Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #15256
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Regarding supply/demand of the S10 in the US, at the San Mateo (San Francisco area) bike show there were two S10 demo bikes. Test rides "sold out" for the day soon after the show opened, at least on Saturday. Everyone I talked to within a few places of me in the line, wanted to ride the S10. When I asked the Yamaha guy what else was available, he said "Cruisers". I realize that buying is different than taking a free test ride, but I think Yamaha doesn't quite get it.

-dman

I think Yamaha gets it.. I don't think some of the dealers get it..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #15257
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,129
Got Gear in Jackson, MS (2.5 hours away, but I'm there often for family) "get's it." They have had a demo bike since the initial pre-order run sold out. I rode up one Saturday morning on my 1050 Tiger just to kill some time, and the sales manager Raymond said "You must be here to look at the Yamaha Tenere!"

A new bike was not even on my radar at the time, but he talked me into a test ride. When I got back I said "This will be my next bike, but not today."

They have sold at least 6 that I know of, which is saying a lot for mid-Mississippi. They have their demo bike right up front as you walk in the door, next to the KTM990's, so I guess they're pushing the bike, and ADV bikes in general, more than most.

By comparison, the owner of the closest Yamaha dealer to me, Village Cycle in Starkville, MS, had never heard of a Tenere until I rode up one day.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #15258
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 715
Went for a great ride today on the Ténéré, 71 and sunny out-clear blue sky's.. Went down PCH then turned left and skirted the Mexican boarder for 20-30 miles east.. Just got home, took a shower and now heading to the opening round of SuperCross in Anaheim!!
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #15259
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 778
Sales are a regional thing. Around here, cruisers and sportbikes with long swingarms are king. Still hard to believe that the local dealer with 2 locations in the middle of 1.5 million people hasn't ordered or sold any.
Luckily, I'll be in Charlotte in a couple of weeks with my checkbook.

Guess I'm unique!
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #15260
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

It may be worth noting that the closest BMW dealer to Jackson, MS is over 2 hours away. Makes you wonder if the local Yamaha dealer saw a void that needed filling, while those in markets that have an established purveyor of ADV bikes might not see the reason to try an push another big, heavy ADV bike when the market is already saturated...

Ah well, who really cares anyway.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #15261
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,731
A friend mentioned the local dealer had a grey, and white ST so I went to take a look. They must be selling them quickly because not one salesman came up and asked me if I needed help. Or the KLR I rode up on clued them in that i'm a cheapskate.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #15262
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

I found a flaw in our beloved bike...

Long story short, on New Year's Day we had a group ride. I was following a Tenere and saw his brake light come on for an extended period of time and then noticed a nice smell of cooking brake pads. I flagged him down and we checked it out. After some thorough investigatin' we found a rock that was intermittently getting wedged in between the rear brake pedal and the guard for the rear brake lever. The rock was sitting in the hole in the frame for the swing arm pivot. He never noticed it so it must have just been dragging the brake, but his pads were cooked and it was starting to eat the rotor a little.

Rock was here:

I got home and got to thinking...

Then I went to Lowes. Got a 1 1/2" x 1 7/8" x 1" rubber stopper. Found on the nuts an bolts aisle.

Had to shave a little off the length.

No more rock catcher. Fits snugly but not so tight that it wouldn't come out with a knife.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #15263
Super Tenere
Voyager

Oddometer: 326
Great write-up and pictures Michael (Anticyclone), great way to make a small simple fix that could otherwise result into some nasty and costly problems down the road, I will do same fix on my bike, because you never know about these things until it has happened to someone.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #15264
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Super Tenere
I cannot believe no one already took your user name before Dec 2012!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #15265
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Regarding supply/demand of the S10 in the US, at the San Mateo (San Francisco area) bike show there were two S10 demo bikes. Test rides "sold out" for the day soon after the show opened, at least on Saturday. Everyone I talked to within a few places of me in the line, wanted to ride the S10. When I asked the Yamaha guy what else was available, he said "Cruisers". I realize that buying is different than taking a free test ride, but I think Yamaha doesn't quite get it.

-dman

So....what did you think of the S10 after your test ride? I realize the San Mateo show isn't the best place to try one (ride through clogged urban streets for a few blocks....wheeeee), but it's better than no ride at all.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #15266
~TABASCO~
www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer: 372
Anticyclone,

Nice write up... Ill need to take a look as well, do the same mod.....
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #15267
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,837
Alright...

WTF is goin'-on, here?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #15268
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
WTF is goin'-on, here?...]
Assembly lube. It seeps out the first few times the final drive gets hot. Clean it up with something (simple green, etc) and it shouldn't re-appear. Mine had the same thing.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #15269
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Assembly lube. It seeps out the first few times the final drive gets hot. Clean it up with something (simple green, etc) and it shouldn't re-appear. Mine had the same thing.

Whew! Thanks AC! I was startin' to have Euro-bike flashbacks.

My bike has about 2500 miles on it, and has been washed about three times. So, I figured there was no way it was something that should be gone already (assembly stuff/preservative).

In fact, I was already diggin' thru the brand-new service manual, that my Brother gave me for Christmas. And, I have the mechanical aptitude of a potato. So, that's when shit starts gettin' real interesting, in my garage.

Thanks again...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #15270
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
You'll see it again if the splines get overly lubricated at mx or tire changes too.