User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Oddometer: 146
seat cowl is complete (to an extent)

So I glassed the cowl with 4 layers of FG...

Then when that finally set, i removed the mould from the plug:

not with out spilling some claret - this is it cleaned up, it bled a lot OK

and a bit of trimming to make it look better:

Next step is to high fill the mould ready for primer and paint

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

so the seat has been high filled to make it as smooth as I can, 4 layers of primer has been layed on it and its ready to be sanded/painted...stoked. I will make the seat for it later and wrap the seat cover around the bottom of the seat and rivet it along the side to finish it off.

Next step is to prep the tank and my fairings (im using the stock front fairing but i need to find a replacement rear fearing, i dont want the stock one (goes up under the seat) does anyone know of a fairing that will fit the bike that i could replace it with? i was thinking of just taking the width of the fairing and radius and find one that will fit at the wreckers.

the tank stripped and looking like it needs some love

the old tank badges retired from its duty

do you guys think that i should put my nose fairing on? i think i should - it would look pretty bad ass all painted up and mounted

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Looking good so far, what are you doing with the front, new bars guages or not? I like the no fairing front ends, bare and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearse View Post
so the seat has been high filled to make it as smooth as I can, 4 layers of primer has been layed on it and its ready to be sanded/painted...stoked. I will make the seat for it later and wrap the seat cover around the bottom of the seat and rivet it along the side to finish it off.

Next step is to prep the tank and my fairings (im using the stock front fairing but i need to find a replacement rear fearing, i dont want the stock one (goes up under the seat) does anyone know of a fairing that will fit the bike that i could replace it with? i was thinking of just taking the width of the fairing and radius and find one that will fit at the wreckers.

the tank stripped and looking like it needs some love

the old tank badges retired from its duty

do you guys think that i should put my nose fairing on? i think i should - it would look pretty bad ass all painted up and mounted

johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
ianmp

Oddometer: 93
Hey! I just saw this thread, I guess I'm a little late but I want to throw in a nanny word--

Phenolic plastic floral foam is carcinogenic, and florists are urged to only handle it wet to keep from breathing the dust. Sanding it dry like that would have gotten a look of horror from my florist mom, for what it's worth.

If you're gonna make more foam stuff, far better to use xps styro from somewhere like aircraft spruce, if you are using epoxy resin. If you are using polyesther resin, urethane foam.

Ok, captain safety signing off. Looks good btw--
ianmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 512
Nice work....

...On both the seat and the soda blasting of the engine and wheel hubs. I'll be following along, looks like a fun project. Nic to be able to start with one that runs well and isn't all rusty.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #21
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
...On both the seat and the soda blasting of the engine and wheel hubs. I'll be following along, looks like a fun project. Nic to be able to start with one that runs well and isn't all rusty.

roy
Thanks heaps Roy, I am having a lot of fun with this...I love learning new skills and building things. I'm peeping front guard and tank tomorrow :)

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmp View Post
Hey! I just saw this thread, I guess I'm a little late but I want to throw in a nanny word--

Phenolic plastic floral foam is carcinogenic, and florists are urged to only handle it wet to keep from breathing the dust. Sanding it dry like that would have gotten a look of horror from my florist mom, for what it's worth.

If you're gonna make more foam stuff, far better to use xps styro from somewhere like aircraft spruce, if you are using epoxy resin. If you are using polyesther resin, urethane foam.

Ok, captain safety signing off. Looks good btw--
Thanks for the heads up mate, I will definitely keep it in mind for the future. Reason i used it was because i saw a bunch of people on other forums using the same stuff ???? oh well....at least i know now

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

So all i had time to do on the weekend was sort out the tunnel in the tank - there was some surface rust that was caused by a faulty master brake cylinder squirting fluid over everything stripping the paint and da da..! RUST!

So i stripped it back, sanded, converted the rust, cleaned and primed it - looking a lot better now.

The next step this weekend is to do the whole tank, strip it back, smooth it out if required, prep and prime it - and the same for the front guard, sand it back, make sure all looks nice, prime and then i can look in to painting!

Obligatory picture included

Tank rust before some work:

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 512
Converted the rust....

What did you use for that step? something like naval jelly?

thx,

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #25
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemsmith View Post
What did you use for that step? something like naval jelly?

thx,

roy
Yea we have a product called "Septone Rust Converter" that i used...turned the "rust" black after the reaction took place.

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

hey guys -

did my tank last night, so i had the issue of paint that i wanted to strip, and a dent i needed to repair...

So this is my little dent, not big at all...probably the size of an aussie $1 :)

I stripped the paint back, filled and sanded the dent, and voilà, no more dent!

Here is the tank completely stripped and primed :)

Stoked how it came out....(although it couldnt be that hard right - but i still get excited)

I am going to buy my paints this week - I am using original BMW colours for the tins/guards etc

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #27
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

i was thinking of some colour schemes...thoughts on the below?

bright orange tank and seat cowl - the orange of the tank will be broken up by the black knee pads
black front and rear fearing's and bikini fairing
black frame and stock aluminium engine colour

thoughts?

I was going to do silver with blue stripes down the middle but got talked into looking at other suggestions - any advice guys?

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6

Hearse screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:01 PM
Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
bradluke0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Hi all ! That is very nice work you are doing there! My only BMW was called an R90S . I think it was 1976 or 1977 . It was a cafe racer looks to built on the same platform as you have . They made a black fade to silver and an orange fade to silver . You might want to find some pics ....might give you some other ideas for rear-sets and stuff .
bradluke0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Hey guys - so the big run up to paint day! well at least for the orange coloured parts!

So I high filled and sanded my tank, seat and light bucket with 800 grit - its all smooth like glass, absolutely LOVE IT. I'm going to paint all of these parts with the electric orange

The colour for reference:

The high filled parts:

Got myself a water filter and regulator for my compressor

All the tarps/cover alls/masks/gloves etc ready for the paint

and my spray gun! cost me $130 and is has the three different nozzles - feels like a real good quality one (from what i know) so i hope it will do the job!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
Hearse OP
Project n'gagi

Questions

Next step:

1) I am going to build a rear fender eliminator like Chris' (boxer metal) and build my battery tray/seat pan during the week out of alluminium
2) its a long weekend here in Aus this weekend, so I will get my spray on and paint my gear above
3) need to obtain some light bucket ears that have a gap in-between the tube mounts so I can fit some clip on's in there
4) i am also going to strip my wheels of their spokes and powder coat the rims black and re lace the wheels with some new shiny spokes

Questions:

1) which clip on's are the best? I believe i require 36mm
2) best way to paint my gear - how many layers of base and then clear? sand in between my base and laying the clear? sand 1200 grit after laying all clear? sand in between clear coats? I know the guy at the paint shop will give me a run down but i would like others advice as well

more pics as the week progresses

Cheers guys!

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6