Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #31
grindz145
Gangster.:D

Oddometer: 38
Hey man, Just happen to stumble over your thread. I actually have like 3 spare motors for my Nighthawk S I may very well have a spare shifter switch if you need one. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
04 ST1300 75k, 03 DR650(sold), 05 GT200, 85 CB700SC 60k(being rebuilt after hit and run), 74 CB360T, 76 XL100,81 XS650 (deceased), 80 Vespa SI(sold) ,100 Mile Range Cargo electric "sport touring" bicycle, 81 Puch Magnum(face-melting electric conversion), 80 Passport C70
grindz145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #32
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindz145 View Post
Hey man, Just happen to stumble over your thread. I actually have like 3 spare motors for my Nighthawk S I may very well have a spare shifter switch if you need one. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Thanks grindz! I'll keep you on speed dial. I'm currently awaiting my parts before digging further into the bike. Waiting on the carb "T" and the gear selector switch before starting on the forks.

Thanks for all the hints and offers everyone!
Merfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #33
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,308
I also had one, an 84 750. If you have the stock exhaust, keep it. The bike will run stronger, smoother, and sound way better with the stock set-up than anything else you could put on there. Also make a VERY close inspection of the intake manifolds. They will have dried, and potentially cracked given the age of the bike. Sucking in even a tiny bit of air will affect the bike's performance. I replaced mine twice.
To be honest, I never really cared for mine much. I didn't like the handling, I found it rather twitchy.16" wheels likely why. I had just come from a GPZ 750 which with it's taller wheels and longer wheelbase was a freight train in comparison. The Honda was smoother than the GPZ, which is really saying something. I also tried slightly lower handlebars getting more weight over the front which seemed to help a bit.
Don't buy cheap or shit tires. Grip is everything with this bike.
A well set-up, good running model, is about as maintenance free bike as you can get.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #34
jrswanson1
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've got an 85 version of your bike. I just ordered new clutch plates for her, since the ones in now are going. I hope you've changed the oil already, the valves use oil to maintain the proper gap. I really hate the gearing on these bikes. Who decided that it was okay to be in 4th gear at 30 mph? Anyway, check out the Nighthawk forum if you're looking for parts and answers on your bike. Good folks, very knowledgeable.
jrswanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #35
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Thanks everyone! I'm Merfman over on the nighthawk-forums as well. You're right, great bunch of guys over there! My intake boots are pretty hard but don't seem to have any cracks in them so I'll play that one by ear. I'm not keeping this bike as a daily commuter, I have a much-loved Super Tenere' for that, this bike is a winter project intended to gauge my skill, patience and interest in refurbishing neglected machinery. I intend to ride it for a while after I get it roadworthy and unless I fall in love, it'll be on the blocks in the Spring.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #36
Kriton
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Nighthawk owner

Hello, I just found your thread and am looking on in earnest. Many years ago I hit a deer with my Nighthawk ( and unlike others I did not cut the deer in half and keep going). I was wondering if you are going to change the cam timing or switch to a K&N filter with carb adjustments. I saw an old article somewhere on the internet that I can no longer find that described the whole process. I am intending to replace the head with an new one because of some broken fins. I've gotten to the point where the bike is actually referred to as a classic and it would be nice to get rid of the unsightly scars.

Good luck on the rebuild and I will be following
Kriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #37
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriton View Post
Hello, I just found your thread and am looking on in earnest. Many years ago I hit a deer with my Nighthawk ( and unlike others I did not cut the deer in half and keep going). I was wondering if you are going to change the cam timing or switch to a K&N filter with carb adjustments. I saw an old article somewhere on the internet that I can no longer find that described the whole process. I am intending to replace the head with an new one because of some broken fins. I've gotten to the point where the bike is actually referred to as a classic and it would be nice to get rid of the unsightly scars.

Good luck on the rebuild and I will be following
Hi Kriton! My bike came with a K&N filter and I think it had already been rejetted but I"m not sure. I still have the carbs off the bike so I need to check that... I had no plans to change the cam timing. I've started the bike and it seemed to run just fine so I'll be changing as little as possible!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
Kriton
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cool

Thanks, I was just curious. The bike is so old that, other than bringing things up to stock, I don't think I'd make any drastic changes. Here's the link though: http://www.goodtimershockey.ca/other...rNighthawk.pdf I finally found it. Makes for interesting reading
Kriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #39
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Conspiracy!

My parts came in last Thursday! There seems to be a conspiracy afoot however... the Broncos play today at 2:30 and it's 0 outside. I'm not sure my heaters can overcome the momentum of the cold and my desire to be couchbound while watching the game! Hopefully it'll warm up a little tomorrow and I can start reassembling some stuff...

Oh yea, SX live on Speed tonight. I'm not gonna get much done today....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #40
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Too many distractions of late but I did get my seat back. I couldn't resist a test fitting.

This weekends forecast looks good but maybe not good enough to go riding so maybe progress can be made once more.

Well, the forecast was good but unfortunately, I had to make time to attend a funeral 850 miles away. Perhaps this weekend...
The wintergreen I ordered came in and I'm picking up some Xylene locally so things *are* coming together, albeit very slowly.

Merfman screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 06:24 AM
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #41
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Movement

What a week. Got back from a long road trip and on Weds night, slipped and fell on the blacktop while plowing snow and concussed myself. Again. #8.

On Saturday, I had a chance to move parts around for a while. I started with replacing the fuel T on the carbs.

Once everything was put together, I checked to see if I had any leaks before installing he carbs.. no leaks! Yay!

I noticed the throttle was a little gritty so I pulled it apart and cleaned everything up.
Yea, it was a little gritty...

A couple minutes later after applying some 200 grit and Scotchbrite.

Before putting the carbs back on, I wanted to see if the gear selector switch was the problem with my lack of neutral light and indication on the gear readout. Using a DVM I found neutral on the switch, plugged it in and hit the ignition switch.
Sorry 'bout the crappy pic but at least it's clear the gear position says "N" - sweet!

It was about this time the concussion caught up with me and I needed a nap. ;)

SILTHW: If I have gas in any kind of open container, no matter how careful I am, I WILL spill it and smell like gas the entire day.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #42
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

I really haven't forgotten this bike, things have just been... let's use the word "hectic"

Quick update - I'd ordered some wintergreen and found some Xylene locally. Got a chance over the weekend to soak one of the intake boots for 10 hours in a 70/30 mix of Xyelene/wintergreen. I'm very pleased to say that the soaked bits are much more flexible than the non-soaked bits. I'll try to get some video up soon but first I have to take my lovely wife diving for a week. Be back around the first of March and hopefully I can get things moving along at a better clip...
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

I'm back! My beautiful wife and I took a mid-winter dive trip to Cozumel. Thought I'd share this vid:

Once we got back and I got the remnants of snow removed from around the house, I got re-started on the Nighthawk.
When I pulled the carbs apart, all the rubber was stiff and hard to move. I pulled the airbox apart in order to wrestle the carbs out and all the plastic was misshapen and stiff. I knew this was going to be a problem at reassembly. I'd been reading on the Nighthawk forums about varying success with Wintergreen and rubber renewal. Some were boiling the parts in wintergreen but the technique I decided to go with involved 70% Xylene and 30% Wintergreen and the Pickle Jar of Renewal (tm) :

I soaked one of the intake boots for 12 hours, the results were nothing short of amazing IMHO. I soaked the other intake boot for 12 hours, then removed the short boots and soaked them all for 12 hours. I'm soooo glad I did this, it was easy enough that I was able to assemble/reassemble the carbs/boots about 5 times before finally remembering every detail.
I'm amazed at how much difference this made in the flexibility. This is well worth the time for anyone dealing with stiff rubbers... just sayin. ;)

With the boots renewed, I got the carbs all mounted up and the airbox snapped back together:

That done, next up was the gear selector switch and oil sender connection. After trying to eyeball the slot and sensor for 45 minutes, I decided to just hook up the battery, temporarily attach the shifter and turn the switch until the neutral light came one. Put the bike on the centerstand and shifted the tranny in to neutral. Everything just snapped together after that... duh.

Done, and replaced the clumsy phillips head screws with allens:

Moving on, I replaced all the rusty allens in the various covers with new hardware:

Ugly:

Purty:

Next up was to replace the tank, new fuel line and recovered seat:

I shined up all the little cosmetic pieces and reassembled everything. Improving...

Once I got everything put back together, I turned on the gas, hit the choke, held my breath
and thumbed the start button... turned over about 7 times before it came back to life! Idles
nicely albeit a little cold-blooded. No stutters, no misses, nothing.

SILTHW - Assemble the airbox BEFORE seating the carbs.
SILTHW - Pay attention/double-check throttle/choke cable routing.

Next up is to get some tires, replace the plugs, and get the fork seals replaced...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #44
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
Next up was to replace the tank, new fuel line and recovered seat:
I want to give a shout-out to our very own Vermin who now resides here in Colorado Springs. He has a new company called Nomad Trim (719-232-0947) and did an excellent job on the seat! He has some ideas for next time seats after seeing how this one fits on the bike. Give him a call for all your trim needs. You'll get excellent work and maybe, just maybe, a story or two...

Merfman screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:27 AM
Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 AM   #45
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

My tires came in yesterday and snow is in the forecast... soooo.... I'll be pulling wheels for re-tread and forks for re-seal. I plan on a thorough inspection of everything obvious, any non-obvious type stuff I should inspect/clean/replace?