show opened, at least on Saturday. Everyone I talked to within a few places of me in the line, wanted to ride the S10. When I asked the Yamaha guy what else was available, he said "Cruisers". I realize that buying is different than taking a free test ride, but I think Yamaha doesn't quite get it.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote