Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp View Post
I have/had 2 SE's 2 950 adv's and a 990 adv. The SE's are obviously better off road then the Adventures, The Adventures are more comfortable for me. Hated my 08 990 and went back to my beloved 05.5.

All that being said. One of my customers bikes is here and for sale. 07 950 SE . 9k miles, Reklusse clutch, 2-1 exaust, aux' tank, Scotts damper, Baja Designs HID light , spare wheels etc........... Asking $7200 PM me for details.
Holy crap thats a nice deal if OP doesn't buy it please PM me my buddy wants one.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
mathews42 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Oh the op wants it for sure and will be going to Cali in the next week or two :)
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
mathews42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #33
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,659
Please conduct flea market sales in the flea market. Thanks in advance.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
Oh the op wants it for sure and will be going to Cali in the next week or two :)
Give Me a heads up when You come out.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #35
mathews42 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds good qwik.
Beads in the headlight a Flying Aga Tale by Isabel Dyson I met these two travelers on their Journey from the UK to Alaska and through South America on a 1979 BMW R100RS. Their book is now on Amazon for Kindle.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #36
kanur
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Glad you found one
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews42 View Post
Awesome! You made the right choice.

I put the small SM windscreen on mine from KTM for $70 and it is pretty much the perfect all around bike. I was looking hard at the $1200 Raid Designs fairing but after riding with the SM screen I decided it's good the way it is.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #38
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Awesome! You made the right choice.

I put the small SM windscreen on mine from KTM for $70 and it is pretty much the perfect all around bike. I was looking hard at the $1200 Raid Designs fairing but after riding with the SM screen I decided it's good the way it is.
which screen are you using on the SE? I've heard that the 690 touring screen is nice but noticed there are two 690 screens and now maybe you are saying there's a SM screen as well?
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #39
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Looks like you have found one Hold out for the SE, then make it your own

Thing is even if you dont like it you will be able to sell it on in a year for more than you pay! There are more buyers than bikes and that's because, simply put, they are one of the finest motorcycles ever made.

950superenduro.com For those who own the best bike!
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
mathews42 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great looking SE! Love the Rally Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso122 View Post
Looks like you have found one Hold out for the SE, then make it your own

Thing is even if you dont like it you will be able to sell it on in a year for more than you pay! There are more buyers than bikes and that's because, simply put, they are one of the finest motorcycles ever made.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #41
JcbKarl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Few more thoughts

Sounds like you may have decided already, but since I've lived with both I'll throw out a few more thoughts. You said you ride a lot of slab. I find the Adv vastly superior to the SE for slab. Two more gallons of gas, less twitchy steering (head tube angle is one degree slacker on the Adv), mufflers that sit a couple inches lower so a bag strapped on top isn't as vulnerable to burns, and an amount of bodywork that is my favorite of all bikes I have ever ridden when it comes to blocking some wind blast but still giving you some fresh air. Sure, I've done 600 mile days on an SE, but I've done 1200 on an Adv

The SE certainly handles tip overs better just because of the gas tank. The SE rides like a heavy, powerful dirt bike. To me the SE feels more nervous, rowdy, exciting. The Adv feels more comfortable. I think the stock Adv rear shock works better than a stock rear SE shock. I think an Adv is basically just as capable off road as an SE as long as the Adv is a 245 or 265 mm suspension version.

I think a KTM Adv can replace a BMW GSA in all but the coldest, wettest, crappiest weather and then can do so much more off road.

All that said, I still won't part with my SE yet, but if I could only have one, it'd be the Adv.
JcbKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #42
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
It comes with the Magura stock, right? I can't remember. Didn't like em whatever they were. I'm running the Renthal Ricky Carmichael high bend and love them.

My philosophy on seats is if it hurts your ass you're not riding enough.
Misery what folding mirrors are on your SE?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #43
Stumpalump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I love my Adventure but have dirt bikes for hard off road use. It blows down the freeway and eats up miles of dirt roads. Its super stable and rides 2 up amazing. The SE will eat up dirt roads better but getting home on the road will not be as pleasant. 2 up may not be as nice because of the height and wind and overall it's just a huge goofy dirt bike. Why do you thing they never sold many? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's not a dirt bike and is marginal on the road. At least the Adv is good on the road and ok off road.
KTM 200 EXC.
XR400
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #44
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump View Post
I love my Adventure but have dirt bikes for hard off road use. It blows down the freeway and eats up miles of dirt roads. Its super stable and rides 2 up amazing. The SE will eat up dirt roads better but getting home on the road will not be as pleasant. 2 up may not be as nice because of the height and wind and overall it's just a huge goofy dirt bike. Why do you thing they never sold many? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's not a dirt bike and is marginal on the road. At least the Adv is good on the road and ok off road.

U should try 1

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #45
FtheRedSticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Never owned an SE. I'd like to! But what I'd say, having ridden dirt bikes for 30 years, owning rice rockets, a plated xr400, and a decked out harley, and only owning my 05 Adventure for about a month. It is the sh$@! I love it. 90 mph+ down the freeway. Up and off the curb at the supermarket. In the dirt, rocks, and mud. Two-up comfortably. Ability to have hard luggage. I love it. Would I like to own an SE. Yes. But I wouldn't sell the adventure to make it happen.

Lastly I would say that as a young adult I bought the 2002 crf450, the first year the high preformance 4 strokes came out. I rode the crap out of it, also throwing a lot of money into it. Anyways, when my first son reached riding age, 3, I no longer had the the time to make use of such a high performance purpose built machine. Well that and it kept on losing compression. So I sold it and went to a plated xr400. The xr was bullet proof. Change the oil twice a year and ride it.

Problem was, it weighed maybe 265 lbs or so. That's a lot of weight when your used to flicking whips over the table top. So now, with my youngest son clearing the able tops, he is now 7, I'm glad I have my kx250.

What I'm trying to say is that the adventure and SE weighs what, maybe 465 lbs wet, can't be flicked into a no footed-whip over the gap. Well maybe it could be whipped, but my pockets aren't deep enough to try it. I had to buy excels when I had the crf450 because I bent the stock wheels doing so.

I guess it depends on what your trying to do. That is up to you! Me personally, I bought the used kx250 some years ago and that is my hardcore mx track, trail, and hills weapon. My adventure is my commuter, trail, and fun, everyday weapon.

FtheRedSticker screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:46 PM
FtheRedSticker is offline   Reply With Quote