Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Dano650 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
KLR 650 new counter sprocket installed, and a question

Hey new here, newish to the DS world

I have a 2006 KLR 650 with ~19k miles. I installed a new chain and sprocket set this weekend because the old ones were beat, probably stock. Before I put the new ones on, I could hear the front sprocket when riding and figured it was just because it was old. With the new one, I hear the same. Is it normal? I attempted to post a video on youtube with the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssh0uy0jL04

Just me spinning the rear wheal with my hand. Obviously under power, it gets faster as the motor gets faster

Thanks!

Dan
Dano650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Dan in Grand Rapids
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
How much play is there in the chain? I had a similar noise and it was from the chain being too tight.
Dan in Grand Rapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Dano650 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Grand Rapids View Post
How much play is there in the chain? I had a similar noise and it was from the chain being too tight.
Its adjusted according to Kawasaki specs, theres play but its supposed to be that way without a rider
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
rowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Can't help you with the noise, but your joining link clip is on the wrong way. The round end faces the direction of travel. Think of a fish swimming up stream.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Dano650 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
Can't help you with the noise, but your joining link clip is on the wrong way. The round end faces the direction of travel. Think of a fish swimming up stream.
I told myself that today after messing around with the noise issue. Its fixed since this video was taken

Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Billy Beer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
normal??

Dano

Mine has made the same noise since new. Through two chains and sprocket changes the clicking noise has persisted. Nothing to worry about i think. Just be sure the wheel is aligned so the chain is running straight.

B
Billy Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Dano650 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Beer View Post
Dano

Mine has made the same noise since new. Through two chains and sprocket changes the clicking noise has persisted. Nothing to worry about i think. Just be sure the wheel is aligned so the chain is running straight.

B
Good to hear. Pretty sure I got the wheel aligned pretty good this time. At least I hope ;)

Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano650 View Post
Good to hear. Pretty sure I got the wheel aligned pretty good this time. At least I hope ;)

Thanks
Agreed, noise sounds normal to me. Regarding chain adjustment, a little too loose is WAY better than a little too tight! I've done the "remove the shock and move the swingarm until the countershaft aligns with the rear axle, set chain tension" thing. Turns out that with the bike on the sidestand, adjusting it so the chain just BARELY can touch the black rubber swingarm chain protector as you push up from the bottom is about right. Any tighter than that and you risk stressing the countershaft bearing and/or seal. Again, too LOOSE is not gonna hurt anything, but too tight sure will!