Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 AM   #16
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
On the bike ?. Where it's actually useful ?.

I got a cheap and very small eBay meter, checked that it worked then filled the innards up with hot-melt glue. It weighs quite a lot more now , but it's been reliable and available since it lives on the bike.

For general use a second hand Fluke or a series of chinese meters would be my choice, probably about the same cost over ten years. Sorry, but for anything I do 1% accuracy is fine.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
The only reason I have 3 Fluke meters is because I used them all day every day at work. For working on the bikes a HF meter works just fine. Consider going with the HF meter and taking the wife out to dinner, it may work out better in the long run.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,569
for a bike the harbor freight is fine. They will last many years, and when they don't, get another. You will spend more on batteries and possibly fuses.

That said a cheap needle meter is often more useful. They usually draw more current, which is better for much troubleshooting, and you can see a needle wiggle when moving a harness that can often be missed on a digital meter.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #19
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Fluke. Ive got a 73 III for my garage and home troubleshooting, it sips its battery - I've replaced it twice in 10 years. If youre handy with a soldering iron, the test lead possibilities are enormous. I carry a small Extech in the bike's toolkit, its a fraction the size of the fluke and is perfectly capable of doing wire checks and voltage tests.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
raypitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
It all depends on what you want to spend. You can't go wrong with Amprobe, Extech or Fluke, any of which will cost you about $200.00 for the least expensive and probably won't have a temperature measurement. You can handle that two ways: buy the temp. probe accessory or a stand alone non-contact infrared thermometer for about $80.
raypitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #21
SPEIRMOOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Fluke T5-600 about $90. I've had this one since I was an apprentice. Great piece. Automatically switches from AC to DC which is its greatest advantage. One probe can be attached to meter case allowing for instant reading in your hand instead of looking at the meter on the floor all the time. Probes store in its housing too.

SPEIRMOOR screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 07:13 AM
SPEIRMOOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #22
wee-twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Motorradreiter View Post
Saw a NIB Model 78 up there for $99 "buy it now" - told my wife about it and she voiced displeasure so I may need to come down to $50.
I did some reading on that model and it looks right up my alley.
What's the difference between the 77 and 78?

Also, any thoughts on this one?: http://www.amazon.com/Sinometer-Manu...pr_product_top
I don't know the difference between the 77 and 78, but here is my 77. Genuine Fluke leads are more flexible than the less expensive(Chinese) ones. I also use a clip on the end of the probe sometimes and again the fluke ones are better than a set I tried from RadioShack. I hold the manual, clips,leads and a jumper wire in a large Altoids tin so everything stays together and undamaged in my toolbox. I would go with a used Fluke over a new Chinese meter. I justify good tools by there is a job to get done and you need them to work or you end up paying someone else to do it. For less than one hour what a shop would charge to figure out an electrical problem you can get a used Fluke that you will pass onto your kids someday. I have used my fluke on 110v, I would not trust my life with a Chinese meter.

wee-twin screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 06:24 AM
wee-twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
das Motorradreiter OP
Diehard Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
Does she wear $50 shoes? Ask her how much she spent on hair and nails in the last month.
I cannot complain there - she had to buy shoes for a wedding last month - with the sale and coupon, she paid $9.00 for the pair!
das Motorradreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,192
If you have a Radio Shack nearby, that's another brick and motor source . . . .

I have a 10 dollar Radio Shack meter (likely chicom) in my tank bag, and an old fluke in the roll cab out in the Entropy Lab . . . . . the Chcicom meeter is good enough for 99% of what I do (is there more or less 12 volts present? Is there 0 ohm resistance, or higher), but the Fluke makes me smile to use it -- it's a nice tool.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
das Motorradreiter OP
Diehard Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by wee-twin View Post
I don't know the difference between the 77 and 78, but here is my 77. Genuine Fluke leads are more flexible than the less expensive(Chinese) ones. I also use a clip on the end of the probe sometimes and again the fluke ones are better than a set I tried from RadioShack. I hold the manual, clips,leads and a jumper wire in a large Altoids tin so everything stays together and undamaged in my toolbox. I would go with a used Fluke over a new Chinese meter. I justify good tools by there is a job to get done and you need them to work or you end up paying someone else to do it. For less than one hour what a shop would charge to figure out an electrical problem you can get a used Fluke that you will pass onto your kids someday. I have used my fluke on 110v, I would not trust my life with a Chinese meter.
Would $50 for a 77 be decent? I found one a little bit of a drive from me.
das Motorradreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
Superfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I've had a Fluke 87 for about 20 years. The only time I ever had a problem with it was the time (brain fart) that I decided to hook it to my electric horse fence. After I got it back from fluke it worked fine again. Also have a cheep one on the bike.

1983 V65 Magna
1984 700cc Magna
1982 V45 Sabre (Project)
Superfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
I cannot complain there - she had to buy shoes for a wedding last month - with the sale and coupon, she paid $9.00 for the pair!
With you on that. My wife is the same way. Considering she got her wedding dress for $300. Yeah, I did well.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #28
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Quote:
Would $50 for a 77 be decent? I found one a little bit of a drive from me.
If you don't buy it, I will! Yes, $50 for a 77 is quite acceptable.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,113
Fluke 87v user.. Love it but it is overkill for home and bike.

But yes the fluke leads really make a cheap multimeter useable.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
bike mags often have coupons to get the HF one for free. can't really beat that.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote