Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
the machinations of the global garment industry are quite complex. nice perspective. tough to get an accurate picture when relying on media driven by consumers that desire sensationalism.
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
Though, now that I have my GS, I have been considering getting a Motoport Marathon stretch kevlar jacket, since the riding position accomodates a longer jacket better than my GSX-R does, and the longer jacket would give me more pockets, and the stretch kevlar would be a bit warmer.
Consider mine. It's on ebay currently, so let me know if interested and we can work a deal.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
so let's assume that if you removed all the 'foreign' parts from the computer you are using what would hap..........pen?

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
pschuyler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
so let's assume that if you removed all the 'foreign' parts from the computer you are using what would hap..........pen?
Pretty funny, but spot on. Most of the appliances, clothes, and even some food comes from the new global trade ecosystem, it's hard to avoid but I see the desire to get goods made from our own labor force.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
Is there any American manufactured adventure motorcycle wear that doesn't look like Pillsbury Dough Boy?
Short answer: no.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider2 View Post
Sorry did'nt mean to insult anyone.
I do believe that due to the low, low. low pay (like 2 bucks a week), long hrs (15 hr days) and lack of safety or pollution cntrols that I would avoid things "Made in China". madison Ave will tell you its all good-but we kn w who pays them, don't we
Is my resolution perfect?? No but it's a grass roots start
Thanks

No need to apologize....communist are communist.Those poor folks who do work in those shops don't have much choice since their Gov. is communist. The U.S. use to have similiar working conditions not so long ago!....hopefully things will change for them(Non- Communist Gov.).Buy U.S.A. as much as you can....it feeds OUR comrades.People need to get back to U.S.A. first,then "worry" about other peoples......a strong U.S.A. is able to help other's,not the other way around.Never give into Liberalism....it is the path that leads to shops those poor folks have to work in.. Try lookin at Motoport perhaps.Also,I wonder how much cheese the Chinese really import?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
If you want Made in America textile gear -and- style you're out of luck.
If you're concerned about style , you're missing the boat.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
No need to apologize....communist are communist.Those poor folks who do work in those shops don't have much choice since their Gov. is communist. The U.S. use to have similiar working conditions not so long ago!....hopefully things will change for them(Non- Communist Gov.).Buy U.S.A. as much as you can....it feeds OUR comrades.People need to get back to U.S.A. first,then "worry" about other peoples......a strong U.S.A. is able to help other's,not the other way around.Never give into Liberalism....it is the path that leads to shops those poor folks have to work in.. Try lookin at Motoport perhaps.Also,I wonder how much cheese the Chinese really import?.
Screw the Chinese. They can buy cheese elsewhere. I expect most of that Wisconsin cheese is being subsidized by the US Dept. Of Agriculture anyway.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 388
Some or most of this companies products are Made in the USA. I believe you need to check from item to item. I have no affiliation. They have a vendor section but I could not track it down. Here is their website.

http://dubinky.com/

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,931
I buy major purchases from North American made & based companies first and then from free traders second. It's how I've rationalized purchasing products from Germany and Japan, for example. If they trade equitably, pay workers reasonably or if they are developing countries playing by the rules, I'll buy from them.

China? No.

It can be more expensive. I had 90 or so solar panels put on the house recently. Cheapest was stuff dumped in the US by the Chinese, but we went with a Japanese company manufacturing in the US.

You can't avoid all the Chinese crap. But I try to limit my purchases to low end commodity stuff instead of the higher end gear they copycat and patent infringe.

There is quality motorcycle clothing made in Romania and several Asian countries that play by the rules better than China.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
I buy major purchases from North American made & based companies first and then from free traders second. It's how I've rationalized purchasing products from Germany and Japan, for example. If they trade equitably, pay workers reasonably or if they are developing countries playing by the rules, I'll buy from them.

China? No.

It can be more expensive. I had 90 or so solar panels put on the house recently. Cheapest was stuff dumped in the US by the Chinese, but we went with a Japanese company manufacturing in the US.

You can't avoid all the Chinese crap. But I try to limit my purchases to low end commodity stuff instead of the higher end gear they copycat and patent infringe.

There is quality motorcycle clothing made in Romania and several Asian countries that play by the rules better than China.

Agree.....good post!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR Titus View Post
Sorry, first of all, WAAAAAAY off topic here... look away now.... go with Aerostitch, fantastic stuff built for the ages

Ah...... depending on province, but let's pick Guangdong where Shenzhen and Guangzhou is where probably 80% of the textile stuff are made.... their minimum wage has gone up 20% year on year for the last 4 years.

Last I checked it's roughly 3500 RMB/560USD a month (70 times the 2 bucks a week example), working 8.5 hours a day before OT.

The days of the locked up workers are long gone (gone in the 2000s), these days the workers will bring the fire marshal down your ass if they feel the least bit unsafe (or used as a salary bargaining tool, I kid you not). ).

China has indicated that it will stop handing down sentences to its controversial labor camps, which allow detention without trial for up to four years. According to Chinese media, some 160,000 prisoners were held in "re-education centers" at the end of 2008.

He became an outspoken critic of labor camps after spending 15 months in one. He was sent there by police, at the age of 24, without trial or even seeing a lawyer. His crime? Criticizing the local government in Chongqing by retweeting or forwarding 100 messages containing "negative information."

film about one labor camp shows blue-suited inmates bent over their work making electrical wiring. The inmates make computer cables and headphones for MP3 players.
Ren says he worked for about 10 hours a day, during which he was not allowed to speak to fellow inmates. He seldom had a day off.

The authoritative Xinhua news agency had this to say: "No further information on the reform was available for now."

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/07/168808...rs-few-details

I think a few of these people called the fire marshal, but since they were in prison without trial, without ever seeing a lawyer, and busy making products for sale on the open market, their calls weren't taken.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
VFR Titus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post

China has indicated that it will stop handing down sentences to its controversial labor camps, which allow detention without trial for up to four years. According to Chinese media, some 160,000 prisoners were held in "re-education centers" at the end of 2008.

He became an outspoken critic of labor camps after spending 15 months in one. He was sent there by police, at the age of 24, without trial or even seeing a lawyer. His crime? Criticizing the local government in Chongqing by retweeting or forwarding 100 messages containing "negative information."

film about one labor camp shows blue-suited inmates bent over their work making electrical wiring. The inmates make computer cables and headphones for MP3 players.
Ren says he worked for about 10 hours a day, during which he was not allowed to speak to fellow inmates. He seldom had a day off.

The authoritative Xinhua news agency had this to say: "No further information on the reform was available for now."

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/07/168808...rs-few-details

I think a few of these people called the fire marshal, but since they were in prison without trial, without ever seeing a lawyer, and busy making products for sale on the open market, their calls weren't taken.
Well I’m not saying that doesn’t happen, all I can say is from personal experience from living in Jiangsu province for two years is that I’ve seen people singing hymns in churches and no prison camps (I drove by a prison once located near a tea farm without knowing and asked one of my managers if that’s a resort….).

Then again they are probably hidden away up north or west so I’m not saying they don’t exist. But I've seen workers threaten to make bogus reports to fire marshals unless business owners paid some extra "bonus". Usually it happens when a factory looks for new workers after every Chinese new years in the big tier 1 cities and a group of migrant workers from the same village out west signs up together as a production line. Then they’ve got “bargaining power” when they can rally all their same-village friends to go on strike or beat the owners or burn their buildings down.

I’ve known competitors who at the cheering on of Walmart and other big chain customers invested in opening up new town-sized factories in the late 2007s; “build it and we will place zillions of pairs of jeans orders with you. Contract? Nah you don’t need contract, we’re a Fortune 500 company! We’re North American, you can trust our business ethics! Risks? Well, that’s part of your job to take our risks!”. Then in 2008 Walmart and other guys go “ops” and walk away, the workers demand pay, the local government who welcomed their investment in the beginning now threaten to jail them to set a public example, the bankers obviously want their umbrellas back now that it’s raining and the guy’s family goes from owning 6 high end cars and real estate in Hong Kong to bankrupt over the course of a few weeks (and I can't imagine being that second generation guy who ended a 40 year old family business that way). And the guy who jumped off a building after his toy factory unwittingly bought paint from a fraudulent lead laced paint from a guy who was supposed to be his friend? Not saying that they didn’t’ have their day in the sun when business was good but don’t think for a second that people running those factories don’t take on risks with running any kind of businesses. Usually they suffer worse fates (if they’re caught) than most North American executives (even if they’re caught) when they commit crimes.

Anyway, the world exists in shades of grey, good stuff happens with bad people and bad stuff happens with good people globally. Before they develop the mental faculties to evaluate situations on its own merit, children view things as black and white and if one apple is bad then all apples are bad. Just hope there’s more adults in the world that’s all.

And ok, this is waaaay off topic, I'm not going to respond anymore; feel free to have your own beliefs and I'll stick with my own that prison camps exists and people trying their best to make a living also exists.
'08 VFR 800 - Nuts roaster in HK
Cagers diet for vanity. Riders diet for better power to weight ratio
VFR Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #29
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 716
I found a pretty good jacket about 8 years ago from a company right here in Oregon. I believe they said it was made in the US. Sadly, I must have been the only person to buy one and they are no longer available. It has served me well and kept me safe and comfy all these years.
It is (was) called "Rooster Performance). The list of features is huge and blows anything else out of the water. Mine was $180 delivered, new.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,662
I've had my Stich for 18 years and other then frayed collar and cuffs and new pads, it is still waterproof and very functional. Other suits may be more stylish but I doubt any are more durable.
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote