Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
HBrew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murgatroid View Post
At the risk of bring this thread back on topic, I plan to test ride the HD200 today. The more I think about my bike roadmap, the more I think it makes sense to get a lighter scooter. I can get a more tour oriented bike or scooter in the future. I do like the idea of being able to carry a scooter with me on a hitch carrier on the front of my truck camper. 300lbs is about the max I'd feel comfortable doing that.

So far my attempts to check out the BV350 have been thwarted! I stopped by the dealer in Walnut Creek on my way to the bay area yesterday, but they were still closed for the holidays. This dealer has hours that pretty much guarantee that I can't just stop by on my weekly trip up and back home. The closest dealer with stock is in SF and I'll be near there today looking at the HD200, but their BV350 is in storage and the guy who knows where that is and how to retrieve the bike is not in until tomorrow.

It may be just as well. I'd rather spend less money anyway.

I apologize for my part in the side track.

Can't wait to hear what you think of the HD 200. I have a 2008 with 15000 + trouble free miles.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
I had thoughts of riding it between the mountains and the bay, but it wasn't a high priority since I have a motorcycle that can do that. I will mainly be using it around town while I'm down here during the week. I'd also like to be able to carry it on my truck camper.

As much as I love the BV350, for now I'm going with the 2012 HD200. It was bought new in July at SF Moto and has 300 miles on it. It looks brand new. It has a Givi top case on it. I am getting it for $2600. I was VERY impressed with it's acceleration. It fits me perfectly and I can flat foot it (5'9", 30" inseam). I can totally see getting a used BV350 in a couple of years, though.

I'm very excited! I'll pick it up tomorrow.
Congrats! Sounds like a heckuva deal on a well built scoot.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
I had thoughts of riding it between the mountains and the bay, but it wasn't a high priority since I have a motorcycle that can do that. I will mainly be using it around town while I'm down here during the week. I'd also like to be able to carry it on my truck camper.

As much as I love the BV350, for now I'm going with the 2012 HD200. It was bought new in July at SF Moto and has 300 miles on it. It looks brand new. It has a Givi top case on it. I am getting it for $2600. I was VERY impressed with it's acceleration. It fits me perfectly and I can flat foot it (5'9", 30" inseam). I can totally see getting a used BV350 in a couple of years, though.

I'm very excited! I'll pick it up tomorrow.
That is awesome- please show us pictures and give us some ride reports. The EVO is a nice scooter, especially since you'll be getting the rear disk brake on the 2012. Sounds like a great deal for so few miles and getting the top case as well!

FYI- The Vespa/Sym dealer by me has the windshields that fit the EVO, and they look nice on them if you find you need more wind protection- here's a couple pictures: http://www.mariettasportscar.com/veh...hd200+evo.html
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #34
Murgatroid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
FYI- The Vespa/Sym dealer by me has the windshields that fit the EVO, and they look nice on them if you find you need more wind protection- here's a couple pictures: http://www.mariettasportscar.com/veh...hd200+evo.html
Is that the Puig windshield? Looks good. I may have to opt for something like that. On the other hand, I've grown used to bikes without windshields.

I just found out that the warrantee on SYMs is not transferrable. Should I be concerned?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #35
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
The last time I had a motorcycle as reliable and trouble free as my SYM over the past three years was the CB 350 Honda I bought in 1970. My local SYM/Vespa dealer has just gone out of business; not because of money, but a lack of bikes.

I'm not worried.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #36
HBrew
Adventurer

Any updates?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
Murgatroid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post
Any updates?
I've been meaning to post an update. I picked the HD200 up on Friday and have been have a great time riding it around this weekend between storms. It has impressive power, and great handling. It's feels like the best traits of a scooter and a motorcycle. Most of my riding has been 2-up and it still accelerates briskly. I haven't had a chance to take it above 60, but it sure gets there quickly. It does vibrate a bit at idle, but is very smooth upon take-off. It starts immediately as if it were fuel injected. It's a very impressive scooter.

I wish I had a more picturesque setting for these pictures.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #38
HBrew
Adventurer

Nice looking scoot, I like the yellow!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #39
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
nice!
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #40
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Sweet ride!

Quote:
I've been meaning to post an update. I picked the HD200 up on Friday and have been have a great time riding it around this weekend between storms. It has impressive power, and great handling. It's feels like the best traits of a scooter and a motorcycle. Most of my riding has been 2-up and it still accelerates briskly. I haven't had a chance to take it above 60, but it sure gets there quickly. It does vibrate a bit at idle, but is very smooth upon take-off. It starts immediately as if it were fuel injected. It's a very impressive scooter.

I wish I had a more picturesque setting for these pictures.

Very nice, the yellow and black really looks nice and is hi-viz. Damn fine score.

Re: vibrating a little at idle, scooters tend to have a different harmonic at idle with the rear brake clamped, than without a brake or just the front brake clamped since the entire driveline/engine are unitized. i dont know if thats what youre experiencing, but try idling with the front, then just the rear binder clamped and there is typically a marked difference.

Enjoy!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 549
Pictures look great- top box is nice. Keep us updated on how things go with it. I'm partial to the flat black, but they all look awesome. would like to see the new white one when the dealers get them too (Alliance had a picture on their facebook page)!

How is the acceleration compared to your Vespa Rally?
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #42
Murgatroid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
How is the acceleration compared to your Vespa Rally?
Acceleration feels quite a bit faster than my Rally. No shifting also helps. I don't have the two scooters in the same place, so I can't do a back to back comparison at the moment.