Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #61
Kamzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I got my 02 Zuma for $300 about a year and a half ago. Between gas, some maintenance, and insurance, it's still way cheaper as an around the city commuter than public transportation. I ride it to work almost every day, no matter what the weather or temperature, and it ALWAYS beats taking the car in. On off days, I take it around to explore the city, and it lets me go to areas I wouldn't take the car because of lack of parking or crappy roads. Riding it at its limits is a hoot, and people stop me to ask about it all the time.

In terms of versatility, you can't beat it. I put groceries under the seat and on the floor board, take packages to the post office, and run all sorts of errand with it. 95% of the time, if I'm going local (within 20 miles of home), the scooter is what I'm taking.

Now, I couldn't imagine life without a scooter.

Kamzilla screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 08:18 AM
Kamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #62
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzilla View Post
I got my 02 Zuma for $300 about a year and a half ago. Between gas, some maintenance, and insurance, it's still way cheaper as an around the city commuter than public transportation. I ride it to work almost every day, no matter what the weather or temperature, and it ALWAYS beats taking the car in. On off days, I take it around to explore the city, and it lets me go to areas I wouldn't take the car because of lack of parking or crappy roads. Riding it at its limits is a hoot, and people stop me to ask about it all the time.

In terms of versatility, you can't beat it. I put groceries under the seat and on the floor board, take packages to the post office, and run all sorts of errand with it. 95% of the time, if I'm going local (within 20 miles of home), the scooter is what I'm taking.

Now, I couldn't imagine life without a scooter.
Well said. +1.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #63
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 498
Very Comfortable

Scooters are very comfortable

And Fun!!
As Long as you ride responsibly and always wear a helmet.

Motovista screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 02:46 PM
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #64
braindigitalis
Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer: 78
Laugh

For me the best thing about a scooter is convenience. Gear up, hop on and go. Not limited to just staying local, you can go as far as you like and the sense of fun, the feedback the scooter gives as you ride is just exhilarating and fun. You can go places on a scoot that people would tell you is insane or impossible. On sand, snow and ice, on dirt back roads and on high speed 60mph roads. Scooters show bikers and cagers alike that you don't need 500+ cc engines to go far or have fun!
braindigitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #65
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8059/8...d0505c98_b.jpg

There is an element of adventure in every ride.
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #66
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
This is what I love about scootering

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...73686291_n.jpg
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #67
greg531
greg531

Oddometer: 25
I like scooters because they are different, you wave at people, they wave back....you ride through a neighborhood with twenty other scoots, and people smile, and don't feel threaten, and think how fun that must be.....
I like them, because they are light and easy and fun to ride, and nimble....and on the open road, with a sense of freedom, and can park almost anywhere......
Strangers ask at gas station, red lights, and when stopped, how much was it....is it for sale......do you need a motorcycle endorsement, how fast does it go, and what kind of gas mileage does it get? With my 63, they ask who made it, what year is it, and say how neat is it......
greg531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #68
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I really get "it";for the first time.

Took a ride today up into the mountains. I made a turn onto a newly paved stretch of blacktop and the rode was empty but for a random cars here and there; so I had 11 miles of 55mph mountain scenery to myself. This is a "backdoor" rode to a poplular destination so the road was quite open. Anyway, after about 3 miles of grinning and enjoyment, I rounded a bend and behold up ahead, a stretch of high speed "S" curves with no oncoming traffic. I suddenly realized my grin had become a genuine smile as a instinctively rolled on more throttle. I don't know what else to say, those of you who know what I mean, there really aren't words to express it.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #69
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Took a ride today up into the mountains. I made a turn onto a newly paved stretch of blacktop and the rode was empty but for a random cars here and there; so I had 11 miles of 55mph mountain scenery to myself. This is a "backdoor" rode to a poplular destination so the road was quite open. Anyway, after about 3 miles of grinning and enjoyment, I rounded a bend and behold up ahead, a stretch of high speed "S" curves with no oncoming traffic. I suddenly realized my grin had become a genuine smile as a instinctively rolled on more throttle. I don't know what else to say, those of you who know what I mean, there really aren't words to express it.
I know exactly what you mean.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #70
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 759
Interesting thread. I have made some observations on scootering on the "Old Dog" thread I started here when we first considered a couple scooters. I think there are quite a few here who came to this from a lengthy time on motorcycles... and are surprised at the enjoyment found on scooters.

For now, I don't feel the need for more horsepower, weight, or complexities. I enjoy the ease on the scooters. The light weight. And, I think some of the attraction is the fact that this is something I would not have even considered a few years ago. It takes some of us a while to catch on.

Captain Jim
Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #71
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
You're not alone, CaptJim...it takes awhile to make the adjustment...at least it did for me...but very happy about it now.

I sometimes catch a bit of hooey from some of the Patriot Guard Rider guys when I show up on my machine, but I've figured out that at least for them, if you have to explain it, they'll never get it.

It doesn't really matter, anyway...we know what the bikes can do and how they move us...so best thing is to ride and be happy...
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #72
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Passing Ford 350 P/U's on the 3 lane.

Smoke break on my 60 mile ride home with my new to me 2nd scoot...Aprilia Mojito.

and back home after a little TLC...

Can anyone possibly smile this much on a full size bike???? I think not.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 04:59 PM
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #73
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
What do I love? Being on two wheels.

Being in the open air.

I'd ridden a cycle for a couple of years in my twenties; wiped out; in hospital a month and in and out of courtrooms for five years...some airhead twit ran me off the road. I tried to get back into it, and couldn't - gun-shy with every butt-head running recklessly around me.

Decades go by, and the price of gas launches into the stratosphere. I'm with no dependents and out of work...okay financially but not rich...and figure, it's all downhill from here. If I die in a crash tomorrow...I've had a good life.

I got a cycle.

I had to re-learn to ride the damn thing.

AND...I'm old enough to really want to belong to the Shiftless Society. I had just gotten the first car I ever had with an automatic...and here I am, counting gears and worrying about power bands in traffic on this bike.

Meantime...with employment, came cycle ambitions. Got a good deal on an R1200GS. GREAT bike...but my back ain't what it used to be. And, had a minor medical emergency on a long road trip...I was outside Joplin, Missouri, a week after the tornado. No room at the ER for me...it was press on or die.

I made it. It scared me.

I could barely get my leg over the tippy-tall GS.

I'd dabbled in a Burgman 400 before; dismissed it as girly. Even though I liked how it rode. Now, with my old-man's back...I thought again. And bought my Xingyue Burgman clone.

From that...my Burgman 650. And, yes, a backrest. Like going biking in an easy chair....

And from THAT...the offbeat. A BigRuckus clone. Which got me interested in finding a real Big Ruckus; which I did.

I'm hooked.

What do scooters do for me? Twist-and-go. No worry about power bands. No crunching down...sit upright. Enjoy the ride; no worries about missing gears.

That's the sometimes-biker in old age. Never got far enough along in The Life to inflate the ego; which meant stepping down to a step-through was easier.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #74
Domindart
Scoot'in on......

Oddometer: 15
I love everything about it! Not fast enough to get me killed... I think lol

Easy to drive and comfortable

Fast enough to keep up in traffic

Easy maintenance (so far)

Fun to scoot around town and explore!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #75
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post

Plus, on my Silverwing, VFR or TMAX, it was kind of fun to leave the Harleys at the stoplight. They make a lot of noise but don't cut it for acceleration.
Fastest scooter in the world: 11.90 second 1/4 mile. Fastest Harley Sportster in the world: 9.93 second 1/4 mile.
Plus, it is no mean feat to make a street-legal Sportster run in the mid-11 second range while still turning in 45-50 mpg on the street.

I do enjoy the Honda Cub series bikes. While not truly scooters, they still possess most of their advantages while getting over 100 mpg. Something that I suspect would be difficult to match with a belt drive. In fact, Honda rated them as high as 188 mpg at a steady 25 mph. So that is definitely one point in favor of the Cub series. I also like their maneuverability and the fact that I can lift one in and out of my truck without bothering with a ramp.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote