Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #72556
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcountry04 View Post
yea i checked, I have the spring and the oring and the washer in proper order. the problem is the machined area where all the spring washer and oring sit is longer on the extended screw therefor it never has tension on it even with the screw fully seated , which cannot happen of course, I think I may have got the wrong screw, but the taper is proper, its just the stepped down area is longer. you'd think as proud as procycle is of there stuff, they'd put the right screw in.
Oh, it's definitely the right screw.
The idle mixture screw we put in the jet kit comes with its own longer spring and a new oring and washer. If you try to use the stock spring you probably won't have any tension on the screw.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #72557
dobbo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcountry04 View Post
Hey Ive been meaning to see if anyone has a problem with the extended fuel screw from pro cycle? I bought a jet kit with the extended screw included. I noticed right away that the shape was a little different. but installed anyway. After test and tune time, my first ride out with a friend of mine, I stopped after a few miles and the bike died. I started it back up and died again. fired it up and it would rev and stuff but would not idle...... my friend noticed that the extended screw had fallen out and luckily was laying perilously between the starter and the head. I rode back home and checked everything out and ended up puttin the oem screw back in as it fit more securely. the depth of the oring seating area was too deep on the aftermarket one and would not hold the screw in with tension because of this. anybody else have this issue???
I also had problems with the 'extended fuel screw'; I found I could not get it to fully seat, without using pliers to screw it fully in; therefore, I could not get the right amount of turns when I backed it out . I thought this a bit risky, as I might strip the thread from the housing, so I switched back to the OEM screw, which appears to wind in without as much resistance as the Ext fuel screw.
Because I could not get the 'Extended Fuel Screw' to seat properly, in meant that I could not be sure on the amount of turns out the screw was.... ie: what I thought was 2 turns out, in reality may have been 3 or 4.

Runs fine with the OEM screw, was always rough with the EFS.

I just put it down to a bad batch of EFS, so have stuck with the OEM screw. (Being in Australia, the cost of postage, negates the return of such a small item)

cheers
Dobbo
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #72558
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
I also had problems with the 'extended fuel screw'; I found I could not get it to fully seat, without using pliers to screw it fully in; therefore,
You have a different idle mixture screw. The one pictured a few posts back is the "Kouba" screw which was originally a Keintech product. It has about 2 or 3 additional screw threads which sometimes have difficulty screwing into the 'unused' internal threads in the carburetor. The screw included in the jet kit is a genuine Mikuni part which has a longer shaft which eliminates the occasional problem with the 'virgin threads'. But it does require the longer spring that comes with it.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #72559
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
petcock

I picked up a 2006 DR650SE bone stock with 4500 miles last week. It rode great and I'm pleased with it. Got it home and topped off tank and inadvertently put petcock selector swith on PRI so most of the gas ran out. I switched it over to RUN position and gas is still dripping. Any suggestions?? Only other position is RES.
gofast1320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #72560
Davis53
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I picked up a 2006 DR650SE bone stock with 4500 miles last week. It rode great and I'm pleased with it. Got it home and topped off tank and inadvertently put petcock selector swith on PRI so most of the gas ran out. I switched it over to RUN position and gas is still dripping. Any suggestions?? Only other position is RES.
Get a petcock called a Raptor from Procycle that you can shut the gas off. It is a Yamaha petcock that will fit the DR tank, that has a off position. The stock DR petcock can't be shutdown.
R90/6
TW200
KTM300EXC
KDX200
Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #72561
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The stock petcock can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed which will likely fix the leakage. Many riders prefer to replace the vacuum operated stock petcock with the Raptor style petcock.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #72562
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Where did the fuel exit from?

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #72563
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
An interesting aside on the extended fuel screw in my write up. It is out of a spare TM 33 pumper for my DR350. I looked at it pretty carefully before installing it because I had no idea if it would work or not. It visually matched the stock screws taper and length. Its been in there a couple thousand miles now and I havent had to adjust it after getting it set. I even used my OEM spring and o-ring as they were brand new.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #72564
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Davis53 and Procycle- Thanks, I thought I'd previously seen something about that but did not remember the particulars. I'll check it out. Two more tanks came with the bike- One (the OEM) only had one tank of fuel put through it before PO bought a yellow one and put it on it. I just noticed the OEM does have a petcock on it.

Motolab, Where is gas coming from? Have not had an opportunity to "Really" look at it and figure it out- its been bad cold and I haven't wanted to mess with it outside, which is where the leaking fuel is making the bike sit.

I've had numerous folks tell me that it may be running into the crankcase but according to the sight glass on the side of the crankcase there has been no rise in the level of oil/fluid in the crankcase.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #72565
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
This is all pretty normal for a BIG single in cold weather. The white vapor is 100% normal. The weird smell is the fuel treatment product. No worries.

This is what I would do:
1. Adjust Fuel/Air Pilot screw OUT (rich) about 1 turn
2. Turn up Idle (one full turn on idle adjuster) Lower idle once fully warm.
3. Try to store bike indoors if possible.
4. Use 0-40 synthetic oil if possible.
5. Shorai batts need to "warm up" ... so turn on headlight for two minutes before attempting to start bike. Seems counter intuitive but supposedly works.
6. You could take a 1500 Watt hair dryer and run it onto the Carb for 5 minutes before start up. (if that's practical). Carbs like HEAT!
7. If not already done ... cover your bike!
Hello,

Not a DR yarn but good. In New York City.
Few years ago read in Airhead magazine that a guy with a /2 was riding to work and back in freezing weather.
Bike would start good in am as was in his garage. Starting, later in the day to go home was a bitch, most times getting a push. One day he was passing by outside of the building and felt warm air. Well he worked on the stage for Julia Childs TV show and that was the vent to the outside. Next day when he got to work he parked in front of the vent and when he went to go home his bike was warm. Started right up. Kept parking there all during taping. A little twist to the story is one day he met some friends and the were all asking what smelled so good? Seems that all of the air and now his bike was loaded with Julias cooking! He said he had the worlds BEST smelling bike.

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #72566
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,727
Quote:
I've had numerous folks tell me that it may be running into the crankcase but according to the sight glass on the side of the crankcase there has been no rise in the level of oil/fluid in the crankcase.
Your oil level NOT rising is a good sign. Although there is room for anything to fail, it's much more llikely that I'll forget to turn the aftermarket petcock off than it is for the stock petcock to fail. if my stocker does fail, I'll buy another stock one.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 06:29 PM Reason: #2200
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #72567
Chill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I just have to put the new grips on (Renthal dual compound, half waffle), but I have a few n00b questions:
  1. Is there any special trick with applying the grip glue, or do you just smear it on and push the grips home?
  2. Is there any special trick with putting the Bark Busters back on the left grip, or do you just cut a hole in the end of the grip?
  3. Based on the pic below, does the 'waffle' on the right hand side point to the front of the bike, or the back, or somewhere else?

1. I don't use grip glue. I use oil. The grip is made of rubber and the oil means you can slide the grip on and then the rubber absorbs the oil and it's on there solid. Never had to lockwire a grip in my life.

2. Once the grips are on use a rubber mallet on the end of the bar and the bar will punch through the grip like a cookie cutter.

3. I would think the waffle bit lines up with your palm.
Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #72568
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,663
Be sure to check your air box and filter.

Sarah

Quote:
Davis53 and Procycle- Thanks, I thought I'd previously seen something about that but did not remember the particulars. I'll check it out. Two more tanks came with the bike- One (the OEM) only had one tank of fuel put through it before PO bought a yellow one and put it on it. I just noticed the OEM does have a petcock on it.

Motolab, Where is gas coming from? Have not had an opportunity to "Really" look at it and figure it out- its been bad cold and I haven't wanted to mess with it outside, which is where the leaking fuel is making the bike sit.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #72569
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I just have to put the new grips on (Renthal dual compound, half waffle), but I have a few n00b questions:
  1. Is there any special trick with applying the grip glue, or do you just smear it on and push the grips home?
  2. Is there any special trick with putting the Bark Busters back on the left grip, or do you just cut a hole in the end of the grip?
  3. Based on the pic below, does the 'waffle' on the right hand side point to the front of the bike, or the back, or somewhere else?

1. I don't use grip glue. I use oil. The grip is made of rubber and the oil means you can slide the grip on and then the rubber absorbs the oil and it's on there solid. Never had to lockwire a grip in my life.

2. Once the grips are on use a rubber mallet on the end of the bar and the bar will punch through the grip like a cookie cutter.

3. I would think the waffle bit lines up with your palm.
I only use wire. Much more convenient.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #72570
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

DR650 petcock

Went out and eyeballed the sight glass in the sunshine a few minutes ago. No visible bubble in sight glass. SOOOOooooo looks like some fuel may have made it in there. Took spark plugs out and turned motor over and gas shot out of spark plug holes. Off to get some oil as soon as I figure out what oil to get so I can change it and will take petcock off of extra tank that came with bike and see if it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Your oil level NOT rising is a good sign. Although there is room for anything to fail, it's much more llikely that I'll forget to turn the aftermarket petcock off than it is for the stock petcock to fail. if my stocker does fail, I'll buy another stock one.