Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #2026
novaboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Last week, while away on a work trip with a fellow riding buddy we dropped into a Harley dealer in Glenns Falls, NY. My buddy Scott is Harley rider, loves his Street Glide, and has it customized really nice. I on the other hand have been a sport bike, dirt bike guy all my life. I appreciate Harleys for what they are, but never pictured myself on one. We spent about 30mins at this dealer, looked at a couple of Sporty's, the 48 is really nice, and then I grab a brochure on the way out.

Thumbing through the brochure I come across this......

and fall in love. That is the coolest Harley......coolest bike I have ever seen. Within 30sec of seeing this, I have already made up my mind that I'm getting it. I just have to figure out how to turn an 883 Iron into it. The crazy thing is, I know the suspension sucks, and the gas tank is too small, and it shakes and shudders, and probably handles like sh#t compared to my Ninja, but I don't care I have to have it. So once all the snow goes away in the spring I'm hitting the local Harley dealer here and getting an 883 Iron and starting the slow, expensive mods to make it into that.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #2027
gusanito
Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer: 237
The gas tank is a Paughco 4.2 gallon, part # 832C on this page. I found it on the Dennis Kirk scratch and dent site for less than 1/2 off list.

I didn't need to carry a lot in the bags, so I built the lightest system I could. I have other bikes for heavy duty and long trips. That being said, the front upper mount hangs on the shock stud with a 3/8"x16x1 1/8" coupling nut and the rear just uses a longer 5/16" bolt with a 3 3/4" spacer. The bags are attached to the brackets with 5/16" hardware. Lateral vibration is minimal, but just to be on the safe side, I'll be adding a support rod from the bottom of the bracket to the second from the last bolt on the fender rail for triangulation.

gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #2028
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
... it shakes and shudders...
This is a myth perpetuated by people who want a Harley but can't afford one. The rubber-engine mounts make them as smooth as just about any other bike. The engine shakes and shudders at idle, but once you're under way you can hardly feel it.

The suspension, on the other hand, could be improved. The rear shocks on my XR1200 feel like they have about half an inch of travel.
Nadgett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #2029
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Last week, while away on a work trip with a fellow riding buddy we dropped into a Harley dealer in Glenns Falls, NY. My buddy Scott is Harley rider, loves his Street Glide, and has it customized really nice. I on the other hand have been a sport bike, dirt bike guy all my life. I appreciate Harleys for what they are, but never pictured myself on one. We spent about 30mins at this dealer, looked at a couple of Sporty's, the 48 is really nice, and then I grab a brochure on the way out.

Thumbing through the brochure I come across this......

and fall in love. That is the coolest Harley......coolest bike I have ever seen. Within 30sec of seeing this, I have already made up my mind that I'm getting it. I just have to figure out how to turn an 883 Iron into it. The crazy thing is, I know the suspension sucks, and the gas tank is too small, and it shakes and shudders, and probably handles like sh#t compared to my Ninja, but I don't care I have to have it. So once all the snow goes away in the spring I'm hitting the local Harley dealer here and getting an 883 Iron and starting the slow, expensive mods to make it into that.
Just my opinion but I would not start with a Iron unless you want that exact same tank. I would not buy new myself. To get the handling you want this might be a better starting point;

Harley no longer sells them but they can be found with low miles in the 7-8k range. Get one with the "X" suspension. (Big piston fork, fully adjustable rears.) Be sure you like the shape of the tank. The tank on the XR and the tanks on the other sporties will not swap out easily. ( XR has a down draft fuel injection, the other sporties have side draft. You can swap to the side draft but it could be a pain. The XR has oil cooled heads, other Sportsters do not. The oil lines to the heads on a XR is the problem) If the tank shape works for you, just paint the tank cover and body piece. (The XR has a plastic tank with a plastic cover, the other Sportsters are metal. The body piece is plastic too.)
The suspension is easily upgraded through the usual aftermarket suppliers, including Ohlins.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #2030
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Better picture, no Wolfman bag;
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #2031
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543

Thats my saddle bag project. Using two army issued gasmask bags.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #2032
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
This is a myth perpetuated by people who want a Harley but can't afford one. The rubber-engine mounts make them as smooth as just about any other bike. The engine shakes and shudders at idle, but once you're under way you can hardly feel it.

The suspension, on the other hand, could be improved. The rear shocks on my XR1200 feel like they have about half an inch of travel.
Yep, looks like a paint shaker at idle, pretty smooth once you get under way.
Nadgett, looks like you have the non-X suspension. Lots of options are out there, at all price ranges.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #2033
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
Yep, looks like a paint shaker at idle, pretty smooth once you get under way.
Nadgett, looks like you have the non-X suspension. Lots of options are out there, at all price ranges.
I figure cheap shocks don't last that long anyway, so I'll replace them with something better after a couple of years' riding. Nothing too fancy.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #2034
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:

Yep. I always believed it too, until I actually rode one. I prefer to think of it as a "throb". It's not objectionable at all. After riding other bikes that had no character I actually enjoy an engine that feels "alive".

Now, on the other hand, if you want to feel a bike that VIBRATES, you should take a spin on my KTM LC4!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #2035
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post

Thats my saddle bag project. Using two army issued gasmask bags.
Great idea......BUT.......the bike needs to be "ratted" up a bit.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #2036
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,176

Pscylone, ironhead based custom going under the hammer in Vegas this Saturday.
Maybe my favorite custom.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #2037
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,183
^A couple more - very nicely done bike.

(note the "pedals")

HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #2038
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Yep. I always believed it too, until I actually rode one. I prefer to think of it as a "throb". It's not objectionable at all. After riding other bikes that had no character I actually enjoy an engine that feels "alive".

Now, on the other hand, if you want to feel a bike that VIBRATES, you should take a spin on my KTM LC4!
One of the things I liked about the XR1200 the first time I rode it was the way the engine flopped around at idle but smoothed out when you start moving. That, plus the sound and the torque, reminded me of my old Norton Commando, which also had a rubber-mounted engine.

Low-frequency vibration doesn't bother me; my second bike was a BSA single, and my third a Ducati single. If you don't keep a death-grip on the bars, your hands won't start to tingle, and good old Loctite keeps the parts from falling off.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #2039
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
One of the things I liked about the XR1200 the first time I rode it was the way the engine flopped around at idle but smoothed out when you start moving. That, plus the sound and the torque, reminded me of my old Norton Commando, which also had a rubber-mounted engine.

Low-frequency vibration doesn't bother me; my second bike was a BSA single, and my third a Ducati single. If you don't keep a death-grip on the bars, your hands won't start to tingle, and good old Loctite keeps the parts from falling off.
This. ^^^ I don't mind the vibes from a rigid mounted sportster, in fact I kinda like the sensation when you're getting on it on a nice winding road. The rubbermounts have zero issues with vibration IMO..
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #2040
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Quote:

My 48 is smoother than my BMW at 70-80. The GS has a strange resonating vibration that after a few hours makes my hand numb. The valves are correct, and the bodies are tuned. It's just always bothered me. A lot of people talk about it and it bothers some more than others.