Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #46
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
All good conversation. Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, I feel like "The Best 2-Up Adventure Bike" has to satisfy more than just pilot and passenger accommodations - It has to fit the ideals of the owner in many regards, including price, performance, and expectations. That said, the bikes that seem to rise to the top of any discussion similar to this one are the S10, the V-Strom's, the Multistrada, and the new Tiger's - both the 800's and the new 1200. KTM 950-990's rarely are mentioned when comfort is involved, and I am only bringing this up because the SM-T seems to be quite different than their Adventure's, Super Enduro's, and Super Duke. I am still very much stuck between the practicality of the V-Strom's, and the magnetic draw of the SM-T. The SM-T has a 2" shorter wheel base (which I feel is quite significant), and a 1.5" taller seat height, as well as being about 100 lbs lighter than the Strom 1000. All of these things, combined, make the SM-T probably much more fun for a guy like me. I searched Youtube for "V-Strom wheelie" and the results were quite laughable. Jerky - 1st gear, 30 foot results, for the most part. The same search for the SM-T, OTOH, left me wanting a test ride.
I know that almost any bike seat has a good chance of requiring personal fitting, and the SM-T and the MS are no exceptions. The Stroms, Tiger's, and the S10's seats may start off closer to target, though.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #47
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
She loves it -- but she's only been on it for a 20-mile ride. I've been riding every chance I get, but she's a fair-weather pillion. She said to me, "I think you found the perfect bike for us!" Of course, she may just be trying to get me to stop buying new bikes.

This one will take us across Canada and back next summer.
I hope to hear my wife say those very words for whatever reason.
Thanks for the reply. Always have to keep an open mind.
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #48
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I think the SM-T is checking all your boxes. Whatcha waitin' for!?!? Get out there and test ride one!! Be sure to spend a good hour on the bike. I'm sure you don't need to be told, but a good dealer will allow for a reasonable test ride.

Ahhh....the joys of bike hunting.

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #49
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

I doubt that anybody would allow a test ride in this season up here. The roads are full of sand and salt! I think you are right, though... I am really drawn to the SM-T. I have never bought a *new* motorcycle, much less an expensive, exotic one. The most I have ever paid for a bike was around $2,500. I did buy my wife a new quad last year, though... that was one of the best purchases I ever made. She instantly fell in love with trail riding. If I could get her on her own bike, that would change *everything*. I have a Ninja 250 that I picked up for our youngest daughter (and now, she wants a bigger bike, but that is another story..) and she looks at it every now and then, but I think that she is afraid to try it. I let my niece try it last year, and now she wants one (whatcha waiting for Pete?). Anyway, if my wife rode, we would probably be looking at 2 new bikes, but she *loves* riding in the passenger seat, and I don't mind at all... other than trying to find the *perfect* 2 up bike. Is it so hard to mix reliability, price, *fun*, and comfort? Apparently, it is. To tell the truth, the S10, the Multi, the KTM, the 'Strom, and the big Tiger do not appear to offer enough comfort for us. *None* of them do, so I start leaning back towards the *fun* aspect of the purchase, and figure that I am going to have to make some parts to drop the pegs, get some weather protection, and modify the seat on anything we end up with, and if that is the case, I might as well spring for something that can snap up a wheelie in 2nd or 3rd gear, coming out of a turn... Only the Multi and the SMT can do that, as far as I know.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #50
cb4017
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I've also been on the hunt for an Adventure style bike that would work for 2-up touring. A while back I had a 650 Versys. The seat could have been a little better but my aging knees loved the relaxed seating position. The bike was the most fun I've had on 2 wheels in years but it wasn't going to work for 2-up touring. I want a relaxed ride with plenty of seat and leg room.

I've had several BMWs over the years and I don't want another.

I looked at the Super Tenere. It just didn't do anything for us.

Also looked at the DL1000. It would work, it's not as ugly in person and the price is right. Wife is comfortable on the back.

The bike I really want is the Versys 1000. Unfortunately not available in the US. I have a feeling that if I settle for, and buy, something else Kawasaki will decide to import the V1000.

For now I'm going to wait until spring to decide. Maybe Kawasaki will come around by then...
I was a Vietnam Veteran before it was popular.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
cb4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #51
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I might as well spring for something that can snap up a wheelie in 2nd or 3rd gear, coming out of a turn... Only the Multi and the SMT can do that, as far as I know.
As you are concerned about the electronics (I'm not personally, so was happy to get my MTS Touring) you might consider the standard suspension on a Multistrada. It has everything the S version has except the Skyhook suspension, and my wife and I find it very comfortable, and we both have a lot of time in the hunt. It has enough electrical suds to allow you both all the accessories you want and to still plug both people in with heated clothing. The new bike's aero-management is said to be improved (I find my '12 adequate...no worse than my GS was, as is) and nothing on your list will give anything remotely like the grins a Multistrada will. Buy whatever luggage you like and it will still be a couple of thousand bucks cheaper than an "S" and the standard suspension is of very good quality.

I still have my last generation Caponord as well (can't seem to give it up!). I sold my GS a couple of years ago and can't say I've much missed it. The Ducati is an excellent two up machine but I would also look carefully at the new Aprilia Caponord as a (potentially) less expensive alternative IF you have the ability to deal with Aprilia's somewhat sketchy dealer network. If you have a good local dealer, that is a much less significant issue. My Capo has been a very reliable bike, and I think the new one may well be better.

My GS was a great touring bike for my kind of riding, but not nearly as much fun to ride as the MTS1200, though it remains to be seen about the new (water cooled) BMW. Since you have a bias against the BMW, there is really very little reason to talk you out of one anyway () but if you haven't already ridden the Multistrada (I think you said you hadn't) then I suspect all it would take is a ride to demonstrate just what a fabulous machine Ducati has developed in respect to catering to people who want a comfortable long distance ride across most terrain while still retaining the thrill of a truly high performance motorcycle. It's delicious, and I don't think the standard suspension is much of a detriment, and should you find it needs a bit of tweaking, it will be quite reasonable to modify to your standards.

In respect to dirt; I was never very comfortable on my GS either, but taking the Ducati off into the bushes really isn't part of my program. I find it about equal on gravel and fire trails, and that represents the limit of my comfort level. Other people here are more skilled and daring with these big expensive bikes on dirt, but that isn't my program....long distance is. If you are really into doing serious dirt, I suspect none of the big adventure rigs possibly excepting the KTM (and even then....) are much to be admired.

For real world two up riding (and even more, going solo) the Ducati is a thrilling solution if you are comfortable with the buy in. It's got "it" and has a cachet that makes just looking at it in the garage satisfying on the cold, wet nights we have to suffer through until spring arrives.

Pampero screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 10:00 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #52
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
the Ducati is a thrilling solution if you are comfortable with the buy in. It's got "it" and has a cachet that makes just looking at it in the garage satisfying
I'm sure you are very close to being called an elitist. That is what I was called for saying pretty much what you just said about having a Multistrada. This is Beasts, tone it down a bit, ok?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #53
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
I'm sure you are very close to being called an elitist. That is what I was called for saying pretty much what you just said about having a Multistrada. This is Beasts, tone it down a bit, ok?
I am suitably chastened!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #54
biker4ever
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
my new ride

we lost all our bikes to a house fire this fall, so I've been shopping for the perfect bikes. We had a R1200RT, two F650GS's, WR250F, and a XT225. So far we have purchased a Triumph Tiger Explorer, Tiger 800, and a WR450F. Having the features I liked on my RT (abs, cruise control, heated grips) I decided to test ride the Explorer, after a 20 min test ride I knew this was the bike for me. Now I need to make it as comfortable for my wife as the RT was once we put on Russell Daylong seat, she hasn't been able to ride with me yet (snow in Minnesota) so we will have to see if it needs anything to keep her happy. I did get to ride it about 120 miles before the weather was to bad. I think I made the right choice for the bike I want to tour on, all roads are not paved even on long rides, and some of the best places to see aren't on roads at all. For me, the Tiger for many reasons is the right bike for us. Not to mention the price of the accessories which are half the price of anything for a BMW.
BikerGirl4ever's TRIUMPH TIGER 800
biker4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #55
Sound Farm OP
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Great info guys thanx for all the responses. I wish I could ride some of these bikes and really feel the difference
Currently I am starting to think I need to stick with an 800xc , f800gs, or a 950/990
I am starting to believe the big 1200s although great for touring and two up might leave a bit to be desired when riding solo. Just to big of a bike , is my thought. And I think I would like to stick with that 21" front wheel for offroad purposes. which not to many of the 1000cc and over come with. I know I started this as the 2up question . But can I get any feedback with what I just said in mind. ?
Is a 950/990 just as big as 1200gs and Super 10 , and Explorer 1200? OR would it be a good meet in the middle size? are the 800s just to small for any 2up riding?

Sound Farm screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 07:04 AM
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #56
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

" are the 800s just to small for any 2-up riding?" - Personally, I don't think so, but I guess that the answer to that question really depends on what *kind* of riding you are talking about. Right now, the V-Strom 650 is at the top of my list because my wife and I do not intend to do a whole bunch of highway traveling together. We like to take back roads. I feel that a v-twin 650 will have more than enough power for that. My old DR650 had plenty of power, it just wasn't comfortable, or smooth enough for us.
The other thing that I consider to be very important is: I had an 885 Triumph triple, and I found that, for my morning work commute, sometimes it was just too big to wheel out of the garage in the morning. I would end up taking our Ninja 250 instead, simply because I could get moving faster, and with much less effort. I know that sounds a bit odd, but it was true for me. I do not want a big, heavy bike, unless I am going to be on a highway for a long time.
For me, whether in the woods, on my dirt bike, or on the road, I always want something small, light, powerful, and maneuverable, especially when I get tired or fatigued.
We have not seen or sat on a new CB500-X yet, but if it is anything like the NC700-X, the passenger accommodations are not good enough.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
Sound Farm OP
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
for those who know- should a 950/990 be put in the same class as a 1200GS size wize? or is it truly in between the 800s and the 1200s.?
and
can I get any comparo between the f800gs and the T 800XC? the triumph "looks" to be more comfortable for 2 up compared to the GS800 but thats "looks" -- chime in if you have ridden both please :)

its starting to look like its between the 2 800s and a 990 but Im still researching.
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #58
Pacific
Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
for those who know- should a 950/990 be put in the same class as a 1200GS size wize? or is it truly in between the 800s and the 1200s.?
and
can I get any comparo between the f800gs and the T 800XC? the triumph "looks" to be more comfortable for 2 up compared to the GS800 but thats "looks" -- chime in if you have ridden both please :)

its starting to look like its between the 2 800s and a 990 but Im still researching.
The 800XC is not too small for touring. I'm 6'5", 250, and my wife is 5'3" 120. Add loaded Jesse cases and a tank bag and attgatt. We did 6k miles of secondary roads last summer. If there's any heft to you, swap out the seat. Brutal as it softens, and a bad angle with the tailbone for all-day riding. Bike was brilliant, though. Won't have the power of the 990, but it's totally competent. Can't speak to two-up off-road. Wife won't go there.

Brakes were wooden in quick-stops at speeds. Another kind of pad may have helped. Sold the bike for a 1200 Explorer, so that should tell you something. There are better ADV bikes for 2up touring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #59
Radzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Tiger800XC

Ive had a Tiger 800XC for 2 years now and often tour 2 up either with my wife (70kg) or one of my 2 daughters ( about 55kg). I weigh roughly 95kg and even with full camping pack onboard at the same time the Tiger goes well and and the passangers always seem happy enough. Most of the riding is on tarmac, but with about 10% gravel roads. Gooood bike!
Radzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #60
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151

I like KTM's 1190 Adventure for best 2up !!!! for ADV.
I will report on this here as soon as KTM will sell me one here in California.

coast range rider screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 11:25 AM
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote