Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #931
LSGiant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Did not mean for anybody to get defensive. I traded in a perfectly functional 2006 C10 that I had Farkled out to my own preferences on a brand new C14 in 2011 absolutely no way to justify that.

I would love to get rid of that ugly pipe but I do not want louder and I am perfectly happy with the stock performance remember I came from a C10. I am just wondering if I can get to the same power to rate ratio by losing the weight as you guys got by spending the money.
LSGiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #932
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
LSG, I recently purchased on of the Delkevic 18" carbon fiber, oval slip-on from a vendor on ebay. No regrets. Yesterday, I was finally able to get out on a ride. First impression is that it is quiet and its presence is undetectable. What I did notice was a pleasing change in vibration levels and crisper throttle response that is useful in the throttle blip for down-shifting. Also, the bike doesn't pull to the right anymore. I bought it because of the attractive price - nothing to loose and would make a nice accessory if the day comes to sell my C14. Never was, nor ever, looking for performance increase as the bike has plenty in stock form. (my Z1K is the hot-rod).

Loosing 18ish muffler pounds can only help what you are after.

2012 Concours 1400 (my adventuring bike!)
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #933
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Pulling the flies is free. To take advantage of pulling the flies I had to add a custom map via Power commander. The cost of a power commander and about 20 minutes work (estimated $300) and the supplier at fuel-moto provided a map specific to my configuraiton. The price on my CS One was probably $400-ish. Noticeable increase in throttle response, grins and it sounds fantastic once you are into the throttle. I also removed the monster exhaust and dropped a few pounds in the process.

No complaints whatsoever. I like riding this thing as much as my 954rr. As for losing weight, its always a good idea as it will give you many more years of good health and riding.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #934
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGiant View Post
Does anybody have a before and after and then how many dollars they spent to get there?

Just wondering how many dollars per HP you guys are spending?

Or how many dollars for what looks like about a 10% improvement?

I am going to try to loose about 25 lbs and clean my saddle bags. :)
I didn't do a before, but have read the stock rwhp is 132, I spent about $800 to get 18 more horses. The torque is what I enjoy the most, not sure what stock torque is at the rear wheel, but 97 at the rear wheel is a lot of fun and worth every penny to me. Comes out to $44.44 per HP

Now you can get the ECU flashed without having to remove the flies or buy a PCv and I think the cost is around $400 for that, then add an aftermarket can for around $400, so you are back to the $800
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #935
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I originally figured $100/HP but Cognosticator throws down a convincing documented $44/HP...cheap grunt IMO.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #936
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
And as far as justifying motorbike expenses goes, it is easy for me: the missus buys shoes and I ignore it so she ignores my frivolous spending...symbiotic happiness as long as she is rocking her Christian Louboutins and swinging a Coach bag.

So, yes (I hate to admit), Sweetwater has to keep tabs on the caveman expenses so Missus Sweetwater doesn't go all nutty, I'm justified

LSG, you're justified too...how could you not upgrade to a C14? Totally justifiable: safer, more efficient, better weather protection, and by-golly easy to get a lot of HPs.

sweetwater screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 05:43 PM
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #937
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,206
C14 or FJR?

I've been beating my brains out over these two bikes. They're so close and I can't make up my mind. Ugh! What is a person to do?
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #938
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
I've been beating my brains out over these two bikes. They're so close and I can't make up my mind. Ugh! What is a person to do?
Buy both! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #939
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireIdiot View Post
Buy both! :)

Big help.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #940
FireIdiot
Lost in translation

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Big help.
I couldn't resist, sorry. What are you deciding between?

FireIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #941
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
It was a toss up for me when looking at the C14 or the FJR, in 2012.
Went the C14 route and been nothing but happy with it. For me I think it's a better looking bike, but they both run like a scaled dog all day and are comfortable enough for you to want to get back on the next day and do it again.
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #942
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,605
Quote:

Get a bigger stick, or a large piece of pipe.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #943
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
The C14's Tetra-lever for the drive shaft did it for me since 2008. Just took me four years and a Z1K to realize this is a better decision for me. I too had considered the FJR and I cannot knock it.

Neither would be a bad decision.

2012 Concours 1400 (my adventuring bike!)
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #944
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

I guess you can't go wrong with either one. One thing I like about the FJR is cruise control. Other than that, it's a toss of the dice.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #945
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
If you can't buy both, then buy either one, I don't believe you will be disappointed in either. The both have features that the other doesn't. One of the big selling points for me was the 3 year warranty on the Connie. As I see it, you can really go round and round with the decision and never pick one, or you can just pick the one that most appeals to your emotions, and enjoy riding the wheels off it. They are both such great bikes, you can't pick a loser between the two.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote