Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
Suspension question for a 990

I've beat around this question before and never really got a answer, so sorry, here goes again.

I know and I've read all the "who's best to build the 990 suspension" I'll get all kinds of SPS is the best, Javier is the best, My bike has been transformed, My bike floats and all this. And I've talked to James and Javier both and both are very nice guys and I appreciate them taking time to talk to me.

So, I ride a 07 990 S. About 50/50, all off road is forest road, some a little rocky. I don't ride baja style all out wide open thru the desert racing at 90 mph. I'm an older, more conservetive rider, but I do want a plush ride without kick back or rebound. And the "dive" has to go.

So, now I've got 2 leaky fork seals on my stock forks with 24K miles on them. I also know I need heaver springs for the forks, so I've now got to decide weather to send them from AR to CA for a SPS/TT rebuild or drive to the local Pro Action shop.

I guess there is no good, quick answer to my question, but I'll try. What does SPS/TT suspension shops do that the local suspension shop cant do? Do they know deep, dark secrets about our bikes?? Do they sprinkle magic dust on them while working on them? Or can I take them to the local suspension shop and the mech look at a chart for this spring, this valve, this oil and rebuild it to certain spec's and be plenty good for the avg JoeBlow rider. Will there really be a WOW factor with SPS/TT?? I know the only way to know for sure is to take identical bikes to each shop and get them done...

I've used big name shops twice (not SPS or TT). Both on small dirt bikes, one was great and one not so great, But even when I spent $800 on the not so great suspension, you should have heard me on the first ride around all my buds, "Man this is the latest, greatest, ect!" So I know them more we spend, the better its gotta be! At least for a while.

So, just looking for your thoughts, not necessarily your testimony on how well your SPS/TT bike is?? May be a little techy info (but not too techy).

BTW, I think the 990 S suspension is pretty darn good as stock (without the dive)