ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #55636
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I drive down the street and give the dude at the weld shop $10.

He does the rest.

Although now that I know Alan has several welders and appears to have plenty of time on his hands, I might just save myself the $10.

Bring it on over. Looks like I am going to be off work until atleast the end of the month.

Kyle rode the War pig up and down the raod today. It is running better. Still has a bog on the low end some times. I Cleaned the carb. yesterday, checked the valves, and put a new spark plug in it. He was riding wheelies in 2nd gear and shifting to 3rd. then the radiator started leaking. The elbow that goes into the top of the tank has a small leak.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #55637
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,314
What kind of carb is in it Alan? It might have an ap pump that needs retimed.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #55638
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
What kind of carb is in it Alan? It might have an ap pump that needs retimed.
Looks like a Keihin FCR-mx39. Thats what the repair manual said it should have. All I know is it is a Keihin. The manual doesn't say anything about timing the pump. You got a link or any more info on how to do it?
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #55639
ohioroadrat
It`s YOUR fault !

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I drive down the street and give the dude at the weld shop $10.

He does the rest.

Although now that I know Alan has several welders and appears to have plenty of time on his hands, I might just save myself the $10.
I know a guy on this site that just finish a very good welding class and bought a very nice welder Maybe he will chime in.......
Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #55640
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Looks like a Keihin FCR-mx39. Thats what the repair manual said it should have. All I know is it is a Keihin. The manual doesn't say anything about timing the pump. You got a link or any more info on how to do it?
ThumperTalk has some really good info on tuning the Yamaha WR carbs. I got a lot of helpful tips for my WR250F over there.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #55641
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Yep, sounds like thats your problem. 4 stroke bog on a slide carb. Could be the ap spring being inconsistent also,they're known to do that. The collective info on it is to install a merge racing ap spring and retune the ap so it runs consistent. There's other mods to get rid of it,but none are as permanent or reliable as the spring.

http://www.mxrob.com/FCR_Install.htm. it's that's the bottom,about 1/3 of the way up. In short,take the carb off,fill the bowl,remove the cable cover, I removed the top cover and used the arm there to turn the throttle instead of the actual throttle wheel. Just lift the slide quick (pressure valve wont allow fuel to shoot if its too slow) and watch the fuel stream. You want it to barely miss the slide. You can adjust the screw on the arm that the throttle wheel contacts. Cant recall which way was to advance or retard it though. Or you can half ass it by leaving it on and just getting to the screw by the cables. IIRC a quarter turn was a good amount when it got close.

Amazing carbs with tons of features and adjustments, unfortunately thats also their downfall when one goes wrong,needs serviced,or you just want something simple. I swapped my dr650 over to one,modded it to fit and use the vac petcock too...I'll be damned if I ever put the stock carb back on now.

Danjal screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 02:03 PM
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #55642
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
I know a guy on this site that just finish a very good welding class and bought a very nice welder Maybe he will chime in.......
Quote:
Bring it on over. Looks like I am going to be off work until atleast the end of the month.
I don't actually need anything done, I just felt out of place with everyone talking about their schweet skills and welding contraptions.

But when I break my frame you'll be my number one dude, then Shawn number 2 (I assume you were talking about Shawn?)

My Smugmug Galleries

MeefZah screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 03:37 PM
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #55643
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Had a blast riding with Sion today temp really wasn't too unbearble

Hey Sion, how did you like that mobile snowman

Pete
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #55644
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioroadrat View Post
Did he take the class here in Troy? ;)
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #55645
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
RallyMoto bike prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I was thinking of this as well. I'll have to check and make sure it's not during the kids spring break. I'll check the thread. I'm mostly interested in the bike prep.
Tech inspection just looks for all the street legal stuff in working order and that it's not obscenely loud. Navigation is done via roll chart so that and a good odometer are required. The sand is heavy sugary sand so tires with deeper knobs work best. The sand is mostly hard packed except for some corners where it gets chewwed up and soft down deep. Barring any big delays they try to finish the bikes before dusk so super bright lights aren't a must.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #55646
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I've been mulling over this since you mentioned it to me. I might be interested. ;)
You'll definitely have a good time.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #55647
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post

Hey Sion, how did you like that mobile snowman

Pete

yeah, what was up with that?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #55648
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,133
I took Wyatt to IP today..he dug it and I left with some new lenses for my goggles...they have the alpinestars tech 3 on sale for $99.00, any input on if they are worth a shit?

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #55649
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
yeah, what was up with that?

I have no clue but I wish I had a pic of it! I need to find a used and abused gopro for moments just like that!
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #55650
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I took Wyatt to IP today..he dug it and I left with some new lenses for my goggles...they have the alpinestars tech 3 on sale for $99.00, any input on if they are worth a shit?
Those are the infamous "buckles get stuck" boots. If you can tolerate that, they are fine. Just don't try to pry them off with a screwdriver, it ends poorly. I leave mine in the buckle and just unlatch and wiggle my foot out.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote