ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #6811
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,208
RallyRaid Evo-2 Tanks
Has anyone fitted the new Evo-2 tanks from Rally Raid UK?
Without the Adv of rally fairing – i.e. with the RR tank shrouds only?
If so, could you provide some pics? From each side, and from the rider’s perspective.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #6812
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 180
Hahaha, I'm actually familiar with this story. I'm in no rush to mod out the suspension as the weather is typically Canadian right now. :) But come the start of the riding season I'm going to live with it for awhile and see whats what. Given my research it's looking like I will lower the suspension 1" (or 25mm) rather than use the lowering link.

Thanks for all the input guys!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
I wouldn't bother with the lowering link (30" inseam here.) Good chance to practice your karate kick. Dismount to the high side keeping low leg on the peg (Capt Morgan style.)

Inspiration:

Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #6813
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Hahaha, I'm actually familiar with this story. I'm in no rush to mod out the suspension as the weather is typically Canadian right now. :) But come the start of the riding season I'm going to live with it for awhile and see whats what. Given my research it's looking like I will lower the suspension 1" (or 25mm) rather than use the lowering link.

Thanks for all the input guys!!

Just out of curiosity canadian_bacon, would you lower it by instaling another shorter shock and than driping the forks or is there some other way??
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #6814
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 180
The motorbike show was this past weekend where I live and luckily there was a suspension shop that specializes in KTM's. My original idea was to simply get the lowering link but after looking into it and getting some advise from experts the lowering link with affect off road performance which in no good as I plan on building my 690 E into and adventure bike (Evo 2 tank kit and all).

As far as the shorter shock question, this shop builds custom springs so I haven't started talking to them in detail yet but I will let you know what they/we come up with when the time comes. To be honest I kinda knew that the lowering link solution would be too good to be true because of the extra weight that will be thrown on it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Just out of curiosity canadian_bacon, would you lower it by instaling another shorter shock and than driping the forks or is there some other way??
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #6815
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
The motorbike show was this past weekend where I live and luckily there was a suspension shop that specializes in KTM's. My original idea was to simply get the lowering link but after looking into it and getting some advise from experts the lowering link with affect off road performance which in no good as I plan on building my 690 E into and adventure bike (Evo 2 tank kit and all).

As far as the shorter shock question, this shop builds custom springs so I haven't started talking to them in detail yet but I will let you know what they/we come up with when the time comes. To be honest I kinda knew that the lowering link solution would be too good to be true because of the extra weight that will be thrown on it.
K, thanks... Reason I asked is because I'd prefer about 8" (aprox 200mm) of suspension travel for agressive street and odd track day riding ( with 17"wheels) which will be my primary use. For the lame off-road rideing that I do (from experiance) this is a good compromise for me. But like you I will spend some time with it first and see how it goes.
I'm buying a 2013 next week and looks like buying it will be the cheap part lol. I'm also looking at Evo2 (tanks only).

Havent picked a dealer yet, alltho I will shop around. Having said that if the price difference is not to drastic I'd reather go with a dealer with good repor. Any sugestions in AB?? Heading to Fort mac for work next week so I need to lock one in before theyr all gone as I wont be done till end of March.

Thanks
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #6816
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Oddometer: 180
If you are going to be ripping around the track maybe consider the new duke 690? Same engine, frame, more suited for aggressive road riding. Would be a lot cheaper than getting a brand new enduro, evo kit, and 17" wheels and rubber. :). The new duke is listed roughly $1200 cheaper than the enduro, then I'd get a cheap dirt bike or dual sport to go play in the dirt with. Fixing and kitting up a 690 enduro can get pricy.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
K, thanks... Reason I asked is because I'd prefer about 8" (aprox 200mm) of suspension travel for agressive street and odd track day riding ( with 17"wheels) which will be my primary use. For the lame off-road rideing that I do (from experiance) this is a good compromise for me. But like you I will spend some time with it first and see how it goes.
I'm buying a 2013 next week and looks like buying it will be the cheap part lol. I'm also looking at Evo2 (tanks only).

Havent picked a dealer yet, alltho I will shop around. Having said that if the price difference is not to drastic I'd reather go with a dealer with good repor. Any sugestions in AB?? Heading to Fort mac for work next week so I need to lock one in before theyr all gone as I wont be done till end of March.

Thanks
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #6817
Oz-Strom
Still trying
 
Oz-Strom's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Brisbane Australia
Oddometer: 730
Lowering link

FWIW - I fitted the 1" lowering link to my 690E and dropped the triples about the same amount. I rode our local APC rally in 2012 (8000kms) with the bike fully loaded on some rough and diverse terrain. And I actually like the slight change in how the suspension works. Mind you, I am no racer, but maintain a moderate pace. I found that I needed to keep the drive chain long and the wheel back in the swingarm to avoid rubbing the tank. Set up like this, a new knobby will just graze the tank on big hits.

A mate, who is vertically challenged, tried the 1 5/8" lowering link on his 690R, but it is too much and does rub the tank. So he had his suspension modded and now he is very happy with the reach to the ground and suspension performance.
__________________
Cheers
Graham
Oz-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #6818
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dalmatino's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Prison Planet Earth
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
If you are going to be ripping around the track maybe consider the new duke 690? Same engine, frame, more suited for aggressive road riding. Would be a lot cheaper than getting a brand new enduro, evo kit, and 17" wheels and rubber. :). The new duke is listed roughly $1200 cheaper than the enduro, then I'd get a cheap dirt bike or dual sport to go play in the dirt with. Fixing and kitting up a 690 enduro can get pricy.
Tha thing is I also want to do some adventure trips so I'll be dressing it up and down. For example when I decide to do Baja I'll throw the bike in the Van, drive down to Bay area and spend few days buzzing all the local twisties and posibly do a track day at one of the tracks. When done I will swap wheels and set up for adventure mode. At this point the van goes in a secure lock up and from there I continue down to Baja on the bike.
This is how I want to do all my motorcycling from now on. No big bikes no friggn' slab.
I also have an SV1000, all tricked out street fighter that was put on a major diet ...It stays but the cow needs to go.
Anyone want real nice 08 Vstrom 1k
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #6819
jorich
Adventurer
 
jorich's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Red Deer, AB
Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
K, thanks... Reason I asked is because I'd prefer about 8" (aprox 200mm) of suspension travel for agressive street and odd track day riding ( with 17"wheels) which will be my primary use. For the lame off-road rideing that I do (from experiance) this is a good compromise for me. But like you I will spend some time with it first and see how it goes.
I'm buying a 2013 next week and looks like buying it will be the cheap part lol. I'm also looking at Evo2 (tanks only).

Havent picked a dealer yet, alltho I will shop around. Having said that if the price difference is not to drastic I'd reather go with a dealer with good repor. Any sugestions in AB?? Heading to Fort mac for work next week so I need to lock one in before theyr all gone as I wont be done till end of March.

Thanks
I bought my 2010 at A&E Marine in Brooks AB. Everybody in that shop is great. Everytime I go in there I end up in the back shop talking about 690's and riding trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
The motorbike show was this past weekend where I live and luckily there was a suspension shop that specializes in KTM's. My original idea was to simply get the lowering link but after looking into it and getting some advise from experts the lowering link with affect off road performance which in no good as I plan on building my 690 E into and adventure bike (Evo 2 tank kit and all).

As far as the shorter shock question, this shop builds custom springs so I haven't started talking to them in detail yet but I will let you know what they/we come up with when the time comes. To be honest I kinda knew that the lowering link solution would be too good to be true because of the extra weight that will be thrown on it.
Hey Canadian, do have the name of that suspension shop? I was at the show on saturday and completely missed seeing any suspension guys
__________________
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not why ships are built...

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #6820
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there
 
thorinoakenshield's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: ☼
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Tha thing is I also want to do some adventure trips so I'll be dressing it up and down. For example when I decide to do Baja I'll throw the bike in the Van, drive down to Bay area and spend few days buzzing all the local twisties and posibly do a track day at one of the tracks. When done I will swap wheels and set up for adventure mode. At this point the van goes in a secure lock up and from there I continue down to Baja on the bike.
Sounds like a nice trip. 690 @ Laguna Seca
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #6821
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 5,169
Well I figured it out.
__________________
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki

TheMuffinMan screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 12:02 AM
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #6822
Tootega
n00b
 
Tootega's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Northern Ireland
Oddometer: 8
KUBA link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
I've got a 1" 5/8 lowering link and it's made hardly any difference in lowering the bike in my opinion
I HAVE 2 KUBA LINKS im using the 2" one as i am a short arse. The tyre has clearance (sag rate set) and does not hit the tank. I dont have luggage etc.

G.
Tootega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #6823
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootega View Post
I HAVE 2 KUBA LINKS im using the 2" one as i am a short arse. The tyre has clearance (sag rate set) and does not hit the tank. I dont have luggage etc.

G.


I don't think the tire can ever hit the tank unless you have a ginormous tire on there. I think with the shock out of the bike the tire gets close to the tank but I cannot remember if it ever hits.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #6824
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer
 
SKINNY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I don't think the tire can ever hit the tank unless you have a ginormous tire on there. I think with the shock out of the bike the tire gets close to the tank but I cannot remember if it ever hits.
I've left tire marks on my tank several times...if you bottom the shock, a Bridgestone 120/100 tire will definitely rub on the 2008 model...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #6825
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I've left tire marks on my tank several times...if you bottom the shock, a Bridgestone 120/100 tire will definitely rub on the 2008 model...

hmmm guess I will have to look again. mine is an 08 and I have run some tall tires on there and I don't recall any signs of damage on the tank from direct tire contact.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014