Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #4696
mudpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I don't think the mmp spring is enough for you, you need the Eibach 500.
Check out the chart here.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...3Vm52Dt5w009Cg
MMP shock has load weight at 330lb with 8kg spring
mudpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #4697
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
You may find it easier to find a automotive suspension shop to change the spring out for you for $20 or $50 if you don't have the tools. Safer that way anyway.
Could just check the local bike shops as well, most are slow enough these days that they don't mind little piece meal stuff like this. I know my local shop would do it. work is work these days
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #4698
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpi View Post
MMP shock has load weight at 330lb with 8kg spring
I question that.The Eibach chart is giving different rider weights.
Also I run a 500 in.lb spring and weigh quite a bit less than you and my spring isn't harsh.
That mmp spring is equal to a 450 inch lb.
Also, Eibach has been in the spring business for a long time.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #4699
mudpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I question that.The Eibach chart is giving different rider weights.
Also I run a 500 in.lb spring and weigh quite a bit less than you and my spring isn't harsh.
That mmp spring is equal to a 450 inch lb.
Also, Eibach has been in the spring business for a long time.
yes Eibach is a great spring ran them on some rally cars but was unclear of weight and kg. ratings for bikes, the price is the same on replacement coil Thanks
mudpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #4700
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Could just check the local bike shops as well, most are slow enough these days that they don't mind little piece meal stuff like this. I know my local shop would do it. work is work these days
Yes, that too.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #4701
firewatermetal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Rookie mistake - broken subframe bolts

Yesterday the subframe bolts broke on my KLR. I only noticed it when the back-end was sitting on the tire all the sudden while I was riding.

They seem to have been broken for a while and my mistake was not checking them earlier. The good news is that I was only 1 mile from home.

Looks like I'm going to have to attempt to use an easy-out to remove the broken bits and then attempt the upgrade to the bolt.

When the rear was dangling off the back this put tension on the battery cable and other wiring; this tension broke the neg. battery post. Looks like I will be getting a new battery out of the deal, unless I can figure a way to salvage the broken post.

steed:2004 KLR650
1998 Dodge 2500
firewatermetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #4702
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatermetal View Post
Yesterday the subframe bolts broke on my KLR. I only noticed it when the back-end was sitting on the tire all the sudden while I was riding.

They seem to have been broken for a while and my mistake was not checking them earlier. The good news is that I was only 1 mile from home.

Looks like I'm going to have to attempt to use an easy-out to remove the broken bits and then attempt the upgrade to the bolt.

When the rear was dangling off the back this put tension on the battery cable and other wiring; this tension broke the neg. battery post. Looks like I will be getting a new battery out of the deal, unless I can figure a way to salvage the broken post.
Look at eagle mikes drill through kit might save you some hassle.

http://www.eaglemike.com/Drill-throu...-kit-DTSUK.htm

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #4703
A1pheus
Electronics Guru

Oddometer: 2
Cant go wrong with Eagle Mikes Drill Through. I installed it on a project I'm working on.

Its long because this is the SW Motec Crash Bar kit...

[IMG][/IMG]
A1pheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #4704
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatermetal View Post

I lost both my upper bolts last spring on the way home from a 4 day camping trip....I ended up getting a ride home from the wife

I chose the drill through method for repair and while it was a little difficult drilling through grade 10 bolts it was not impossible. And probably much easier than trying to easy out the broken bolt remnants.

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #4705
kdzidoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I just ordered the pd nerf bars, should be here Tuesday. I'll know more then.

I have a givi topcase on my fjr that holds 2 helmets. It's huge, I wouldn't want it on the klr. You're not going to get any smaller though and still hold 2. I just carry a bicycle cable. Run it through the back wheel, through a grab handle, and around the chin bar. Covers all the bases.

Fjr with givi.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

Good call. The Givi looks way too big now that I see it on a bike. The bike cable lock sounds better.
kdzidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #4706
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,253
Subframe bolts

I just replaced the 10.x upper subframe bolts, one lower 10.x, and one lower stock grade, with 12.9. The local KLRistas said that 12.9, properly torqued, will not break unless I'm extreme on load and trail. Do ya'll know of 12.9 (non drill through) upper bolts shearing?

thanks.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #4707
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,469
I can't recall if it was this thread where we recently had a discussion on the non-stock choke options...

Anyhow, I got around to installing the KLX plunger choke today. Two trips to the carwash still couldn't get all the dirt off my bike from the New Year's Day Hangover Ride, so I made due.

With the IMS tank, this little choke is nearly impossible to reach, so before I installed, I drilled 2 holes in the knob and threaded some wire through it so I had something easier to grasp. The choke clicks into the full-on position and with a little nudge snaps back to the off position, which I like.

The wire I added allows it to be situated right above the petcock and I can grab it without having to search around. I don't have a review on real-world usage yet, but other inmates have noted success with this part swap...

Mediocre cell pics:

DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #4708
Hessian42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Just throwing this out there............

I'm currently 8,000 miles into my MIAMI to PATAGONIA trip and currently crashing in L.A with a fellow adver. I'm working to save up a few bucks to both prep the bike better for the southern portion of the trip and for much needed extra cash for the long road south. I'm on a tight ass budget and looking to upgrade a few key things on my KLR and was hoping maybe fellow advers might have stuff laying around i need and they'd let go off on the cheap.

Looking for the following

aluminum or steel bash guard any shape or make.
heavier fork springs (250-300lbs load)
radiator crash bar
fork brace
rear disc shark fin
heated grips
used water proof gps any kind as long as it works

I have a fedex account and can take care of shipping as well as paypal.

tks all!

http://hessianforpatagonia.blogspot.com/

Hessian42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #4709
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Did a valve check on my 2 KLRs. I think it was the first one for both, maybe the 2nd for one of them. Out of both, only 1 exhaust valve was to tight. Still going to change them all out to the looser spec.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #4710
BBGS
East Coaster

Oddometer: 79
Hand guards , tail case, crash bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzidoc View Post
Should I post this here or in the yard sale area?

Looking for suggestions on nerf bars or engine guards and lockable tail bags. I've looked on happy trails, but don't know of those are the best out there. You guys know all.

the PD nerf bars look OK, but what is the difference in engine guards and nerf bars?

Any suggestions on lockable tail bags, we can't find one that will hold 2 helmets and back support.

Thanks,
I installed twisted throttle motech front engine guards. Happy with them and did some research on them. Bark buster hand guards were installed too. Both have already came in handy. I have kept a Givi 52 tail bag around for my last three bikes. Real happy with the bag. Comes off easy and holds two helmets. Comes with back rest support option too.
I would go next time with soft side cases and not the happy trail bags. They are the old style HP bags though. New ones are much better.
Castle Rock, CO
BBGS is offline   Reply With Quote