Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #4216
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
A lot of car's speedos are this way too. I think its done to keep you "safer". Not sure that works when you are texting and driving though
This has been covered elsewhere on the forum and internet but......

By law (Federal) a speedometer must not read (indicate) under the speed the vehicle is actually traveling. Some manufacturers may specify a bit tighter, some a bit looser, but all will add that fudge factor to assure the speedo doesn't read under the actual speed attained. As tire diameters vary modestly according to profile, temperature/conditions, manufacturer and design, and since motorcyclists have a tendency to experiment with them we can assume Ducati built in a broad fudge factor to account for various conditions. It's not so much to protect the rider as it is to protect the manufacturer from litigation in not meeting the standards, but it does have the "benefit" of keeping you out of the ticket zone if you adhere strictly to the indications of the instruments.

Ducati has done us a service by indicating their fudge factor right in the manual, and that should be noted here as not all manufacturers are so forthright in this respect. It allows you to mentally do the math if you feel the need, and I think under the circumstances, that's fair enough. I don't have a GPS to check for sure, but my sense is that the speedo is fairly consistent in it's operation. Those of you with a good GPS could confirm or deny that.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #4217
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,464
My solution to the built-in speedo error is this.

Works great. Very accurate. The sensor is epoxied to some AL that I had laying around. The AL strip is mounted to the right fender mounting bosses on the forks. The magnet is fixed to the disk brake carrier.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #4218
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
I need more ride reports..... NOW
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #4219
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Awhile back I asked for recommendations for aftermarket folding clutch and brake levers (handlebar), that weren't more than a couple hundred dollars each.

Well on black friday I ordered a set of "braking" levers, it I remember correctly they were about $90 from Sportbike track gear. I installed them on New Years eve. They were an easy install and are excellent fit. No problems what so ever. They fold and are adjustable in length and lever distance. Most importantly, they shouldn't break during a tip over leaving me stranded. I'd recommend them although I hope to never put them to the test.. They fit the 2010- 2012s.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #4220
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Awhile back I asked for recommendations for aftermarket folding clutch and brake levers (handlebar), that weren't more than a couple hundred dollars each.

Well on black friday I ordered a set of "braking" levers, it I remember correctly they were about $90 from Sportbike track gear. I installed them on New Years eve. They were an easy install and are excellent fit. No problems what so ever. They fold and are adjustable in length and lever distance. Most importantly, they shouldn't break during a tip over leaving me stranded. I'd recommend them although I hope to never put them to the test.. They fit the 2010- 2012s.
Thanks for the info. I'm on the lookout for some like that myself

bingbong screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 10:10 AM Reason: add picture
bingbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #4221
kma_jg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm on the lookout for some like that myself

This one looks good. Have a link?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
kma_jg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #4222
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
[QUOTE]This one looks good. Have a link?

Thanks

[/QUOTE

I found the image here
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ake-Lever.aspx
Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #4223
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
The Next 200 Miles Report

New Years Day was cold and misty but our club always meets at Luchenbach ( of Willie Nelson fame) for a NYD photo. First, this bike has the best heated grips I've ever experienced. Three levels. The highest will have you turning it down after about five minutes.

I was with a group of spirited riders and soon the leader and I were well ahead of the rest. First thing I noticed was I was entering the turns much slower than I needed. The superior suspension would have allowed much greater speed. But the exit speed is breath taking. Please note I'm an off road and/or touring rider not a sport bike rider. What i consider fast entry and exit speeds you sport guys would laugh at. Still it was quick enough to be with the leaders.

Because of the damp conditions I was in touring mode. When we hit a section I was familiar with I switched to Sport mode. I'm renaming this "giggle mode". I later tried to switch back to Touring Mode but my hands would not obey.

I'm beginning to understand Sky Hook. It kicks in at speed.

Brakes. They are not BMW brakes but I think they are fine. Better than 2012. After 600 miles it is just a non-issue. I only use rear alone when stopping, especially at gas pumps. At other times coordinated use of rear and front seems normal.

Gearing. While it no longer surges at low RPMs I think I'll be switching to a 14 tooth front. Slow speed stop and go is awkward and I'd like to be in 6th at 70 mph.

But most important, I HAVE NO BUYERS REMORSE.
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #4224
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post
New Years Day was cold and misty but our club always meets at Luchenbach ( of Willie Nelson fame) for a NYD photo. First, this bike has the best heated grips I've ever experienced. Three levels. The highest will have you turning it down after about five minutes.

