Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #31
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 296
I built mine by myself and a little help from friends. Cheap was important for me so I went to Menards and got one of their kits. I was pleasantly shocked at how complete it was and easy to build.(I do have construction experience). I would say build it yourself. Everyone should feel the satisfaction of creating their own shelter.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
I got a 40x60 building built last year. It has 16 foot high walls. I decided to get a local place build it for me as at that time I didnt have the time to do it. After taking pictures of every step and talking to the builders quite a bit, I wish I would have built it myself. It didnt take these guys long at all.

I didnt get concrete in my building yet as I have to research slab floor options in the extreme cold we can have here, and the fact that I love the in floor heat.

I think the total cost for my building was 24000, and about 9000 of that was strictly labour.

I dont know if I would have done it differently either, but for me cost was a factor. When I had compared a pole shed to a stud frame, the stud frame was going to end up being almost twice as much when it was fully completed.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #33
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 765
My .02

36x48 main enclosed space with 12x48 shed roof along one side, 2300 sq. ft.
concrete inside, optional under shed roof
6x6 posts on 12' centers (but clearspan across interior space--your codes may vary)
(I like a short course of concrete block for foundation, but walls can be built on pad)
frame interior walls between posts
trusses

windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, . . . think about it a lot--it will be hard and expensive to do some things later, easy now.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,246
No experience, just thinking about one made of storage containers. Simple and quick.

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=72150

Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
My .02

36x48 main enclosed space with 12x48 shed roof along one side, 2300 sq. ft.
concrete inside, optional under shed roof
6x6 posts on 12' centers (but clearspan across interior space--your codes may vary)
(I like a short course of concrete block for foundation, but walls can be built on pad)
frame interior walls between posts
trusses

windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, . . . think about it a lot--it will be hard and expensive to do some things later, easy now.

Hey Chollo9!

WHY those dimensions? Enquiring minds NEED to know!

Thanks for the ideas!
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #36
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
No experience, just thinking about one made of storage containers. Simple and quick.

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=72150

WOW, I've never seen anything like these. I can't put a car lift in those containers BUT I like the idea.

You see folks on "American Pickers" using these to store stuff but I've never seen them used like this. This is WHY I asked the question here. DIVERSITY! They talk a lot about diversity at WORK but don't really mean it but I do. EVERYBODY has a whole DIFFERENT set of life / learning, etc. experiences that THEY alone bring to the table that helps them to think differently about EVERYTHING!

"I" don't want to reinvent the wheel SO that's why I'm asking for ANYONE and EVERYONE to help me out!

THANKS for the ideas !
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #37
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152

If you heat with wood, you've gotta love this!

Wood is under cover, backed up to a steel wall that can't be infested by carpenter ants (or worse) - it's brilliant!

One thing I wonder about these containers though - do they trap humidity and become rot and mold factories?
HapHazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #38
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapHazard View Post

One thing I wonder about these containers though - do they trap humidity and become rot and mold factories?
simple solar ventilation fans could solve that issue... i've considered the shipping container route in the past. that is a neat setup, for cheap...
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
simple solar ventilation fans could solve that issue... i've considered the shipping container route in the past. that is a neat setup, for cheap...
How much $$$ for a shipping container these days?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #40
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,996
40' 2.5k-3.5k depending on location. you could call your local container rental company and ask if they want to sell any....
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #41
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
As the containers are a "go to sea" for original use I hardly think humidity would damage whats inside? They are for sale/rent all over the USA as are old tractor hwy trailers. My local school uses 2 containers for dry storage. I really dont get them as a support for a bldg? I can see having either or both but not built together unless they were a freebie, which is unlikely. They will cost more than the materials to build the walls for a pole bldg..
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #42
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,047
Neighbor bought a container a couple years back. Don't remember the price but sure remember the clusterf....of the delivery. I don't think the truck driver was very good, he sure got stuck and it took a rather large old tractor to get him out.

Anyway the neighbor's container has a pretty nice wood deck and is vented, top & bottom. I am pretty sure that has to do with ships loosing them over the side. If sealed they will float for a very long time and I know that it is one of the biggest hazard to navigation and probably the highest rate of collisions with objects at sea....floating containers. Yep we had to go babysit a few of them many years ago until a tug showed up and dragged them ashore.

Too bad we are not in the salvage business, there was also a lot of nice lumber floating around, probably enough to build a very nice shed/barn.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #43
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Containers

Bought container several yrs ago for storage....
Range from $1,200 to $2,000 for typical length and height plus delivery and setup. I found containers difficult to work with...IMO.

Pole barns roofed in 20x30 foot can be had in my area for $5,000. No concrete slab, but includes lumber, hardware, metal roof and gable end, labor. These are normally done by framers looking for quick part time job....this is not a bad choice for someone trying to do it themselves...once the poles and roof are on pouring slab and most anyone can frame/box in some walls and enclose/finish out a living area or shop...but framing,leveling, and squaring up a framing structure takes a little experience. The hard part is framing roof part..especially single handed. Trusses are a no brainer for pole barns and most garages.

With pole Barnes, the difference between a 10 foot tall and 12' tall frame is just a few dollars (height of poles)... If in doubt best to go with 12, 14, or higher poles.

Many times an INexperienced individual can waste more material (rental equipment, trips to Home Depot, than the cost of subcontracting the pole barn out to a guy with the equipment and a couple of helpers and a 1 or 2 day project..that would take an individual 2 weeks to two months, and a lot of blisters & sore muscles.

From a former framer....

LewisNClark screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 01:23 PM
LewisNClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #44
greywolves OP
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post

Many times an INexperienced individual can waste more material (rental equipment, trips to Home Depot, than the cost of subcontracting the pole barn out to a guy with the equipment and a couple of helpers and a 1 or 2 day project..that would take an individual 2 weeks to two months, and a lot of blisters & sore muscles.

From a former framer....
Thanks for the input LewisNClark!

Yup,
This is exactly the "Way I Feel about it" It just not "Cost Effective" to build a ONE TIME deal UNLESS you just WANT to do it!
I used to tell folks this same thing when I worked in a body shop. "YES - you can paint a car/bike, etc, -. BUT - when you're done it will have cost you TWICE as much $$$ in twice the amount of time trying to LEARN how to do it and your paint job MIGHT be 1/2 as good as someone who KNOWS what he's doing in 1/2 the time.

I KNOW that this is "Most Likely" MY only time and I want the BEST JOB I can get!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #45
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 424
I have a pole barn that is about 22'Wx50'L long and skinny isn't great for use of space. I would have much preferred a 32'wx35'L or something along those lines. Mine came with the house so I won't complain too much.

If you get much snow any doors on the sides will be a pain in the ass, Doors on the ends are much nicer (again long and skinny sucks).

If you plan to heat it I would highly recommend in floor heat. It will be much more comfortable then any type of forced air heat. If not in floor heat the hanging radiant tube heaters are pretty nice.

Go with roll up doors. I have big hinged doors and they are not great, don't seal well ect. (the one on the side is terrible when the snow dumps off the roof in front of it). The big sliders are not much better.

The fiberglass panels they use to let light in don't last very long. Mine were about 12 years old and you could easily stick a finger through them. If you decide to use them at least put them on the walls and not the roof.

Consider some type of "bonus truss" with the extra large space in the middle for storage. They won't cost very much more then standard truss's.

Good luck.
Post pictures when it's done