Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
khale OP
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
TET trip, need GPS advice

Hey guys,
Me and some buddies are about to do our first off-road weekend dual sport trip in the North Georgia mountains. We plan on taking forest service roads and other fun dirt tracks, trying to stay away from tarmac as much as possible. We have 2 guys that are going to follow us in a chase truck for supplies (mainly beer and wood).
I'm currently riding a 2011 Husky TE310 and need to figure out my navigation system. Obviously, I'll have a paper map of where we are traveling as a back up, but what do you guys recommend as far as GPS? Is there a specific GPS you would recommend? What about a scroll chart?
Any other advice for us since this is our first weekend doing a dual sport trip? I'm not a beginner rider by any means, I know how to ride dirt, just haven't done a trip on my 310.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
John65
D Ol Man

Oddometer: 1,387
IMHO
It depends on how much you want to spend on it. From what I've read, the Garmin 'Montana' is a really good one.
It has a large screen so it's easy to see without taking your eyes off the road too long.

However, even with it's shortcomings, since I can't spend that much, I use a Nuvi 500 and have found a way 'round most of those shortcomings. The biggest problem I've had with it is 're-routing', so i take the track I want to ride, convert it to an 'overlay map' and load into the navigator. This way, my route's always there and I can tell that the dam thing's re-routed.

If my wife ever upgrades my allowance, I'd like to get a Montana
TET Florida Section
TET Georgia Section
John65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
X2 on the Montana. But many other Garmin models will work fine - you just won't have that big beautiful screen.

Then, load Garmin Basecamp (a free download) onto your computer and a topo map of the area you want to ride. You can buy the Garmin 24k maps or download free ones from gpsfiledepot.com or other sources - search around on this site to see what others have been using. You no doubt already have a pretty good idea of the roads/trails you want to take if you have paper maps of the region. Using Basecamp, draw a track on the map on the computer following the roads/trails you want to ride and then load that track onto the GPS unit. I like to use a bright, contrasty magenta or red line for the track. Then as you ride, the map with your track and your bike on it will scroll with you as you move; as long as you stay on the track you can't go wrong. There are lots of helpful links on this site to the Garmin WIKIs that will explain how to install maps on your GPS and how to use Basecamp.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote