Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #1651
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Firstgear Rainier Jacket. I wouldn't call it perfect, but I would say it is an excellent jacket. The fact that I got it under $150 (closeout) puts it over the top.

Grip heaters. Honestly, I don't think the brand matters or whether you go heated grips, under grip elements, or heated gloves. But having something to warm your hands does wonders to improve the riding experience and extend the season.

Firstgear Fargo Gloves. This model has been revised so I don't know if it is still as good, but they were cheap (under $60 I think), have been totally waterproof, and are a very good balance of comfort, warmth, and tactile feedback.

Honorable mentions would be my Sidi Adventure boots and Olympia Bushwacker jacket.
That's a bloody great list! Thank you, sir.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #1652
raypitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
My best gear:
EZ pass holder. I am super Fan of i-pass holder. I love the quality and design of i-pass holders. The best quality is that they Will not break melt or loose suction. All these qualities make the i-pass holder best choice of everyone.
raypitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #1653
davidb21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
my best gear (none of my gear is too fancy or expensive) would have to be:

troy lee helmet which has saved me the inconvenience of several bumps or concussions off-road and is brightly colored so people on-road are more likely to see me.

and my speed & strength jacket, not an expensive jacket but it has all the needed protection (elbow, shoulder and back) and even though its a street jacket, i just remove the inner liner and it doesn't get too hot off-road, takes a lot out of an impact when falling too...ive been down hard off-road while wearing it twice and it definitely saved my elbows and shoulders both times.

all i need now is some nice knee protection, for some reason my knees always take the worst part of the crash
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #1654
DiamondLie
Banned

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb21 View Post
all i need now is some nice knee protection, for some reason my knees always take the worst part of the crash
SLIDERS riding jeans (or cargo pants) w/ the optional (10 bucks!) CE approved knee pads. WOOT!

http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kev...ding-Jeans-4-0
DiamondLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #1655
Trxl2
BLL Club

Oddometer: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
read the thread topic and stay on target...

I'm gonna chip in, again, with another "best buy"....

...that being a bloody good sleeping bag. I bought a dreamcatcher 500 over 8 years ago and it's still going strong. It packs small, is durable (survived many nights and a dunk in the sea) and is flexible enough to be used in all temperatures down to about 0 degrees centigrade.

I don't know, I think a credit card ant wet wipes are a great purchased piece of gear, maybe the best. CC is cheap insurance, and wet wipes = showers on the road. I would also through in clorox disinfecting wipes.... THE single most useful non-motorcycle related item I used, aside from your mentioning of a good sleeping bag, that I used on my recent trip from Maine to Cali and back this fall... one of those, AH HA! moments when you realize how precious your water is and how little space they take in a zip lock in your pack.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #1656
ridered@q.com
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Riding Gear

My two cents worth. First Gear. I have one of the original Kilimanjaro jackets and Honda HT pants (built by First Gear). They are as good as you can get. The zipper messed up in my jacket, I called First Gear and they replaced it FREE. This jacket is about 7 years old. They even paid the shipping. Also anything Honda markets is built by someone else to their specs. I recently lost my father and while cleaning out his garage I found my HondaLine gloves I bought in approximately 1976. Recently I wore them back to back with my Alpinestars and they keep my hands just as warm.
ridered@q.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #1657
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,440
Klim pants and jacket.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #1658
DiamondLie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Klim pants and jacket.

Really? I tried them but ended up selling two different sets (ADV Rally and Badlands Pro.) For the $$ I am happier with more of the cheaper mainstream stuff. It does 90% of what the KLIM stuff does at 50% of the cost.

DiamondLie screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:51 AM
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #1659
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLie View Post
Really? I tried them but ending up selling two different sets (ADV Rally and Badlands Pro.) For the $$ I am happier with more of the cheaper mainstream stuff.
I love my Klim gear. Riding year 'round in the PNW, having good fitting gear that is TRULY waterproof is a must.
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #1660
DiamondLie
Banned

To each their own of course. I find it overpriced for what you really get though. That it is made overseas didn't help my "feel-good" quotient either at that price point. Plenty of reports on here about guys who have it who still get wet in the rain. YMMV.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #1661
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
To each their own of course. I find it overpriced for what you really get though. That it is made overseas didn't help my "feel-good" quotient either at that price point. Plenty of reports on here about guys who have it who still get wet in the rain. YMMV.
Understandable. Sometimes "you get what you pay for applies", and I feel like I have. Seeing as it's been raining nearly everyday for the past 3 months of riding here, I've put them through the paces, and have always come out the other end 100% dry. But the price hit is something not everyone can get over.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #1662
Reislust
Still alive

Oddometer: 104
I'd really have to say my Scala Rider Q2 pro, after using a myriad of other PTT solutions this is by far the clearest audio and I have to have my tunes!!
Reislust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #1663
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,440
Quote:
Really? I tried them but ended up selling two different sets (ADV Rally and Badlands Pro.) For the $$ I am happier with more of the cheaper mainstream stuff. It does 90% of what the KLIM stuff does at 50% of the cost.
Yup really, now keep in mind I ride every day all year long (the things I do for work) I know it's expensive gear but it's also warm and dry every time I put it on... even after a ride in the rain/ snow.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 08:44 PM
anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #1664
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,583
Quote:
That stuff's (Klim) made in China.

Q. How can they justify charging premium first world prices for stuff made in China.

A. Because there's a sucker born every minute.

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #1665
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
That stuff's (Klim) made in China.

Q. How can they justify charging premium first world prices for stuff made in China.

A. Because there's a sucker born every minute.

Sorry, but "first world" doesn't really apply to American anymore. We barely manufacture anything these days. I looked around at christmas, and 95% of everything we had opened was NOT made in America.

Good stuff can, and does come out of china. It's not like they have a decree that says every item exported from China is garbage. It's just easier for companies to cut corners to turn profits, so sometimes things turn out junkier than our expectations. So far I think my Klim gear is top notch, regardless of the country of origin.

Iphones are made in China. I couldn't find many people that would say they are poorly made.