Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #31
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,479
yah she should be able to . At worse you ll have to shave the seat an little bit . Done right all you need is a bread knife and a staple gun to put it back to gather.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #32
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,592
The motor lies flat, and the gas tank is in the floor, so the the helix carries most of its weight below the rider's knees. Shouldn't be any trouble for her to keep upright even if she can only get one foot down.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #33
Burgmanite
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Mine is a 1987 Honda Helix, and my friend's is a 2006 but they look alike very much. This has been such a great scooter that Honda has not changed the main design too much. It is an awesome scooter for the money, very confortable, reliable, easy to maintain, and great on gas.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
Realbtl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
The Helix is a good around town grocery getter and a great back roads tourer. I love parking mine next to the big full boat tourers and thinking "Hmm, 1/15th the price of that one, wow 1/30th of that one and we're all here at the same place." Mine is an 86 that I paid $1k for 2 years ago with 12k miles.

My $25 fix for a sore back was a cheap 1"sleeping pad rolled up in a cheap stuff sack and strapped to the passenger seat. I cut it long-wise to give me support when seated. Works like a charm.

You won't be disappointed.
Realbtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #35
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hi. A friend owns a Helix. She is about 5-2 or so and just turned 70...been riding all her adult life and has owned many motorcycles and ridden many places. For economic reasons, she left motorcycling a few years ago, and when she got back into it, she got the Helix because she could afford it.

She rides with our church crew and we go many places around here, including twisty backroads, good and poor two lane roads, state highways and freeways. Her Helix evidently handles quite well and has enough power for her to stay with us at 70+ on the freeways, as she has no troubles keeping up. The storage is very good.

I should say that I have done a test-sit on her Helix and it doesn't fit me at all...but then, I'm not a small guy. My friend loves her Helix, although she sometimes thinks about getting something a bit bigger. Meantime, the Helix serves her well and at pretty low cost to boot...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #36
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,633
I wish Honda would bring back the Helix (hey, the Rebel 250 is still here) and price it according to what it is actually worth, considering most of the R&D and tooling were paid for back in the '80s.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I'm still searching the craigs lists in my area for a late model helix. I'm hoping to find one by the spring.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #38
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I have put 8000 miles on my cf moto helix clone and have loved every minute. very reliable and easy to wrench if need be ( I rebuilt a craigslist clone find and put 1000mi before selling to my brother in law)
I use this bike as an example of great engineering. I think it came out to n 86 and the engine didn't change till Honda discontinued it in the 2000 s. Supposedly they tried to bring it back and couldn't BC cfmoto holds the rights to it now and won a lawsuit that stopped Hondas resurrection after one production year.

BTW I got mine w/ 700 mi on it when my dad stepped up from it to a swing. This bike is capable of everything, but the tradeoff is that it is not perfect for anything. Handles two up riding on highway but tops out around 75 mph, is also low and large compared to a 150 for zipping around on errands. Mpg usually in the 70s, but tires are small and only go about 5k miles
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #39
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
The Honda Helix is a fine ride.

I started my golden years by buying a Honda Helix and joining a gang, the Gem City Roller Scooter Club. I put 11,000 miles on the Helix. Before moving up to a Silver Wing. I had a great time on my Helix but the Silver Wing picks up where the Helix fell short, In power and speed. I always wanted more speed when I was on the freeway. My little Helix was a friend maker at gas stops much more so then my Silver Wing
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I just found a cherry helix. I was on a road trip from Charleston to Miami on my VStrom on the way back I stayed at Fort Clinch State Park. Just by chance I decided to check out the beachside camping loop... And what do I see but a 07 helix for sale. It's for 6608 miles on it and a top case over all the condition is great. I just got in the door and I spent the past 4 hours riding from Jacksonville thinking about the bike the entire time.

Well I've convinced myself to buy it. I just have a few questions first. Are helix parts still easy to get? How is it to work on? Pretty easy? Any known issues I should check on? Any advice or thoughts?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #41
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
OEM parts and Service plentiful, a comfortable, solid, and reliable Scooter. Simple to understand and easy to maintain. Low stress engine and drivetrain similar to other Honda 250cc (Elite 250, Reflex, Big Ruckus)Scooters. They don't break often if properly ridden and maintained. Exhaust systems will wear out over a long period of miles/time.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #42
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,479
Helix will never run out of parts after 25 years of production. Still going to be new parts oem and clones for years to come. A 07 should go for 2 grand or so depending .
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Here's some motivation for you:

Miss Donna and her Helix, circumnavigation of Sutter Buttes:

Miss Donna and her Helix, mountain jam to LaPorte:

The Helix is a ridin' machine, not a spit-and-polish machine...'nuf said...
Old 05-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 403
I had a 2001 Helix for eight years. Just traded it in on a 650 Burgman Executive a couple of weeks ago. I rode that Helix all over the southeast US and loved it. It can do US highways with no strain, you just need to remember that the Helix is no interstate blaster. Yes, it can get on the interstate but you need to remember that it will be blown around by semi's and that it will be running wide open on the interstate. Mine would do 74 (gps verified) on the flat with no wind but even a gradual rise would drop it down into the 60's. Add a headwind and you are down into the 50's. Of course, I do weigh 256 pounds, that may have had some effect on the speeds...

I traded it because I wanted a fuel injected bike that would pull my wife and I two up with her comfortable on the back. I researched this problem for over two years before buying the 650 Burgman and letting go of the Helix. I guess I could have kept the Helix but I already have a Wee-Strom and didn't want to add another bike to keep up to my stable. I work on my own bikes and enjoy riding more than I enjoy wrenching.

Last I checked, my Helix is at Lost River Motorsports in Bowling Green, KY (Google them for their phone number). I don't know what they are asking for it as I figure that is not really any of my business. If you are interested in it I will answer questions, just PM me.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #45
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Hey Dom...I know you're in South Carolina, but for those in CA, here's an almost new '07 Helix at the BMW dealer in Modesto:

http://www.cyclespecialties.com/2007...MF02037K000402

Sorry...just setting the hook...