I was with a group of spirited riders and soon the leader and I were well ahead of the rest. First thing I noticed was I was entering the turns much slower than I needed. The superior suspension would have allowed much greater speed. But the exit speed is breath taking. Please note I'm an off road and/or touring rider not a sport bike rider. What i consider fast entry and exit speeds you sport guys would laugh at. Still it was quick enough to be with the leaders.

Because of the damp conditions I was in touring mode. When we hit a section I was familiar with I switched to Sport mode. I'm renaming this "giggle mode". I later tried to switch back to Touring Mode but my hands would not obey.

Brakes. They are not BMW brakes but I think they are fine. Better than 2012. After 600 miles it is just a non-issue. I only use rear alone when stopping, especially at gas pumps. At other times coordinated use of rear and front seems normal.

Gearing. While it no longer surges at low RPMs I think I'll be switching to a 14 tooth front. Slow speed stop and go is awkward and I'd like to be in 6th at 70 mph.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #4225
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post

Thank you for the write-ups. I am enjoying your reports. Sounds like you are enjoying the bike.

Very interested in your assessments of Skyhook as you get more experience with it.

Appears your back brake is working just fine, so far. From reports, for many owners of the 2010-12 bikes the rear brake alone would not do much stopping, even near new. Same for the '12 demo I tried. And I ride a five-year-old Duc, so am familiar with their rear-brake philosophy. Hope it hangs in there for you.

Does anybody know whether the rear brake applies pressure to the front via the ABS, if the rear gets close to locking? (I understand the front distributes pressure to the rear in some circumstances and modes, with that new-fangled multi-mode ABS they have fitted to these 2013s.)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #4226
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,119
The S10 applies rear brake when using the front, but not the other way around. Also you can apply more rear brake than what the front applies using ABS/UBS.

I suspect the Multi12 does similar. Would think it might be dangerous for the rear to apply front, as in most cases (parking lot, gas station) you are turning when hitting the rear brake.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #4227
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
The S10 applies rear brake when using the front, but not the other way around. Also you can apply more rear brake than what the front applies using ABS/UBS.

I suspect the Multi12 does similar. Would think it might be dangerous for the rear to apply front, as in most cases (parking lot, gas station) you are turning when hitting the rear brake.
It is not very clear. Here is Ducati's own explanation of the ABS system and its three levels (incidentally, the same Bosch 9ME ABS used in the 2013 Ducati is also in the 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure):

The new Multistrada 1200 family is equipped with the latest Bosch 9ME ABS, an integral part of the Ducati Safety Pack. This unrivalled combination of safety and braking power provides shorter stopping distances and greater stability under braking. Three different settings integrated in the Riding Modes are available.
Thanks to the same processor used to control the ABS on the Superbike 1199 Panigale, the new Multistrada 1200 now offers combined front and rear braking optimised for the Urban and Touring Riding Modes, which instantly adjusts to the riding conditions typically associated with the Sport and Enduro Riding Modes when a softer setup is preferable. The combined braking system uses four pressure sensors (located in the master cylinders and in the braking circuits of front and rear callipers) to analyse braking performance whenever the front brake is operated and applies controlled braking pressure at the rear end to increase stability. In certain Riding Modes, the 9ME ABS also performs an anti-lift up function to guarantee optimal ground contact of the rear wheel.
The system integrates perfectly with the Riding Modes and has three operation levels. Level 2, for the Sport Riding Mode, ensures balanced front and rear braking, with less braking force at the rear and without rear wheel lift detection. Level 3 offers ideal combined braking in the Touring and Urban Modes, with rear wheel lift detection for the utmost safety. Level 1 provides the utmost off-road performance, and rear wheel lift detection is disabled to allow for controlled rear-wheel lock-up.
Riders who wish to try out unassisted braking performance can disable the ABS from the instrument panel menu. The ABS will remain disabled at the next key-on and this setting can be stored for each Riding Mode.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #4228
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,104
Those look really nice!

After seeing the pics those look really nice! Gotta order a set for moi as well. Thanks for the info.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post

1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #4229
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Anyone else take delivery on a '13 yet? Would like to hear more about the Sachs Skyhook suspension.

Thanks,
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #4230
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Anyone else take delivery on a '13 yet? Would like to hear more about the Sachs Skyhook suspension.

Thanks,
No, mine's overdue dagnabit.