Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #91
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,831
Finished installing 1/4" pegboard all the way around our garage so that I can mount as much as possible on the walls. Our garage is a two car but doesn't have much extra space.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #92
Failo
Is it spring yet???

Oddometer: 167
Just another KTM 950 oil change

Failo screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 06:29 AM Reason: typo
Failo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #93
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Toying around with the idea of some tire chains...

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....92&postcount=6

Would love some feedback.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #94
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,898
Nothing. It's way too damn cold out there. In fact I've needed to change the oil on the Miata for over a month and haven't done it because the daytime temps haven't gotten much over freezing for well over a week now.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #95
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,499
Added Barbacks:

Cleaned and painted.

Made a fatfoot from an old sign.

Installed Grip Puppies

Fixed a badly scratched windscreen.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #96
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Holiday Garage saga...

The day before Christmas break began, I am a teacher, the clutch went out in my '99 Tacoma 4x4. So for the last 1.5 weeks I have: replace the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder. I had to remove the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, etc. Replaced fluids and lubed up everything. Tonight, after replacing the master cylinder: TADA! The clutch works again. Did it all myself, with a bit of help from the Nephew to put the tranny back in, and the lovely and talented assistant (my wife) bleeding the system over and over again! Plus, it isn't much of a garage...just a carport with shifting plywood to move heavy bits around. To tie this into motorcycle stuff, I used a motorcycle jack, from Harbor Freight, to move the tranny and transfer case about.

Sadly, Monday the drudgery begins anew with kids returning on Tuesday. BUT, the truck is a truck again!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #97
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
The day before Christmas break began,
And you call that a break?

Congratulations on successful completion of a large, nasty job!

All I managed to do was minor cleanup (trying to move stuff away from the Monitor heater so I can start it without singeing all my valuable crap). It's sooo sloooooow.....
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #98
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
The other day I added a second story to my home made kayak rack so I could get the second boat off the floor and have my 3 bikes side by side. Tired of moving one so I can get out another one. Left for Borrego yesterday, was putting together my first tool kit and couldn't find my new allen wrench set or 12 mm wrench. Grrrrr. Guess I'll have to work some more on the garage when I get back.

In my district we have a shorter summer, but 3 weeks for winter break.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #99
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
The day before Christmas break began, I am a teacher, the clutch went out in my '99 Tacoma 4x4. So for the last 1.5 weeks I have: replace the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder. I had to remove the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, etc. Replaced fluids and lubed up everything. Tonight, after replacing the master cylinder: TADA! The clutch works again. Did it all myself, with a bit of help from the Nephew to put the tranny back in, and the lovely and talented assistant (my wife) bleeding the system over and over again! Plus, it isn't much of a garage...just a carport with shifting plywood to move heavy bits around. To tie this into motorcycle stuff, I used a motorcycle jack, from Harbor Freight, to move the tranny and transfer case about.

Sadly, Monday the drudgery begins anew with kids returning on Tuesday. BUT, the truck is a truck again!!!
Feels good to do it yourself.

I feel your pain though, I was a teacher for 5 years. Low pay, bad parents, kids that do not behave, and no respect from the general public.

Thank God (who you can't mention in school), that the rewards of the job outweigh the bad.

Jim
Old 01-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #100
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Feels good to do it yourself.

I feel your pain though, I was a teacher for 5 years. Low pay, bad parents, kids that do not behave, and no respect from the general public.

Thank God (who you can't mention in school), that the rewards of the job outweigh the bad.

Jim
Bad behavior IS my job. I teach at the alternative school in my county. I am the HS science guy. Been doing so for 17 seasons. Horrible parents....had one get arrested along with his son this last semester. The bad behavior, often, is learned at home! I like it so far...but, there are days!

I enjoy wrenching on my vehicles. But, often I am doing things I have never done before...like this. Never worked on a hydraulic clutch before....very different stuff. And, it has been 20 years since I pulled a tranny. But, I have the tools, time, and determination. The sense of satisfaction of doing it "yourself" cannot be overstated...I wish more people today would do "hard" things, might solve some of their angst!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #101
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,474
Laugh

Hooked up my external speakers to the laptop for some awesome sound!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #102
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,951
I spent a few hours tinkering with my pressurized tank sandblaster to get it working like a charm as well as setting up a mock blasting room out of tarps and gun tape. Just call me Red Green! Now I can blast the polaris colt for welding repair, blast the RZ 500 frame and XT 550 frame for total restoration. A great evening that will continue tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #103
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
^Keep yer stick on the ice, Bart!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #104
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

It was Christmas!

Took it to the garage and played with some of it.

A bunch of farkles for the bike, and new brakes for the wife's car. I'll be busy this weekend!

Jim
Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #105
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I spent a few hours tinkering with my pressurized tank sandblaster to get it working like a charm as well as setting up a mock blasting room out of tarps and gun tape. Just call me Red Green! Now I can blast the polaris colt for welding repair, blast the RZ 500 frame and XT 550 frame for total restoration. A great evening that will continue tomorrow.

I continued tonight. Blaster works pretty good but need to come up with a dust exhaust system. Can't see a damn thing after a few minutes. I have an old squirrel cage fan I thought I would rig up with a couple of furnace filters, that should do the trick. Another night. Start working mids tomorrow so it won't be until the weekend.