Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #32296
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 976
I know exactly where that's at. I'm looking for a WR in OHIO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
They certainly are fun through the twisties!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #32297
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I'm pretty sure pfy50 would agree with the edit.
Yes jon_l,
Silly me
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #32298
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
I know exactly where that's at. I'm looking for a WR in OHIO.
Oh so you are sold on the WR then???? Excellent. How far are you willing to go?

I will make you the same offer I make a lot of guys looking at maybe buying a bike far away: I love road trips, comp my gas and food and I'll drive damn near anywhere and trailer it back for ya....

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #32299
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

I will make you the same offer I make a lot of guys looking at maybe buying a bike far away: I love road trips, comp my gas and food and I'll drive damn near anywhere and trailer it back for ya....
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #32300
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post

Probably sold on the WR. The XT's seem to be around 2.5 and up for low mileage examples. The DRZ is still a strong contender, found an E model in Copley with SM wheel set and original wheels asking 3400. I just know I will never be a woods rider, gravel and county back road gawking are my thing. I've sorta thought the WR would be overkill for my use. The WR's maintenance/durability, EFI and MPG are very attractive. Winter bike shopping has been my friend in the past as far as picking up a project to fix, ride and flip when the weather turns warm. Seasonal shopping seems to be quite different when looking for something specific. 3 inmates have pm'd me with 2 fair offers, the other not mentioning price. One in particular I will probably call when I have $ in hand.

Been using search tempest for CL within 200 miles. You are the man Meef, thanks for the offer, may take you up on it.

Disclaimer: as long as there are no pants around the ankle camping invites
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Surrender to win.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #32301
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Has anyone tried a Pirelli scorpion rally front tire on their wr , I can't decide between the scorpion rally, scorpion pro or mt-21.

I have about 600 miles on a Pirelli Scorpion Pro , and its been a love.. hate thing.

Sand is where it shines for me. Performs the best, of the tires I've tried so far. On the road, it took awhile to get used to the front squirming around in grooves etc.

Always a eternal quest for the "right tire". I've ran 606's and MT21's before this, and are probably a better all around tire for my application.

They Pirelli's do have some good reviews on them, and are priced right.

Bgunn screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 10:54 AM
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #32302
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Some more free parts, if you pay shipping

Here is the link to my thread in the Flea Market. Figured better to give it away than throw it away.

And the taillight/rear end assembly I'm selling.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #32303
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post

Disclaimer: as long as there are no pants around the ankle camping invites
If you went camping, and you woke up, and there was a condom hanging out of your butthole, would you tell anyone?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #32304
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
I have about 600 miles on a Pirelli Scorpion Pro , and its been a love.. hate thing.
Any idea how many miles it'll last for? I love the idea of it handling well in the sand, and I'm not too concerned about it being a little squirly on the pavement. I ride pretty easy on the road, and rarely go over 55 mph. I do put in a decent number of road miles getting to trails though, so it has to survive that.
avgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #32305
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,662
Battery issue??

I have noticed post about batteries in the past, but never paid much attention.

Due to other commitments, I knew I was not gonna be riding this much this winter, so I got a battery tender for the WRR( already had one for my SV1000 street bike).

long story short, after starting both bikes and having them warm up, and turning the bikes off, the Suzuki battery tender indicated a fully charged battery(green solid light) minutes later, while the WRR one was red, then green blinking, and not fully green 30 minutes later, when I was done with bikes and closing shed. ( red= below 80%, blinking green=80% charged, solid green= fully charged)

These Yamaha batteries suffer short life??? What are people replacing them with?

For the record, the battery has not failed me yet, but I am noticing more and more hard starts.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 12:50 PM Reason: typo
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #32306
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

For the record, the battery has not failed me yet, but I am noticing more and more hard starts.
Several people have ruined their speedometer / head unit by waiting too long to change a battery that's going weak. It's something to do with cranking it until it's dead that fries that fries a circuit. The result is the speedometer and odometer run 2.5 times faster than they should.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #32307
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
Several people have ruined their speedometer / head unit by waiting too long to change a battery that's going weak. It's something to do with cranking it until it's dead that fries that fries a circuit. The result is the speedometer and odometer run 2.5 times faster than they should.
hope that does not happen. So far, so good....but if the battery needs to be replaced, I'll handle that when needed. Hopefully the battery tender will prevent that issue from surfacing.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #32308
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
You may want to check the battery connections, if you haven't already. I use star washers on mine so they don't loosen up.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #32309
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Any idea how many miles it'll last for? I love the idea of it handling well in the sand, and I'm not too concerned about it being a little squirly on the pavement. I ride pretty easy on the road, and rarely go over 55 mph. I do put in a decent number of road miles getting to trails though, so it has to survive that.

Can't say for sure, but with guys running them on heavy dual sports, and being "Rated best DOT tire by Dirt Bike Magazine" I'm hoping it will be decent.

I'm getting use to the squirly on the pavement part. Probably won't notice it afterwhile.

If sand is your thing, they work well.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #32310
Old_Crow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by idc22 View Post
Just picked up 2008 model, with FMF Power Bomb header, Q4 muffler, but no air box mods or power programmer. The bike has a bad stumbling at small throttle opening, not just immediately off idle which I see many references to, but if you hold it just barely open it will stumble along, clearing up once you crack it more open and get the revs up. It is very pronounced when cold. Thoughts?
Do all the airbox mods/AIS removal. If it's still a problem, get the G2 throttle tamer for dirt bikes. I did all of the above (with exhaust, power programmer, uni-filter) and the bike behaves 100% perfect now no matter how you use the throttle. Rolling on a little bit of throttle, with the throttle behaving like an on/off switch, was very difficult. Mods = mandatory permanant cure.

I suppose it's also possible that you have a dirty spark plug, but that's a cheap and easy question to set aside. Worst case scenario is a weak fuel pump but I seriously doubt it.

Quote:
Has anyone tried a Pirelli scorpion rally front tire on their wr250r? I'm looking for something that will handle the deep sand better than my current T63 front, can still handle sharp volcanic rock and won't melt away on the roads. Maybe I'm just to indecisive, I can't decide between the scorpion rally, scorpion pro or mt-21.
I've been running the Scorpion Pro FIM on the front for a little while. The tire shines most in mud, performs well in sand, dirt, and rocks, and is so-so on gravel and paved roads. I'm expecting to get at least 2000 miles out of it and I'll probably replace it with another just like it since I drive conservatively on the street and really want the best possible off road traction. Road travel is civil, just not confidence inspiring. Running the MT-43 on the rear.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote