Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #5371
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post

Sweet !
Very, very nice bike. But I don't see that license plate lasting very long.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #5372
Brewster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
Very, very nice bike. But I don't see that license plate lasting very long.

Thanks for the compliment. The bike gets ridden alot and gets equal TLC. The plate has been on for a couple years now and its never even loosened up (LocTite). The plate bracket is from Scotts Performance ..... my buddy has one on his WR450F and his has not been a problem either.

Cheers,
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #5373
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
Shim Stack Mod

I did the revalve of the XR4's forks yesterday, threw in some .43kg eibach springs and new seals while I was in there. Pretty easy mod, it took about an hour on the first leg and about 30min on the second. I was able to do it w/o any special tools. I did need to use a airwrench to remove the compression stack out of the bottom since I didn't have the special tool to hold the dampening rod, I also made a seal driver out of 1.25" PVC coupler. Cost: about $135 including oil, sure beats the $300~400 that a suspension tuner would charge.

I haven't ridden it yet but they feel good, thanks trailryder42!

Here's the procedure if anyone is interested.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #5374
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman237 View Post
This guy is currently running in 106th place halfway through day 2. Go Nicolas Boyer
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #5375
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Thanks for the compliment. The bike gets ridden alot and gets equal TLC. The plate has been on for a couple years now and its never even loosened up (LocTite). The plate bracket is from Scotts Performance ..... my buddy has one on his WR450F and his has not been a problem either.

Cheers,
The Scotts that has the dampers? Thank you.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #5376
Brewster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
The Scotts that has the dampers? Thank you.
That is correct, if the web-site says they don't have it, I'd call them anyway. I went to buy one for my Son's bike and it was in stock although the web-site said they were out.

Cheers,
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #5377
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by franga View Post
Hey guys,

lovin this forum. ive got a 140/80/18 rear tire and it needs changing. will a 130 90 18 fit?
cheers
Should fit fine, I'm running a 130/90-18 D606 on mine.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #5378
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson9068 View Post
This guy is currently running in 106th place halfway through day 2. Go Nicolas Boyer
Go Boyer!

From google translate and the Dakar site:

"bike only costs 3500 euros! '
This time comeback for Nicolas Boyer. He loves the bike in all its forms, and practice since the age of seven years on the tracks cross or enduro, the most prestigious circuits as the Bol d'Or, and of course on the dunes of Dakar, he won in 2001, finishing 35th on the same shores of Lac Rose. Since the Ardèche also tasted the boat races, but returned after a 12 year absence on the gold standard, the Dakar. To spice up the game, Nicolas is not only committed without assistance, but especially straddles an old Honda XR 400 from 1999, a model that will only drive the rally. With one of the smallest budgets of the plateau, the ghost also wants to show that the Dakar can be considered modestly.

"The same year, I had the Dakar and the Bol d'Or, which is not bad for a biker. Since then I've done other things, but every time I meet someone, he asks me when I'm leaving on the Dakar. And this year, I got the call from South America. I have an old bike, but it is a simple and reliable mechanics. There is a sentimental side to jump with a motorcycle in 1999, but it also worked many times. When others leave with a machine 35 000 euros, mine only costs 3500 euros! I have a total budget of 25,000 euros, I do not see how we can do less. I'm trunk-bikes because I think that is where are the true values ​​of Dakar. Moreover, if the objective is simply to reach the end, I'm also tempted by the victory in this category. "
Neduro to Dakar 2012
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #5379
Wilson9068
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson9068 View Post
Finished in 107th of 169 riders, under an hour behind Depres!
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #5380
Czechsix
Slower than you....

%@^@%^&%$& conn rod....

Dammit. I really didn't want to split the case.

Damn.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #5381
Fishnbait
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Throttle cable part #

Broke a throttle cable on my last outing. Can anybody give me the Honda part number for the pull cable. The fiche online are confusing to say the least. Not much love from the Motion Pro cables, would rather use genuine Honda.
Fishnbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #5382
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnbait View Post
Broke a throttle cable on my last outing. Can anybody give me the Honda part number for the pull cable. The fiche online are confusing to say the least. Not much love from the Motion Pro cables, would rather use genuine Honda.
The only way to tell them apart online is to look real close at the picture where the cable connects to the throttle and you'll see one has a square rubber boot and the other a round boot.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #5383
Fishnbait
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The only way to tell them apart online is to look real close at the picture where the cable connects to the throttle and you'll see one has a square rubber boot and the other a round boot.
Thanks, but the problem is they list two part numbers under the same tag number, and tag #1 and #2 have identical part numbers. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong place. Rocky Mountain and Ron Ayers. By the placement in the photo I believe I need tag #2, rear cable on throttle tube.

EDIT: Screw it. Just counted my change jar and ordered both.

Fishnbait screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 07:11 PM Reason: Cheapskate
Fishnbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #5384
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,033
Foke Sprangs

Are there any identifying marks on fork springs in regard to their rate?

I'm needing to go into the forks on my '98 and at least ID the springs (hoping for .46's), as well as change the oil and do the Shim Stack Mod, if not already done. There's most likely not a set of .46 kg/mm springs already in there, but I'd like to ID the current residents just to be sure.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #5385
lamebrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I did the revalve of the XR4's forks yesterday, threw in some .43kg eibach springs and new seals while I was in there. Pretty easy mod, it took about an hour on the first leg and about 30min on the second. I was able to do it w/o any special tools. I did need to use a airwrench to remove the compression stack out of the bottom since I didn't have the special tool to hold the dampening rod, I also made a seal driver out of 1.25" PVC coupler. Cost: about $135 including oil, sure beats the $300~400 that a suspension tuner would charge.

I haven't ridden it yet but they feel good, thanks trailryder42!

Here's the procedure if anyone is interested.
I'm interested in hearing about the difference this makes. I've been thinking of doing this to mine!

And a pic just because.
lamebrain is offline   Reply With Quote