Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
I just got mine running(it had been sitting for years) and am looking forward to riding it.

Not sure if I'm a scooter guy or not, but I'll know soon.
Richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy View Post
I just got mine running(it had been sitting for years) and am looking forward to riding it.

Upjet Carburetor, change to lighter Rollers/Sliders, and replace the OEM Rear Shock with a YSS, Bitubo, or Ohlins, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #18
arekay34
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Upjet Carburetor, change to lighter Rollers/Sliders, and replace the OEM Rear Shock with a YSS, Bitubo, or Ohlins, and you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
If you look up http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=138416 you'll find someone who's a master of the BR250 very helpful as to what changes can be made to make the BR the beast it was really meant to be.
arekay34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
I like mine but it is my around town errand runner. Did 1300km trip to ride it home, 99% highway. Looks odd but so am I.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Suits you perfect Murph. Btw, happy new year

Sent from my totally awesome galaxy note! Over tapatalk2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Put 150 or so miles on it, don't think it's for me.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #22
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreNCSU View Post
Don't be dissuaded so easily. The Big Ruckus is a fantastic adventure touring bike; any of the shortcomings can be easily overcome through OEM or aftermarket solutions. Take my 2005 for example:

The OEM shock is a bit stiff, got a YSS one and be done with it ($219). Kuryakyn rear bag was $100 off eBay. Memphis Shades Hellcat windshield is fantastic ($130). I was lucky to have OEM legshields come with the bike, but there are aftermarket solutions. I even have side racks installed ($275) that have at least doubled my capacity. It's a perfect backroads touring bike, particularly here in the Midwest, where we have plenty of lightly traveled rural roads.

I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs, it handles fine for me. A fur seat and beads make the ride perfect, and there are plenty of tire options available for all sort of riding styles. Be sure to check out TotalRuckus.com and look at the topics in the Big Ruckus section. There's a reason why enthusiasts are fiercely loyal to this bike, and with a small amount of adaptation, it can overcome any shortcomings mentioned in this thread.
Thats way cool! Proof positive that scooters can go long and hard!
Well done.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
SpectreNCSU
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks, I just think that the one poster's comments were a bit unrepresentative of what I (and other long term owners) know the bike to be. When I see BRs for sale on EBay, they are usually bone stock and low miles. They were bought by someone who is generally indifferent to riding. I've rarely found an outfitted one for sale. Once people put a little effort into outfitting them for adventure touring, they don't let them go. I currently own 8 scoots, and I can say that this is the only bike I'll never sell. They are the Land Rover Defender 90 of scooters; increasingly rare, tough, and friggin' cool. I'm thinking about someday doing the Scooter Cannonball on one.

SpectreNCSU screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 10:41 PM
SpectreNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #24
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Let me say this at the outset , as long as I am able to ride I will own a Big Ruckus . It is my go to daily driver in warm weather , in cooler weather I ride my 2009 Tmax . When I first bought my first BR , I was pissed at Honda for doing such a piss poor job on what I believe is their best scooter concept ever . Once I learned how to fix all those shortfalls , I was even more pissed when I found out what those fixes would cost . Once I re-jetted , replaced the air filter and put the proper amount of oil in it then installed a Jcosta and a Bitibo rear shock , I was a happy camper . Was it worth the trouble and expense ? HELL YES , IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY ! Are Big Ruckus scooters over priced ? ABSOLUTELY NOT ! Top dollar in Japan today is $13,380 dollars U.S. . Once I got my first one running right , without fail every time I drove it I would think to myself , ď I should pick up another one of these just to be safe ď . I thought I would be mighty disappointed if mine was stolen or totaled some how .

See prices in Japan here http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorc...0/summary.html

To date I have owned 15 BRís , Iíve sold 8 and have 7 . I was able to buy a bunch of them when the economy turned bad in 2008 / 2009 at really low prices . Back then I bought every low mileage one within 500 miles of me that was available . I wish now I would have bought more back then , but then again I did get 15 of them . I knew back then that with such a small production run on the BR they were likely to go up in price . A BR owner who has made the necessary modifications to his BR , is more likely looking for BR #2 then selling #1 . I hear people say I bought some other 250cc scooter for a lot less , IMHO they are comparing apples to oranges . IMO there is nothing to compare the BR to , itís unique . The BR has a real very substantial frame that will out last any plastic scooter . It has a very low center of gravity and wide tires that make it rock solid on the road . Itís freeway capable but IMO barely , that said a lot of people drive them on the freeway . Personally I donít like driving any bike on the freeways , that said I do occasionally on my Tmax . Are there cheaper scooters out there ? YUP ! Are there scooters out there that get better gas mileage ? YUP ! Is there a better overall 250cc scooter out there ? NOPE ! Not IMO . If I were in charge at Honda I would build a 400cc Big Ruckus , and at least a 600cc Big Ruckus .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
rv-rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Put 150 or so miles on it, don't think it's for me.
OK. So, how many offers have you had so far?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #26
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by T

See prices in Japan here [URL
http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorcycle/bike/honda__ps250/summary.html[/URL]

? YUP ! Are there scooters out there that get better gas mileage ? YUP ! Is there a better overall 250cc scooter out there ? NOPE ! Not IMO . If I were in charge at Honda I would build a 400cc Big Ruckus , and at least a 600cc Big Ruckus .

TheReaper!

I ll almost agree with you but for back roads that aren't gravel the helix is the way to go. Follow by what we both used to ride the ch250 elite . Consider pricing in Japan is far higher for most things then here I do wonder if the price is a reflection of japan everyday scooter and bike cost. The big Ruckus is going to be worth the cash as classic in 5 to 10 years. Theres no much modern stuff out there that could be compared to 1950 design heyday of cool looking scooters. I ve thought of buying one but in the end that 2 grand more is another 40 days of touring . If I wasn't disable and on a limited income like back when i drove semi I buy one in a heart beat. Even came close when the last new one show up a honda dealer last summer and yes it was gone in less then 10 days. 5500 out the door. Last new one that more then likely a dealer ever going to sell of them. Then again you do not know whats out there. I know of a new old stock 1999 royal enfield . Seen other brands etc to.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #27
Richy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv-rick View Post
OK. So, how many offers have you had so far?
None.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #28
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Big Ruckus Thank Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post
Let me say this at the outset , as long as I am able to ride I will own a Big Ruckus . It is my go to daily driver in warm weather , in cooler weather I ride my 2009 Tmax . When I first bought my first BR , I was pissed at Honda for doing such a piss poor job on what I believe is their best scooter concept ever . Once I learned how to fix all those shortfalls , I was even more pissed when I found out what those fixes would cost . Once I re-jetted , replaced the air filter and put the proper amount of oil in it then installed a Jcosta and a Bitibo rear shock , I was a happy camper . Was it worth the trouble and expense ? HELL YES , IT WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY ! Are Big Ruckus scooters over priced ? ABSOLUTELY NOT ! T .

TheReaper!
I've felt frustrated with mine. Less than 300 miles yet seams so sluggish that I thought it was really a dud. Was just going to sell it this year. After reading this link I think there might be hope. I know it really hasn't been broken in at such low mileage but it is like torture riding it around my area. Cars Fast, Ruckus Slow. What a grand thing it would be to ride downtown with out worrying about getting out of someone's way or not being able to move fast enough.

Ordered parts, looking forward to see the difference.
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #29
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
CVT tuning does wonders..

I can outrun stock 500cc scoots with my 300cc scoot, and I've only
tuned the CVT.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote