Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
HONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
With everyone constantly having a phone in their hand I see it as simple as this, can't phuck with my phone while on a motorcycle! People now are SERIOUSLY addicted to cell phones!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
It seems strange and sad to me that kids aren't interested in bikes the way they once were
Rose-colored glasses and chicken little syndrome, seriously.

The US is a weird market - for many, motorbikes are toys. During an economic downturn, people purchase fewer toys (especially brand new ones). Plenty of dealers are surviving, even making a profit.

We'll all be dead or disabled before there is a serious lack of two-wheeled transportation.

May as well complain about music, how short skirts have become, and kids playing on your lawn while you're at it. Times change, but most things remain the same. The inability for most people to see farther out than 5 years just makes short term wobbles feel like epochal trends.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,534
The dealers I see surviving here are the ones that don't mind working with used bikes, have a decent service department, have a decent selection of aftermarket stuff on the floor and, most importantly, don't feature surly old bastards or clueless kids working the parts and accessories counter.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
klebs01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Three things to consider when talking about the aging population of motorcyclist:

1) The mean age of the whole US population is increasing;

2) The poor economy has disproportionately affected young male, the main target for motorcycle purchases;

3) The poor economy and lending standards reviews have made credit much more difficult to find for young adults and those with marginal credit histories, which comprise a sizable portion of motorcycle purchasers.
klebs01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I'm not seeing a problem, other than the OP referring to motorcycling as a "sport".
You like "hobby" better?

In the U.S. it is seldom "transportation". Dirt riding is definitely a "sport". There are "sportbikes" just as there are "sportscars", I don't have a problem with it.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
...look at what is happening to the price of assault weapons
HEY! That's "Modern Sporting Rifle" to you, bub!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
The United States is hardly the only country where motorcycles are sold.

Further, motorcycles last a lot longer than they used to, so there are many more good-quality used bikes to be had. Obviously, this will eat into new bike sales.

I'm not seeing a problem, other than the OP referring to motorcycling as a "sport".
Hahah... agree. This article does not take into account the massive used bike market. I am 49 and see a ton of young punks riding.

And unless you are racing, motorcycle is not a sport, it's a hobby.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
So long as existing riders are "grandfathered" and the Draconian ban on motorcycles as a means of transport on the public road doesn't come in until after I'm dead, I'm happy.
I am worried I will see this ban in my lifetime. California is already busy passing laws paving the way for computer driven cars. Once those things hit and the Nanny State decides it's unsafe for anyone to operate a motor vehicle himself, we are fucked.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,802
So wht can a new rider afford?
Using $20 per $1000 financed for 60 months (rule of thumb for good credit)
$10k bike $200 a month.

A new what for $10k or less?
Triumph has a couple pretty cool bikes for under $10k

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUFF2C View Post
So wht can a new rider afford?
Using $20 per $1000 financed for 60 months (rule of thumb for good credit)
$10k bike $200 a month.

A new what for $10k or less?
Triumph has a couple pretty cool bikes for under $10k
This. Most "cool" bikes are well over $6 grand new, hell new 600 sport bikes are well over $10 grand. While most of us agree new riders should start small, the fact is most do not. Also, how many of us went out and purchased a new bike when young? I bet many riders were like me, we started of on several used bikes over the years and then bought new. Hell I didn't by my first new bike until I was 30 years old but started riding when I was 14 years old.

So a better measurement would be the median age of registered bike owners over time, not just new sales since a vast majority of those new bike sales often are followed by a used bike sale and I bet often to a younger rider than the median age of the new bike purchaser.

Frankly IMHO the price of bikes has gotten out of control when compared to cars. When compared I can get say a Triumph Trophy for $21k which gets 35 or so mpg if I'm lucky or a brand new car for $15k with heat and a/c which also carries 4 buddies and gets 40 or more mpg its hard to justify the bike.

What the hell happened to bikes getting high mpg??? Bikes are so freaking focused on power power power most are far less economical than cars.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,038
It's the damn insurance that's killing everything.Most kids want a nice bike which means full coverage . HA HA HA. Good luck with that if you haven't been a perfect angel , and what young guy hasn't got at least 1 ticket.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Young adults are soft, poor, spoiled and want to carry stuff (surfboards, skis, drum sets,...). Motorbikes don't fit their lifestyles.

My teenager expressed interest in riding. So, I offered that he could take the safety course and ride an underpowered trail bike (say, a TW200) to high school for a year, then I'd think about letting him ride a proper motorcycle. He wanted nothing to do with it. Too wet, too cold, not cool enough...

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
It's the damn insurance that's killing everything.Most kids want a nice bike which means full coverage . HA HA HA. Good luck with that if you haven't been a perfect angel , and what young guy hasn't got at least 1 ticket.
Well stupid riders did that to insurance costs. So long ass people keep pissing off drivers and thus cops doing stupid crap to bring the law down on bikes we will keep paying as we are deemed to be reckless.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,064
The industry is far from Doomed. Fucking HD may be, but that has been in process for a while and the sooner the better. Young people are not buying HDs, that is no indication of anything in the rest of the motorcycle industry.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
You like "hobby" better?

In the U.S. it is seldom "transportation". Dirt riding is definitely a "sport". There are "sportbikes" just as there are "sportscars", I don't have a problem with it.
It isn't really much of a hobby, either - I suppose home wrenching is, and I suppose planned group rides might be, but taking my bike to work sure as hell isn't. Dirt rides might be a hobby or pastime, but unless you're competing, I don't see how you can call it a sport.

I commute. I like "transportation". You could use "alternate transportation" I guess, but that presumes subordinate status.

If you're riding on the street it isn't a sport (unless you're roadracing illegally, in which case you're a fuckwad and I don't give a shit what you think) any more than driving a car is a sport.

And, to go completely over the line: Anyone who calls (street) motorcycling a sport must not take motorcycling very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
The industry is far from Doomed. Fucking HD may be, but that has been in process for a while and the sooner the better. Young people are not buying HDs, that is no indication of anything in the rest of the motorcycle industry.
HD isn't going anywhere - there are shit tons of people buying cruisers.