Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #166
Balder681
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCal View Post
The main thing is to know that it's there; because knowing is half the battle.
Sure! Thx for sharing it anyway

Cheers,
Nik.
Balder681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #167
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,342
wow, thanks guys. this has helped a bunch.

a few things i found after having my bike just at 30 days;

1) there was already moisture in the swing arm. drilling the holes is a necessity. i live in the dez and the only water i can think of the bike has been exposed to was during washing.

2) steering stops. mine were way to far out. adjusting them made a huge diff in the turning radius of the bike.

3) for you LC4 owners. you can use the left hand mirror mount off the 640 as a repalcement for your right mirror mount that is attached to the master cylinder. not a "perfect" replacement but good enough to make due until i do get the correct one.

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #168
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
I too, did several of these tips just yesterday! I've only had mine for less than a week.......going to remove the screws from under the gas caps tonight! Before I forget!!!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #169
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

There, all done with one more item.

Also, a big thank you to GEEK and all the other contributors to this thread. It has been exactly what I needed in order to get familiar with the new steed.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #170
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Super awesome thread.

As a new 950 owner, should be taking delivery tonight, this thread is very useful!

A few things I plan to do to the bike as soon as I possibly can based on a conversation with CJ and things I have read:

1: CJ's HD water pump kit regardless if it needs it or not. I am 99% sure it hasn't been done. This to me will be a great piece of mind knowing I shouldn't have any issues for a long long time with the water pump. I will likely send my case in to CJ to do the install.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...-cover-gasket/

2. CJ's fuel pump re-design kit. This will put my mind at ease at having a non-failing fuel pump. This will also turn the system into a true-dual tank.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...lastic-filter/

3. clutch oil jet, seems like the right thing to do. CJ said it wasnt critical like the water pump or fuel pump but it is something that should be addressed.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/clutch-oil-jet/

These are my top 3 things I plan to do to the bike that seem to be hot issues wherever you look. I planned to do this before I even bought the bike knowing they likely haven't been done. Other things that have been mentioned in this thread are all things to consider and will address...and of course I plan to strip the bike down and make love to it putting it back together familiarizing myself with every nut and bolt. I think a 100% fluid change goes without saying.

I have a few months until the real 'season' begins again so plenty of time to address these things.

Again, thank you for this thread! I wish I would have found it when I started looking at a 9x0.
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #171
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
"R" FI map

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I bought my '10 990 about a year ago.... I loaded the '11 "R" FI map into it and have not looked back
For 2012 the standard Adventure and the R model are both rated at the same HP (115 I think). The dealer told me all they did was put the R map onto the standard model. Do you feel that your R map gave your bike the same power as the R models (of 2011 and 2012)? In other words, no hardware changes/upgrades needed, just the map, to get the same power as the Rs?
everetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #172
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
I'd save my money for tires and oil. . .

[QUOTE=beergut;20387397]
1: CJ's HD water pump kit regardless if it needs it or not. I am 99% sure it hasn't been done. This to me will be a great piece of mind knowing I shouldn't have any issues for a long long time with the water pump. I will likely send my case in to CJ to do the install.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/ktm-lc8-water-pump-complete-kit-short-with-cover-gasket/

2. CJ's fuel pump re-design kit. This will put my mind at ease at having a non-failing fuel pump. This will also turn the system into a true-dual tank.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/facet-fuel-pump-kit-for-lc8-950-plastic-filter/

3. clutch oil jet, seems like the right thing to do. CJ said it wasnt critical like the water pump or fuel pump but it is something that should be addressed.
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products/clutch-oil-jet/

(see Beer Gut above. . . )

Just my 2 cents - I bought an '06 new in January '07 as the injected models came into the showrooms. I like the carbs - they're spot on - my exhaust tips stay clean. The bike will start above 60 degrees sans choke.

I've never had any problems during my first 25k miles with any of the above. I did have a clutch slave failure (common) that's any easy replacement (use the correct mineral oil). My rear shock rebound adjuster froze up - click it now and then even if you're not adjusting the settings for the day (not a cheap fix). There was also a service bulletin on a starter clutch (scary noisy - you can't mistake it). My chain stretched out in 20k although the sprockets looked good. This will also make a noise that can be mistaken for top-end engine noise (it did for me). Just measure you chain (see handbook/manual) - cheaper than a trip to the shop when it was only a chain. . . and lube those chain adjuster bolts every tire change.

Also, don't expect any 'recalls' - they don't happen. KTM has 'service bulletins' for the repair shops. If a 'service bulletin issue' develops, they will be aware of it and you will get (hopefully) a quick, knowledgeable repair when you bring your bike into the shop. The shop will plug you (and your serial number) into the shop/KTM data base. If you're lucky like me, you will develop a friendly relationship with your KTM mechanic.

I bought the taller KTM/OEM wind shield - I should have bought it the first week.

IMHO - that's a pretty good up-time record.

Spend money if you like - it seems to be popular around performance bike owners. As a dirt bike rider, I keep a watch on as many of the bike systems as I can - preventative maintenance, if you will, and try to spot developing problems, before they become expensive problems.

This is the best all-around (street) bike I've ever owned in the last 40 years.

You will enjoy this bike.

BOB RAMSAY screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 02:36 PM
BOB RAMSAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #173
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
...and of course I plan to strip the bike down and make love to it putting it back together familiarizing myself with every nut and bolt.
Perhaps you should consider one of these seats:

Seats like this always bring up images of the SNL commercial for the Mercury Mistress.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #174
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Now that was funny! I'd not ever seen that before.......
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #175
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Thanks for the reply. I will take that into consideration!

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #176
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Thanks for this thread, drilled my swing arm today and half a cup of water poured out the hole on one side! No creek crossings, washed the bike twice in 5 months, most recently yesterday.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #177
99sleepyhollow
JOEY DUNLOP 26 TT WINS

Oddometer: 252
The oil pressure switch is prone to failure and if anyone has had the job of changing only the oil pressure they'll tell ya it's a bastard of a job but if you change the oil pressure switch every 9,000 miles when your doing the valves is a piece a piss to do as the bike is already tore down and it only costs a fiver or to you lot on the other side of the planet about 8 bucks
99sleepyhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #178
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 784
I remember reading about an alternative oil pressure switch that was more reliable.
For the love of KTM, I cant find it. Any help out there?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #179
Tikka Man
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sleepyhollow View Post
The oil pressure switch is prone to failure and if anyone has had the job of changing only the oil pressure they'll tell ya it's a bastard of a job but if you change the oil pressure switch every 9,000 miles when your doing the valves is a piece a piss to do as the bike is already tore down and it only costs a fiver or to you lot on the other side of the planet about 8 bucks
Is this something that is an issue on the 2012 990 or just a problem on the earliest MY bikes and 950?

KTM 990 Adventure, BMW F650 GS Dakar, Yamaha WR250R, Porsche 993 race car
Tikka Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #180
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 554
Thumbs Up for the tread...

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote