User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
The Toad OP
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,140
Spoke Wheels and Powder Coating ???

Does anyone have experience with powder coating spoked wheels????

I am getting ready to put new shoes on the Ural and the the past 5 winters have done a good job on the rims and spokes.

I am strongly considering sandblasting the wheels with the spokes and have the whole assembled wheel/spoke assembly (bearings removed ) powder coated.

Anyone done this???

If so, how did it work out???

thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Had a couple of guys on another forum try it and didn't work so well. The powder coat where the spokes meet the rim and hub chipped off and made it look crappy. Also aren't able to true or adjust wheel if its all powder coated.

What they ended up doing was powder coating the hub and outer rim and replacing all the spokes. They were more than happy with that solution but might mean a little extra money for spokes in your case. Best of luck either way! I had thought about doing the same until I saw theirs.
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,045
Neither powder coat nor paint will adhere to something that moves much . . . .as nipples rotate (it doesn't take a lot) and work around in the rim, the coating will flake off . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Johnny5jz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I have done it on the first bike I ever built. I worked well until the next tire change when I went through and trued the rim. Just like what has been said, it will chip on the spokes you adjust. I now have done two bikes where I powder coated the rims and hubs, and relaced them with stainless spokes. It costs a little more, but is not that difficult.