ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #15616
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Cool thanks. It had been a while and I couldn't remember for sure but I assumed I did the graphic right at the time.

I seem to remember laying out the money for the Euro lens specifically because I wanted to throw an HID in my low beam and still have a halogen in the high beam so that I could flip it off and on in the canyons without any HID firing delay (same thing I did on my Husky).

Mind you I put a 55 watt HID low beam in my euro lens... there is so much light the high beam is pretty much irrelevant

Guys, the previous owner had installed an upgrade for the stock lights, may be Xenon as he told me, and it's not connected so the lights are European Spec since I bought it.
Soon I will have some time to check what really is that black box on the left of the stock lights and I'm sure I will neeed your already posted info and your merciful help for a noob as well...

Cheers!

liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #15617
BrooklynOffRoader
Concrete or the Dirt.

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
BrooklynOR, great catch!
I'm happy for you, but me... impossible to keep that clock with just 1040 miles in 7 years... I couldn't do you that favor

May be it's a good idea to check the tires, no for the use but for the possibly expired over-dryed rubber?
These are no light beasts and they perform high speeds you know...

ride it, ride it, ride it...
Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion liferider. I guess i should have checked 500 miles ago. Rubber looks fine IMO. But I will install knobbies soon.
Previous owner did suggest I get the carb cleaned but 500 mi later I haven't had any problems.

CHIP
BrooklynOffRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #15618
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Duh.

I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska

Katoom119 screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 06:04 PM
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #15619
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Duh.

I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #15620
bikerbilly
throwing a leg over

Oddometer: 119
seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
this is my 990
Hi mate,

how do you find the seat?

2012 Husaberg FE 570................2004 KTM Adventure 950
bikerbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #15621
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 708
Firm.....
It's not soft by any means. But that being said, it's not uncomfortable. I like it but I'm sure it's not for everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
*2014 Ural Patrol
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #15622
Brokein2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Firm.....
It's not soft by any means. But that being said, it's not uncomfortable. I like it but I'm sure it's not for everybody.

When I had bad Hemorrhoids, I just stopped riding....butt I see you have found a way around that.

In all honesty I have been wondering how those seats were...now I know. Thanks
'14 R1200GS
Brokein2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #15623
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokein2 View Post
When I had bad Hemorrhoids, I just stopped riding....butt I see you have found a way around that.

In all honesty I have been wondering how those seats were...now I know. Thanks
I've been wondering about these seats myself. I know the split seats are great on a road/mtn. bike, but I've been curious how they held up/felt on a "Big" bike.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #15624
bikerbilly
throwing a leg over

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Firm.....

do you notice any difference with the gap down the centre? I usually end up getting sore around the coxics area( ha ha I know) and wondered if that seat might help...

cheers, Bill..

2012 Husaberg FE 570................2004 KTM Adventure 950
bikerbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #15625
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Project 990 'KDV'

Just bagged this healthy-looking, 47,000--mile, 2010 specimen (sans fugly luggage, of course!) from the good people at Dubbelju Motorcycle Rentals (if you know anyone who wants to borrow a proper bike for a tour out of NorCal, Wolfgang's your man), via our mates at Scuderia West in SF.

Now commencing Project 990 'KDV' in earnest...

OK. So, she may well be a high-mileage, former working girl, which means she'll no-doubt have experienced more than her fair share of club-footed gearshift and cack-handed throttle abuse during her time on the streets. But equally, it also suggests that she's unlikely to have suffered too much of a beating at the hands of aggressive off-road riders. And she's been rigorously maintained by the top techs at Scuderia. So, by my [currency-based] logic at least, the bike's only just run in.

And anyhoo, I fully intend to see 200k+ on the clock at some point. So, if I didn't think it'd still be on-form after a measly 47,000, then I wouldn't have bought a 990 in the first place. Regardless of the odo reading.

Plus, the price was right . Which freed up more funds for... Yup! You guessed it...

F-F-F-F-FARKLES!

With a little (lot of) help from the most excellent peeps at Scuderia West / KTMTWINS.com; Black Dog Cycle Works, CJ Designs; Super Plush Suspension and Crispy Designs (the first four of whom co-incidentally also happen to be long-serving members of the 'Kriega Krewe'), a loooong list of upgrades are already emptying my wallet.

To avoid duplicating posts, I'm gonna be chronicling the work-in-progress over in the 'What Did You Do To Your KTM Today' thread, but will whack some shots up here once she's ready to be shown off... then ridden hard and put away wet!

In the meantime, here's what I've got thus far: Crispy's first draft of the custom livery.

There are a few basic corrections to make and other options to try out before it's where I want it, but I do like where it's headed…

There's been a lot of lurking, geeking out, planning and perving over other people's machines (largely facilitated by the awesomeness of the OC community ) - not to mention working my ass off to make this bike happen, but now it's time to jump right in with both feet. Thanks for all the superb information, inspiration and camaraderie. It makes me proud not only to be a fellow Inmate, but also to now have acquired your taste for / obsession with the Orange Crush.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:33 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #15626
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,642
Congrats Michael!!

Are you coming out here to get it?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #15627
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Congrats Michael!!

Are you coming out here to get it?
Unfortunately not, mate. Original idea was to do a fly/ride, but unless I can supply a Bill Of Loading for getting it trucked out of CA, I get hammered for sales tax there and when I register it in NOLA. Which sucks, but there you go...

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 08:18 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #15628
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Unfortunately not, mate. Original idea was to do a fly/ride, but unless I can supply a Bill Of Loading for getting it trucked out of CA, I get hammered for sales tax there and when I register it in NOLA. Which sucks, but there you go...
Bummer.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #15629
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 254
No reason for sales tax here as it is collected when you register the bike at the DMV.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #15630
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
I recently did something similar on my recent bike purchase and an earlier new car purchase.

On the bike, the sales tax was waived in Washington State- I signed an agreement that I was transporting the bike with intent to register it in CA. The dealer (it was a demo) provided a 3 day transit permit for WA state. I was supposed to (in theory) check in with DMV in Oregon and CA for permits when I rode the bike home, but I forgot. I also forgot the permit lasted only a few days on my extended ride home. I also failed to maintain the permit in a visible position, and failed to keep it from falling off on the day of its expiry.

I paid sales tax only here in CA.

IIRC, I paid sales tax in AZ when I bought the car, and then was given credit for that amount when I registered the car in CA- CA taxes were (guess?) higher.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote