ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 260
Spot

Looks workable.

Re your handlebar mounted SPOT, I've seen comments before and wonder your take...shouldn't the SPOT be in your pocket? It's for you - not the bike...what if you have a serious off and can't get to the SPOT to request aid?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Looks workable.

Re your handlebar mounted SPOT, I've seen comments before and wonder your take...shouldn't the SPOT be in your pocket? It's for you - not the bike...what if you have a serious off and can't get to the SPOT to request aid?
I think there is a raging debate running on this issue somewhere here in advrider. I take the view that the SPOT gets good satellite coverage mounted there, I can see it, and if I do come off so badly that I can't crawl back to my bike, than I am unlikely to be compos mentis enough to activate one in my pocket anyway.

I guess you could envisage any crash scenario, even one where a bike mounted one would work while a pocket mounted one wouldn't, and vice versa.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,130
Sy,

I have now broken two Garmin GPS' and the thought of throwing out anther couple hundred on a small screen kinda bugs me. I like your set up- but I still have some questions

- heat and direct sun- how much does this affect your ability to have the GPS running while you are riding and even being able to see the screen.

- Have you considered a RAM mount with a waterproof case around the tablet mounted so that glare would not be an issue?

- Vibration- It killed two of my GPS' and a tablet is not even made to handle that level of vibration, in your tank bag I think it isolates the tablet from the vibration- but do you think it might break/breakdown if subjected to vibrations over a long trip?

The reason I am asking all of these questions is I think you have something here. I have an Ipad mini and an iPhone. I plan on bringing both of these on my travels when I go multi day, I also had planned on bringing a GPS- but If I could eliminate that device I would- IF THE TABLET OR THE PHONE could get the job done.

Thanks for posting and in advance for any questions you can answer.

and yes there is a raging debate about the SPOT on the bike versus on you somewhere.........

BH
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly View Post
Sy,

I have now broken two Garmin GPS' and the thought of throwing out anther couple hundred on a small screen kinda bugs me. I like your set up- but I still have some questions

- heat and direct sun- how much does this affect your ability to have the GPS running while you are riding and even being able to see the screen.

- Have you considered a RAM mount with a waterproof case around the tablet mounted so that glare would not be an issue?

- Vibration- It killed two of my GPS' and a tablet is not even made to handle that level of vibration, in your tank bag I think it isolates the tablet from the vibration- but do you think it might break/breakdown if subjected to vibrations over a long trip?

The reason I am asking all of these questions is I think you have something here. I have an Ipad mini and an iPhone. I plan on bringing both of these on my travels when I go multi day, I also had planned on bringing a GPS- but If I could eliminate that device I would- IF THE TABLET OR THE PHONE could get the job done.

Thanks for posting and in advance for any questions you can answer.

and yes there is a raging debate about the SPOT on the bike versus on you somewhere.........

BH
1. heat and sun - good question, this particular tablet is untried and unproven, however, I did use the same bag and setup for my previous 5 inch PDA based GPS (my $800 dirt-nap) and had no problems and that was in warmish temps (ambient 25'C) whilst travelling across the central Australian outback and had no problems.

2. RAM mounts and water proof boxes - see above answer! The reason I ended up with my previous GPS in my tank bag map pocket was while mounted up against the windscreen in a box on a RAM mount, the damn thing near shook itself to pieces whilst on the above trip, hence the transfer while on-route to the map pocket of my tank bag. A moment of genius borne out of desperation. I had a water proof soft box mounted via a short arm RAM mount to a Touratech GPS mount fitted to the dash board of my KTM 990. Needless to say the thing shook so much I couldn't read it anyway. The cheap (ebay special) box fell apart on the second day of the trip! and the GPS itself threatened to shake itself to pieces. Once transferred to the tank bag no further issues (note to self - test setups thoroughly before setting off on a big trip).

3. vibration - no problems whatsoever in the tank-bag - lots of problems while on a GPS mount. One issue I had with my PDA based GPS was that the side mounted micro USB power charger on a landscape GPS unit was pushed hard up against the side of the map pocket and the bumps and vibration destroyed 3 of these during the course of the trip. The Nexus has a bottom mounted USB charging port and I have purchased right-angled micro USB cables which don't stick out of the tablet as much and look more robust, but will keep a few spares with me.

One other point is that these tablets (the iPad included) need 2 amp USB power so make sure you have one of these - easy to find dual 1 and 2 amp cig light to USB chargers on ebay).

syzygy9 screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 04:39 AM Reason: spleling
syzygy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Really interesting idea. What program are you using, the one that is visible on the unit in the tank bag?

Is tracking based off of cell phone signal, or GPS? If I wanted to use google earth with it, couldn't I just plan out a route, on my mac or pc, email it to myself, then open it up in google earth on the tablet and be off and running? Seems way easier to me than basecamp, 20 track limits, etc. etc. that I had with my 60csx that I broke in half last weekend.
S H I F T Y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S H I F T Y View Post
Really interesting idea. What program are you using, the one that is visible on the unit in the tank bag?

Is tracking based off of cell phone signal, or GPS? If I wanted to use google earth with it, couldn't I just plan out a route, on my mac or pc, email it to myself, then open it up in google earth on the tablet and be off and running? Seems way easier to me than basecamp, 20 track limits, etc. etc. that I had with my 60csx that I broke in half last weekend.
Just saw you are using OziExplorer. Wonder if there is an equivalent in the US.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
This entire concept has tremendous potential. I'm getting sick of small-screened overpriced GPS units. Properly set up I think a small tablet w a built in GPS may be a superior and less expensive alternative to Garmin's stranglehold on the genre. Obviously allowances have to be made for vibrations, water and other vulnerabilities, but a little resourcefulness may do the trick. And you may not have to keep shelling out for map updates.......

Watching this thread with great interest.....
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwardbound View Post
This entire concept has tremendous potential. I'm getting sick of small-screened overpriced GPS units. Properly set up I think a small tablet w a built in GPS may be a superior and less expensive alternative to Garmin's stranglehold on the genre. Obviously allowances have to be made for vibrations, water and other vulnerabilities, but a little resourcefulness may do the trick. And you may not have to keep shelling out for map updates.......

Watching this thread with great interest.....

Perfectly put.

I just made a quick track on google earth, emailed it to myself, then opened it up on my iphone in the google earth app. It tracked perfectly, just as quickly as my 60csx. Of course, I'm in my neighborhood and not out in the sticks. I have a cheapo ZTE tablet that I will try it on as well.

Two things, I had my 60csx set up so it adjusted the screen orientation to the direction I was heading... my iphone doesn't; at least not as far as I can figure out. And as far as I can tell the tablet hasn't tracked my movements, it just shows the same location as my start point. But, if I can figure out if the new ipad mini has GPS capabilities so that I don't have to rely on cell signal; well, I'll fuckin' pick one up tomorrow. Now that would be bad ass to have in my giant loop tank bag map pocket.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #24
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I posted this in another GPS thread, but the content is relevant here as well. Liquipel is a company that uses nanotech vaporization to "watersafe" your phone or tablet. I saw their display at the Consumer Electronics Show last January and it really works well. They had an iPhone in the "on" state sitting in a little waterfall as part of their display.

This technology would work really well on your tablet to allow you to put it on a RAM mount. Unfortunately this doesn't address the tablet's vulnerability to crashes. You would need a robust case for that.
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S H I F T Y View Post

Hi Shifty,

I am using OziExplorer for Android (in Beta at the moment) and use the maps Australia 1:250k topo and Hema offroad topo maps. These came with my previous ($800! dirt nap) Hema PDA (windows CE) based GPS unit which ran OziExplorer as the '4wd' part of its functionality. All maps are offline/stored locally on the tablet. The tablet has a conventional GPS receiver and uses WiFi assisted GPS (aGPS) when it has a signal to help speed up the fix. Very effective GPS unit!

Very happy with OziExplorer Android even in Beta it seems fairly reliable. I especially like the fact that you can design 'screens' so I have one set up with map at the top and whole load of stats on the bottom half of the screen (avg speed, two resettable odometers, sunrise and sunset times, compass, distances and eta to next waypoint).
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #26
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Next time I'm in Beijing I'll get a cheap android based tablet w a built in gps: stick a large capacity card in it, and have a go at this thing. If I ruin it I won't be as distraught if it's cheap....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Doing a bit more research, I came across Easy Map for Bikers (EMFB), an Android app which seems to fit the use of a tablet for navigation. Many have also heard of the Dual Sport Maps app as well. The more I look into it, the more plausible this becomes.

Somebody hold my wallet.......and don't give it back to me no matter how much I plead.....

EMFB thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776464
Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
usagi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
On the software side, I've been using BackCountry Navigator for a couple years and love it. Though it does take a bit more computer savvy and set up time, it is absolutely great for offroad riding with the right prep. Unfortunately, that prep requires finding a source for Google Maps which is.... frowned upon, since it is stored on the device. But there are free OpenMaps alternatives.

I have been using an old Nexus1 as my offroad gps device for a while now, and thinking about upgrading to a 7 incher as well. It seems that the Kindle Fire HD is the best bet. They are said to have bright screens and they have been polarized for easier sunlight visibility. A Fire HD, Liquipel coating, Otterbox, and anti-glare screen protector sounds like just the ticket. My main issue is mounting. I mostly need it for singletrack, so it needs to be solid while reducing vibrations from the 2-stroke (not to mention roots and rocks). Any ideas?
usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 AM   #29
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Map pocket of tank bag, forget about hard mounting something so big and heavy on a dirt bike, it will vibrate itself to pieces.

syzygy9 screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 06:48 PM
syzygy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #30
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi View Post
On the software side, I've been using BackCountry Navigator for a couple years and love it. Though it does take a bit more computer savvy and set up time, it is absolutely great for offroad riding with the right prep. Unfortunately, that prep requires finding a source for Google Maps which is.... frowned upon, since it is stored on the device. But there are free OpenMaps alternatives.

I have been using an old Nexus1 as my offroad gps device for a while now, and thinking about upgrading to a 7 incher as well. It seems that the Kindle Fire HD is the best bet. They are said to have bright screens and they have been polarized for easier sunlight visibility. A Fire HD, Liquipel coating, Otterbox, and anti-glare screen protector sounds like just the ticket. My main issue is mounting. I mostly need it for singletrack, so it needs to be solid while reducing vibrations from the 2-stroke (not to mention roots and rocks). Any ideas?

the fire has a GPS?