ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer
 
speedmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 571
Riding enjoyed unprecedented growth when the economy was good now that it is bad there has been a contraction.
If not the economy, but the employment situation was to improve I think all forms of recreation would grow.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer
 
Nadgett's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Slovenia
Oddometer: 546
Hah! Next somebody will be trying to tell us bowling isn't a sport.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #33
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer
 
Sticky Throttle's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

I'm not seeing a problem, other than the OP referring to motorcycling as a "sport".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
And unless you are racing, motorcycle is not a sport, it's a hobby. Barry
Curious--why is motorcycling not a sport? Does that mean if you don't play competitive golf (as in, for money, on the PGA Tour), it's not a sport? Or is running not a sport unless you are in a formal race/competition? Or is Chess a sport IF it's in a formal tournament?

It's no big deal cuz I don't know you and am a big boy who sees things a little more broadly and respectfully. Having been or now being a racer is cool. Even so, unless you're Roger DeCoster, Barry Sheene, or you didn't get enough attention as a child and now need validation, these seem like narrow characterizations for a lot of people on here who share our motorcycling passion. (Oh, and I was a motocross racer at a younger age, which hopefully qualifies my comment and secures my status as a non-poseur.)

Oh, and to the point, I think the health or the motorcycle industry in the US is a bit threatened by post-babyboomer demographics, current economic doldrums, and the smaller discretionary income (than 10 years ago) in the hands of those under 40.

Hope to see you on the road sometime...
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS
2010 Bonneville T100
Sticky Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
Hah! Next somebody will be trying to tell us bowling isn't a sport.


Obviously you're not a golfer.
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #35
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Throttle View Post
Curious--why is motorcycling not a sport? Does that mean if you don't play competitive golf (as in, for money, on the PGA Tour), it's not a sport? Or is running not a sport unless you are in a formal race/competition? Or is Chess a sport IF it's in a formal tournament?

Most definitions of sports read something like this: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

Yes there's a tiny amount of physical activity in chess, but for the most part it isn't that important.

If you aren't in a regulated competition with another rider (or driver) where there is a clear winner or loser, it isn't a sporting event. You are in transit from point A to point B. It is transportation. If you still disagree, why isn't driving a sport when you're just commuting?

Never mind the whole can of worms calling motorcycling a sport can open with those that already have a negative view of motorcyclists and motorcycling.


If you'd like to split hairs further, I'd caution you first to read the text above my avatar and my sig.
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #36
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer
 
Sticky Throttle's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Most definitions of sports read something like this: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

Yes there's a tiny amount of physical activity in chess, but for the most part it isn't that important.

If you aren't in a regulated competition with another rider (or driver) where there is a clear winner or loser, it isn't a sporting event. You are in transit from point A to point B. It is transportation. If you still disagree, why isn't driving a sport when you're just commuting?

Never mind the whole can of worms calling motorcycling a sport can open with those that already have a negative view of motorcyclists and motorcycling.


If you'd like to split hairs further, I'd caution you first to read the text above my avatar and my sig.
www.dictionary.com
Sport [spawrt, spohrt] noun
1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2.a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4.jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5.mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

Yah, I guess I'm mocking you.
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS
2010 Bonneville T100
Sticky Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #37
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wraith Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 1,109
About 12 years ago I started exercising this sport as soon as I was allowed to at the age of 15/16, including a brand new motorcycle. Ten years later my little sister did the same. And if there ever will be little Wraith Juniors, they will do too. No way motorcycle industry is doomed.
__________________
"Why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else."
"Because we shouldn't have to."
Wraith Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Throttle View Post
www.dictionary.com
Sport [spawrt, spohrt] noun
1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2.a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4.jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5.mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

Yah, I guess I'm mocking you.

So you'd refer to your motorcycling as a mere diversion? Is that really what you mean?

Why, again, is motorcycling a "sport" when driving isn't? Why would you use such an ambiguous word for something that you claim is so important to your life?
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #39
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer
 
Sticky Throttle's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
So you'd refer to your motorcycling as a mere diversion? Is that really what you mean?

Why, again, is motorcycling a "sport" when driving isn't? Why would you use such an ambiguous word for something that you claim is so important to your life?
Sorry, this discussion of semantics is a waste of time. My points:

1. Motorcycling doesn't have to be racing to be a sport; a spirited track-day ride, dual-sporting to Alaska, or bettering your skills for more than just transportation can be sport.
2. Not being a racer (past or present) doesn't automatically make one a poseur.
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS
2010 Bonneville T100
Sticky Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #40
Pugsly
n00b
 
Pugsly's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Downriver Michigan
Oddometer: 2
so..

My step-son did not get his drivers license til he was 24 years old. He didn't want it. The age at which the first time drivers is going up. I anxiously anticipated my drivers license from 13 years old. I had a car at 15 and was driving on my 16th birthday. Kids these days aren't leaving home til they are 30 so getting their first new bike at 49 sounds about right..
Maybe motorcycling is a sport if you ride a sport bike. Or a dual sport or an old Honda 750 SuperSport? I once raced a HD Dyna with my Goldwing and he didn't have a sporting chance. Glad to see that all of you are good sports, just like the old codgers on the GL1800 forums..
Pugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
DiamondDan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsly View Post
My step-son did not get his drivers license til he was 24 years old. He didn't want it. The age at which the first time drivers is going up. I anxiously anticipated my drivers license from 13 years old. I had a car at 15 and was driving on my 16th birthday. Kids these days aren't leaving home til they are 30 so getting their first new bike at 49 sounds about right..
Maybe motorcycling is a sport if you ride a sport bike. Or a dual sport or an old Honda 750 SuperSport? I once raced a HD Dyna with my Goldwing and he didn't have a sporting chance. Glad to see that all of you are good sports, just like the old codgers on the GL1800 forums..
This.
Kids don't care about driving, riding, or flying like they used to. There are lots of possible reasons such as:
....rather do gaming and social media for entertainment
...cost for insurance, gas, etc
...over scheduled with activities
...post college loadd with debt so unable to take on new loans

My car dealerfriends tell me they are seeing many fewer 20 something buyers, and I know in general aviation, there are many fewer recreationally focused student pilot starts. It's not too surprising that power sports dealers (oops, there's that sports word) would struggle with the younger cohort.

In time, kids will tire of social media. They have moved away from cell phone conversations and texting, and in time, Facebook and instagram will run their course. But the real challenge is to compete and win their attention and hours. If young adults are working two jobs and students are loaded up with activities, therejustarent the hours to expend on driving, riding, or flying.
DiamondDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #42
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: New York
Oddometer: 133
By calling motorcycling a sport you dismiss the fact that motorcycling is a common and viable mode of transportation. Driving can be a sport like NASCAR or f1 but we do not call it a sport in everyday life.

By accepting that motorcycling is a sport you accept that all motorcycling is just a form or recreation which should be regulated as such and not seen as an equal to other forms of transportation.

Motorcycling is not a sport but motorcycles are used in sporting events same as cars.


Odd grammar, words and spelling brought to you by my iPhone's autocorrect.
__________________
2007 BMW R1200RT
2002 Honda XR400r
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #43
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

Why, again, is motorcycling a "sport" when driving isn't? Why would you use such an ambiguous word for something that you claim is so important to your life?
d00d. You're not driving the right kinda car...
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #44
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer
 
Sticky Throttle's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
By calling motorcycling a sport you dismiss the fact that motorcycling is a common and viable mode of transportation. Driving can be a sport like NASCAR or f1 but we do not call it a sport in everyday life.

By accepting that motorcycling is a sport you accept that all motorcycling is just a form or recreation which should be regulated as such and not seen as an equal to other forms of transportation.

Motorcycling is not a sport but motorcycles are used in sporting events same as cars.


Odd grammar, words and spelling brought to you by my iPhone's autocorrect.
Depends on your intent. Seems to me you could do either or both.

How many sportbike riders do you know who buy a liter bike strictly for transportation? It can be transportation and, depending on intent and the way a bike is ridden, it can be sport.

Does this issue really need to be complicated/debated? They do call certain types of bikes sport-bikes, sport-touring and dual-sports after all.
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS
2010 Bonneville T100
Sticky Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
MJS
Beastly Adventurer
 
MJS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura, CA
Oddometer: 1,801
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."





















__________________
"You can follow me, but it's gonna hurt"
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014