Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #76
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,828
Are you guys still talking about lifting my truck a little?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #77
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
I gave my ol 96 blazer a 2 in body lift -hd shocks and 31 tires and it made a big difference to where i could go off road ..i recommend a mild upgrade like this for a daily driver but if you are more of a serious off roader than me go to the next level and do the suspension lift..all this work was done so i could take my dog hiking further up the mountains so i wouldnt have to hike so far..now i reach the top places and its easier on both our older bones
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #78
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #79
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Are you guys still talking about lifting my truck a little?
Who are you and why are you here?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #80
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
I have one of those old 2nd generation 4Runners everyone makes fun of for sagging in the rear, and boy does mine sag!

I am reasonably certain that the tie rods and other suspension consumables are shot, but its 20 years old and on all stock parts best I can tell. That includes the shocks

So, I need to replace parts, question is what with? Sure I could go with all Toyota OEM parts and have a nice ride, or go aftermarket for a very mild lift for not much more money than I am going to have to spend anyway. Decisions, decisions. If nothing else I will probably do something to lift the rear although I am not sure what at this point, then depending on how that looks I may even crank the torsion bars down to not make it look so goofy in the front. Then add some Bridgestone All-terrain KOs and call it done. I do no serious offroading, but I would like to go to some of the local places every now and then. These old 4Runners are pretty capable in stock form, and I have no need to drastically alter what works nicely already.

To answer your question... It sounds like you have a legitimate need for a little more clearance, so go for it
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #81
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,012
Actually, Toyota didn't "fix" the 4Runner squat until the 2000 model year 3G refresh. The suspension on our 2000 was way different than our 1999. The 2000 truck was level, the rear held up a trailer better and it drove better. Our 99 is the classic taildragger. The Performance Products catalog used to sell 4Runner rear springs with a different height and rate to fix the 3G squat. I don't know about the 2G or if they are even still in business.

I don't see much need to lift a 4Runner unless you really want to go nuts with big tires. The stock tires on our 3G SR5's are about as big as I would ever want to go on that truck for a daily driver. But then my serious offroading is limited to bikes these days. I just want it capable enough to serve a land surveyor's offroading needs.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 09:20 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #82
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Who are you and why are you here?
Well, I stumbled on this thread and was wondering if someone might tell me if it might improve the gas mileage if I lowered my Unimog.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #83
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Lifting / Leveling

I have done a few custom lift jobs in the past and have a friend that does this as a business. He can't even begin to tell you how many guys bring their brand new trucks (for everyday use) in to him to have them lifted to fit bigger tires and then a year or so later they are back to have him take it off. He does some phenomenal work and does not build anything that is not drivable. "if you can't drive it to get to the trail, then why build it" is what I hear him say alot.

All that being said, look into an Ol Man Emu kit. They are one of the more Toyota specific suspension companies out there. They have stuff for old Land Cruisers, 4 Runners, and the newer model stuff. While you are at it get some bumpers on that thing. ARB bumpers is what I would suggest.

On the MOG... Those are bad ass. I wouldn't mess with it except to keep it going.

Here is a link to my 1980 CJ http://j.b5z.net/zirw/5/i/u/2123557/...1603.jpg?ab=39 as a reference.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #84
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

You talkin' to me?

I already have decided to go with Old Man Emu. I have never heard anything bad about them from anyone with a 4Runner. So, shocks front and rear, steering stabilizer, coil springs for the rear, and probably ball joint spacers or whatever they are called so I do not have to crank the torsion bar that much if at all.

This is assuming I can get the 4X4 to work first before dumping any money into the suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I have done a few custom lift jobs in the past and have a friend that does this as a business. He can't even begin to tell you how many guys bring their brand new trucks (for everyday use) in to him to have them lifted to fit bigger tires and then a year or so later they are back to have him take it off. He does some phenomenal work and does not build anything that is not drivable. "if you can't drive it to get to the trail, then why build it" is what I hear him say alot.

All that being said, look into an Ol Man Emu kit. They are one of the more Toyota specific suspension companies out there. They have stuff for old Land Cruisers, 4 Runners, and the newer model stuff. While you are at it get some bumpers on that thing. ARB bumpers is what I would suggest.

On the MOG... Those are bad ass. I wouldn't mess with it except to keep it going.

Here is a link to my 1980 CJ http://j.b5z.net/zirw/5/i/u/2123557/...1603.jpg?ab=39 as a reference.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #85
kOnwater
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Have you looked up the tundra TRD front springs with the blistien 5100's? Have them in the 4runner and it's great. I have heard that it's too stiff when put into a tacoma tho.
kOnwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #86
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,145
Well played with OME, quality product - that's what I run on my T4R. I have the HD springs for hauling junk around .
By looking at the gap you can tell I could stuff bigger meats in there but the additional MPG loss was not worth 1/4 inch more clearance.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #87
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
All that being said, look into an Ol Man Emu kit.
Funny you'd suggest that company. I have their springs in our woods Samurai. I used to use it for hauling logs out and broke all the stock springs. Seems like the axles wanted to keep going when the logs stopped the body and frame.
The OME springs are still as good as the day I put them in 13 years ago.

Nice looking Jeep.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #88
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

There you have it

The you go then. You are familiar with their product and how well it is engineered. Even a couple of nice exaples to draw upon right here.

RXz if that helped you, then yes, I was talking to you or anyone else who was inquiring.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #89
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

And thanks for the pictures and testimonials as well. This will definitely be the way I go, as soon as I figure out the 4x4 issue. I think it is an actuator in the front differential, electrics and vacuum are good, that is all that is left according to the shop I took it to a few months back.

Quote:
The you go then. You are familiar with their product and how well it is engineered. Even a couple of nice exaples to draw upon right here.

RXz if that helped you, then yes, I was talking to you or anyone else who was inquiring.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #90
Krazyjohnny
Gnarly Adventurer

Rxz,

Unfortunately 4x4s got popular to those that think of them as a status thing instead of the tool they were meant to be. The vacuum/electric engagement stuff today is so those who want to look like a rugged individual on their way to the mall or around here in the North Dallas area, Harley shop, can just flip a switch or push a button to engage the 4x4. I prefer a mechanical lever and locking hubs. My Jeep has unit bearing hubs that are similar to those found in the front axle of a 1 ton Dodge or Ford HD pickup. That means I just shift the Atlas T-case into 4wd hi or lo and go on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: