Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #91
dmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Doesn't look like a Randonne is much of a handicap,I would bet Takumi is riding a 170cc version though.Other pics show the electric start still in place.

2011 Sherco 250 trials,83 Fantic 240 trials,1992 Fantic 309 trials,09 Kawasaki KLX250s,1984 SWM 320TL,03 KTM 640 Adv
dmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #92
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Thumb nice to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
New info from GGUSA indicates a 170cc version of the Randonne will be offered this year. Supposedly. you can buy them with the European homologation kit (street legal in Europe) as well - so in States like NH, you could register it for street use. Not sure if it will have the needed stamps on the COO - to get it reg'd in strict states like Ca. Or Ma. My guess they will sell the 170 bike with the kit for under $6K - hopefully much less.
170 is making it a little more tempting, not quite sure if I am going to get a pure trials or something like this yet, but at least I have my wifes 125 to play on in the mean time. That is when she lets me...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #93
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmay View Post
Doesn't look like a Randonne is much of a handicap,I would bet Takumi is riding a 170cc version though.Other pics show the electric start still in place.
I bet that E-start sure makes a stalled bike easy to get back in the game...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #94
Lotus54
Ngana

Oddometer: 141
I really want one!

I've been riding my 2002 GasGas TXT Pro up on the trails, it is great fun. The gearbox gap is a bit of a pain, but it has so much bottom end it doesn't matter as much as it might.

In Washington State it would be no big deal to plate.
I have my KTM 300 XCW legally played with the new law.
I certainly wouldn't want to ride it on the road very far, but would be excellent for connector FS roads etc.

Now I just need the money.

Mark

Lotus54 screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 10:12 PM
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #95
Lotus54
Ngana

I sold my Aprilia RS250 and gasGas 280- so I'll be getting the new model explorer as soon as they are here.

I'll post up some reviews/video.
Should be great fun on the mountain trails!

Guys in Victoria, come on over and we can take a ride on some fun stuff!

Mark
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #96
Lotus54
Ngana

This bike is fantastic!
I've been out doing trail rides, some with some rather difficult sections, some just plain single track.

I didn't have trouble keeping up with the other guys, and had a much easier time in thought stuff.
Highly recommended!

I put 2" bar risers on it, pegs are good now- rear brake pedal is crummy- get the trials one.
Easy to start, seems decent fuel mileage.
Plated!

http://youtu.be/JDwfk8Ud89c
Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #97
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
I'd love to see the Explorer also offered the 300cc top end. I rode one of the 300i models. Really gutsy, fun motor!

But that's a detail.

Another nice one would be, say, a 320cc 4 stroke in a similar format as the Explorer and Sherco X-Ride. I love 2 strokes, but a big draw for me is also street legal. I think in the US a 4 stroke will be required to not get filtered out by the EPA.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #98
Lotus54
Ngana

I'll bet you could order one with the 300.
I haven't needed more power yet.

One of the biggest features for me is the light weight- the KTM Freeride 4stroke is a LOT heavier (of course so is their 2-stroke).

Mine passed EPA- but wasn't classes as 50 state legal or anything.
I do have it plated in Washington state.
It runs very clean. Well, I have not put an exhaust analyzer on it, so maybe I should just say no smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
I'd love to see the Explorer also offered the 300cc top end. I rode one of the 300i models. Really gutsy, fun motor!

But that's a detail.

Another nice one would be, say, a 320cc 4 stroke in a similar format as the Explorer and Sherco X-Ride. I love 2 strokes, but a big draw for me is also street legal. I think in the US a 4 stroke will be required to not get filtered out by the EPA.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #99
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
NEW PICTURES, looks like actual bike?

http://www.ossamotor.es/EN/models.php?idMoto=339
Yup. Real bike.

One of the hardest hit areas in the world regarding an economic contraction is southern Europe, with Spain as a big example. As with the US, Spain has had lots of money chasing real estate and other bubbles. Unlike the US, they don't have their own fiat currency and can't simply print their way into the appearance of a recovery.

May the smaller startups like Ossa and Jotagas survive.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #100
Lotus54
Ngana

I guess I never did post pics or anything.

Mine is a 2014 Explorer, it is great!
I've been trail riding it where it shines the most is the tight, gnarly single track. The more difficult the better. Still fun even on two track, just have to ride it a bit differently than my 300. Whoops are not that fun, unless you can time them just right.
Plated, 2" bar risers,removed rear pegs and grab bar. I also installed a Tubliss system on the rear so I ca run lower pressures. So far I don't like the Pirellis as much as the X11 Michelin. It is better on the street though- I only plan to do quite short street rides, just to access trails.

The tank flips up and gives easy access to the quite high air filter (good sizes also, not the usual tiny trials one)

Old 11-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #101
Lotus54
Ngana

I've since out flush mount rear turn sigs, dual star mirrors, trimmed the number plate holder.

Here is some single track with enduro bikes.

http://youtu.be/JDwfk8Ud89c
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #102
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post

I've been trail riding it where it shines the most is the tight, gnarly single track. The more difficult the better. Still fun even on two track, just have to ride it a bit differently than my 300. Whoops are not that fun, unless you can time them just right.
Plated, 2" bar risers,removed rear pegs and grab bar. I also installed a Tubliss system on the rear so I ca run lower pressures. So far I don't like the Pirellis as much as the X11 Michelin. It is better on the street though- I only plan to do quite short street rides, just to access trails.

The tank flips up and gives easy access to the quite high air filter (good sizes also, not the usual tiny trials one)

Very cool. Looks like it would go anywhere!
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #103
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:

Very cool. Thanks for the pix, particularly under the faux tank. That would be a great city commuter bike (though it's hard to beat the scooters).

I'm curious about gearing. Is it the same as trials gearing? If you have to hit a bit of highway on your way to the trail, how fast can you go without having to scream its head off? The rear sprocket looks a bit smaller, and the front is an 11? A 12?

Gearing is one of the great limiters of do-all (or do more) bikes. I know of only one true wide-ratio six speed in any of the off road /dual-purpose bikes: in the KTM older RFS-motor in the EXC version. With the others I have to gear them way up to cover fast freeway use. I know the Ossa isn't meant for that, but I'm wondering just how limited it is.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #104
Lotus54
Ngana

It is trials gearing , but fifth and sixth are pretty darn high.
I have not tired over about 50mph yet, but that was quite easy.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 AM   #105
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
It is trials gearing , but fifth and sixth are pretty darn high.
I have not tired over about 50mph yet, but that was quite easy.
Sounds like they may have put a different and higher 5th and 6th in there, which would be wise. Tool around on the trail but not wring the motor's head off getting there.