Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 698
The seller said this was a WP 50mm extreme that came off a 525. He mentioned that these are forks that are used on various of late 90's KTM so..

I'll look up for seal that work with these forks. There is an authorized KTM dealer about 30 mins from me (Smithfield NC) but sad to say they doesnt carry inventory of bike or parts. They place order the parts you need and that's it. Another one about 2.5 hours drive is in Henderson, NC and they carry inventory on bike/parts. In this case, eBay is probably better..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
The seller MAY have taken them off of a 525, but they never came on a 525 stock. The 525 only came with WP inverted forks, not conventional forks.

The mid to late 90s saw KTM using both Marzocchi Magnums and WP Extremes and they are similar in style in the last 50mm incarnations of both of those brands.

The lowest casting for the front axle will usually have a WP cast into it or an M that is fat and in a circle I believe on the Marzocchis.

I am not an expert on the conventional forks so please verify what you can. I hope this at least gives you a direction to start in though.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Kellymac,

Your first guess of fork being Marzocchi Magnum could be correct because I went out to look at the fork and I see circle with weird 'M' letter inside it. I didn't bring my camera with me but it is raining outside right now. Is that what the logo is supposed to look like?? I see MCR suspension sticker so I will assume there is a possibility that it has MCR fork spring inside it?

If not sure on the logo or you don't have a pic, I will take pic tomorrow and post it here.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
xrscooterman
Smoke & Mirrors

Oddometer: 13
Tires and Wheels

Depending on how off-road you want to get, a 19" front wheel can work just fine. I had a DR 650 that I ran with a 17" rear and 19" front, and it did pretty well off road and was amazing on road. No doubt, for extreme off-road, a 21" front would be best. However, in most dual sport situations a 19" front can work well enough.
The other consideration is that there are plenty of stock 19" HD front wheels out there and you can have your choice of spoked or cast wheels.
The 16" rear wheel is a bit more of a problem in that there are not many off-road tires available for 16" rims. I have seen some Sportsters with Duro 16" dual-sport tires, and that seems like a good solution.
On my 96 Sportster I run a 19" front and 18" rear combo and that seems to work well. I ride the Sportster mostly on the street, with some light gravel roads, so I don't know how well it works in real off road situations, but it works real well on the street.
Only other thing I can tell you is that if you expect to ride in mud, only real knobby tires will work. Dual sport tires don't seem to provide much confidence in mud, especially, on the front end of the bike
Good luck with your project, I am looking forward to see where it ends up.
xrscooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,512
Those are WP "Extreme's"... used in 1999 and 2000.

Inmate konflictmotorsports provided me with some custom springs for the ones I have on my 1981 R80G/S..... typically they do require re-valving for heavier bikes to work, but if you need to shorten they it is an easy job.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

WAWC,
I have to agree with Solo and Drjoe that those are WP Extremes 50mm.

I have spent the last 2 days looking at hundreds of pictures of WP Xs and what few pics I could find of the last version of the Marzocchis and I am 90% sure that yours are the late 90s KTM WP Xs and not the Marzocchis I thought they might have been.

Just to clarify, I am by no means the only person who has confussed the 2. The last versions of the both of those brands look VERY similar and I found adds for both brands for sale that even the owners were not sure what they had. KTM did use BOTH brands in the late 90s...even over lapping years.

I would still take them into a good KTM dealership to make that last 10% confirmation when you have a chance.

Thanx to others for helping ID these.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #22
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

In case some of you guys know someone who is looking for a custom paint job to make his Pre-04 sportster looks good, I have a matching custom paint front/rear fenders and oil/fuel tanks for sale over at ADVrider Classified. Also posted over at XLForum as well. If one of you are H-D forum or V-Twins forum member, feel free to post link here or at XLforum.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Those are WP "Extreme's"... used in 1999 and 2000.

Inmate konflictmotorsports provided me with some custom springs for the ones I have on my 1981 R80G/S..... typically they do require re-valving for heavier bikes to work, but if you need to shorten they it is an easy job.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
WAWC,
I have to agree with Solo and Drjoe that those are WP Extremes 50mm.

I have spent the last 2 days looking at hundreds of pictures of WP Xs and what few pics I could find of the last version of the Marzocchis and I am 90% sure that yours are the late 90s KTM WP Xs and not the Marzocchis I thought they might have been.

Just to clarify, I am by no means the only person who has confussed the 2. The last versions of the both of those brands look VERY similar and I found adds for both brands for sale that even the owners were not sure what they had. KTM did use BOTH brands in the late 90s...even over lapping years.

I would still take them into a good KTM dealership to make that last 10% confirmation when you have a chance.

Thanx to others for helping ID these.
Thanks guys! The seller who sold me informed me that Marzocchi made WP Extreme for WP and he assured me that they are the same to just go with WP 50mm fork seals. And he advised me that if I google them up I would find the fact there. So I'll just go with WP Xtreme 50mm fork seals.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Thanks guys! The seller who sold me informed me that Marzocchi made WP Extreme for WP and he assured me that they are the same to just go with WP 50mm fork seals. And he advised me that if I google them up I would find the fact there. So I'll just go with WP Xtreme 50mm fork seals.
Had to laugh about Marzocchi making the WP's... really doubt that one. Having seen the insides of both up close, the zokes are a distance second to the WP's.

I have a set of the stock springs from my WP 50's that were off of a 640 Adventure (the heaviest KTM that used these), you should measure yours to determine what's in there.... If you want to try the 640 springs, I'll make you a deal.

The WP 50's were fitted to all KTM's in 1999 from 125cc's to the 640's and if yours are off of even the 640 I'd bet the springs are way to light for your use on the Harley.

Here's a bad pix of the 'zokes, very different from what you have there!

Quote:
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Had to laugh about Marzocchi making the WP's... really doubt that one. Having seen the insides of both up close, the zokes are a distance second to the WP's.

I have a set of the stock springs from my WP 50's that were off of a 640 Adventure (the heaviest KTM that used these), you should measure yours to determine what's in there.... If you want to try the 640 springs, I'll make you a deal.

The WP 50's were fitted to all KTM's in 1999 from 125cc's to the 640's and if yours are off of even the 640 I'd bet the springs are way to light for your use on the Harley.

Here's a bad pix of the 'zokes, very different from what you have there!

That's my thought exactly when I google and did not find a result so fuck it I said..

Thanks very much for pointing it out about the spring on forks.. to tell you the truth I was bit concerned about whether the fork was able to handle the weight and thought about getting a different spring and heavier fork oil? Any thought? I'll have a look at fork spring then let you know. Maybe we will work out a deal.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

I tried several different weights of fork oil with no good results... then changed the springs to custom heavier ones and ran through the oil exercise again...

if you want to optimize the forks for your weight bike, having the valving customized is pretty much mandatory.

You can just send 'em in to a good fork re-builder to have that done, shortened, re-sprung and re-sealed all at once

Quote:
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #27
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

You may already know this, but worth mentioning.

Fork oil will change the action of the forks, but valving is a better solution. However, both of those only affect the speed that the fork piston travels through the stroke, both up and down. That will never overcome too heavy or too soft of a spring for your weight.

Springs keep the bike in the correct part of the valving. The valving is in stages and too soft of a spring will put the forks in a later stage of valving and often make it feel harsh and bottom easier, mistakenly making you think it needs heavier oil or stiffer valving....usually that is in the springs. Too heavy of a spring makes the rebound feel harsh and chattering on the initial stroke of compression.

Getting the right spring rate first makes oil and/or valving MUCH simpler.

I think you can find fork springs for the WP X50s somewhere. Like said earlier, they came on 640s and many heavier riders with gear used them so someone made heavy duty spring rates....find some still may be hard. Not impossible.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Progress is moving slowly lately as I am having trouble with my back.. I know it is job-related but my supervisor and my boss doesn't think it is.. long story short, I gave up waiting on the decision from NC Insurance Committee or my work's Worker Man Comp insurance to make a decision and I went to see my doctor so now it has been past the point of being reasonable and try to work it out without legal battle. Not sure where this will go from here but at least my doctor and lawyer agreed with me based on the video I was shooting it is job-related. Will see what happen down the road.

Last week, I disconnected all the bolts and wires so the engine could be rocking (loose) and ready to be pulled out. And I set up the washing room removing all of my grandma junks then organized the room to work on the engine. Yesterday, my friends were kind enough to come over and helped me pull the engine out of frame and hauled it into the wash room. I didn't realize how heavy the engine really is! Yikes!

This week, plan to take top part of the engine apart. On lower part of the engine- replace the cam and inspect tranny plates, and replace chain shoe. Probably start the process of re-valve the KTM fork too.

More later.. just thought I would post a brief update on the progress real quick tonight.

WhicheverAnyWayCan screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 04:44 PM
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
WhicheverAnyWayCan OP
Deaf Biker

Oh yeah, left out one more part.. my friend who is now a welding teacher at school I went to made this for me.

I am in between on what length(height) of rear shocks I wanted to use.. 13" or 14" or 15"? Maybe 16" When I contacted Progressive Shocks and asked them that if I purchased their shocks and find it to be short/long or not satisfied, could I return it for exchange or refund? They said no! Works Performance said they would prefer to get the height of the shocks correct although they can adjust it.

So I thought maybe the simple and cheap solution of the problem would be to get my friend to make a bar and drill one hole at the bottom and drill few holes at top from 13", 14", 15", and 16". When I have time this week or weekend, I will mount rear tire back on and then put this bar on where the shocks are supposed to be to get the feeling which height I want to work with on my sportster so my feet doesn't stand up without heels on the ground when I am standing up. I am 5'11" tall so it is crucial to get right height for me.

And this will allow me to move my bike from small working space over to my dad's huge shop and get my motorcycle lifter assembled then I can lift the frame and begin the process of removing harley's fork.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

That is a good idea on the shock bars to test height. You can cycle the wheel and see what kind of belt or chain tension you may need with the raised ride height.

Yeah, I agree, I doubt any shock compant is gonna wanna trade out shocks if you get the wrong length.