Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #4261
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Let's not drag this into yet another KLR vs DR debacle.

996DL
Not my intention at all. I just could not think of a modern 1200cc adventure bike that does not have EFI.

EFI, ABS, ETC, are all going to be more prevalent as we move forward. If you are looking for a carbed bike, without electronic braking, engine, or suspension management, the list is going to be pretty small.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #4262
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,152
Just a "tongue in cheeky" jab, intended to keep the proceedings light hearted.

Dielectic grease and a surgeon's caution at the pressure carwash,
is certainly becoming even more important, than ever before.

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #4263
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
Has anybody yanked one of these things apart yet? I am wondering how hard it is for a regular guy to perform an annual oil change in one, (like I can with all of the other re-buildable shocks...) Or is this something that has to be sent off to "The factory" for servicing?
Go check out Dr Greg's posting on Ducati.ms re. his experience with self-servicing his MTS12. He's an experienced Ducati wrench (i.e. he's done Desmo valves on his other Ducs before) and even he threw in the towel. Oil change? Easy peasy. Valve check/adjust? Read Doc's story.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #4264
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
gplasm, the new KTM ADV doesn't do it for you? Plenty of motor and little to no gadgetry....
Unfortunately, the dealership that we were at did not have a single one for us to look at. I guess that they are quite popular around here (MA). The SMT looked quite lonesome there, among all of the RFS's and Husabergs... They had at least 8 Diavels, and maybe 8 more Monsters. They had one Hypermotard, but no Hyperstrada's. The silver Multi-S was all alone.
My wife and I are still shopping, and we want to try a 990 Adventure, and maybe even hit up a Triumph dealership. In truth, the little hooligan in me really wants a bike that will wheelie and slide around easily, and yet still carry my wife in some comfort, and that pretty much means the Strada's and the SMT. All of the others (S10, Tigers, Stelvio's, 'Strom's, etc.) are complete Tank's in comparison. I would really hate to give up the "Fun factor" for just a little bit more comfort. A 990 Adventure looks pretty long... Do they snap up a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie OK?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #4265
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,774
Quote:
Unfortunately, the dealership that we were at did not have a single one for us to look at. I guess that they are quite popular around here (MA). The SMT looked quite lonesome there, among all of the RFS's and Husabergs... They had at least 8 Diavels, and maybe 8 more Monsters. They had one Hypermotard, but no Hyperstrada's. The silver Multi-S was all alone.
My wife and I are still shopping, and we want to try a 990 Adventure, and maybe even hit up a Triumph dealership. In truth, the little hooligan in me really wants a bike that will wheelie and slide around easily, and yet still carry my wife in some comfort, and that pretty much means the Strada's and the SMT. All of the others (S10, Tigers, Stelvio's, 'Strom's, etc.) are complete Tank's in comparison. I would really hate to give up the "Fun factor" for just a little bit more comfort. A 990 Adventure looks pretty long... Do they snap up a 2nd or 3rd gear wheelie OK?
Hyperstrada in the spring...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #4266
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,495
or even the new GS.....
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #4267
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
or even the new GS.....
A GS will wheelie easily in 2nd or 3rd? I must be thinking of of the wrong bike... Unless they have come a really long way in the last few years.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #4268
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 39,384
Quote:
A GS will wheelie easily in 2nd or 3rd? I must be thinking of of the wrong bike... Unless they have come a really long way in the last few years.
yeah my 2012 does.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #4269
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
The new water cooled GS might surprise you.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #4270
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
The new water cooled GS might surprise you.
Third gear wheelies seem less likely with the GS though yet possible. Through the marvels of physics, it is often easier to wheelie with more weight added via the mechanism of an innocent but terrified pillion who just happened to come along for the ride.

I think its fair to say that if snapping wheelies is part of the requirement, the Multistrada goes to the head of the class. The KTM would be the other likely possibility, but I'll bet the GS will still take second fiddle in this category.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #4271
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Go check out Dr Greg's posting on Ducati.ms re. his experience with self-servicing his MTS12. He's an experienced Ducati wrench (i.e. he's done Desmo valves on his other Ducs before) and even he threw in the towel. Oil change? Easy peasy. Valve check/adjust? Read Doc's story.....

-SM
I agree, it's a bit of an undertaking. This was my multi in the middle of its 15k service and they hadn't even gotten to the valves yet:

ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #4272
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
I agree, it's a bit of an undertaking. This was my multi in the middle of its 15k service and they hadn't even gotten to the valves yet:

I absolutely love my 'Strada but if I keep piling on the miles at my current rate, I'm looking at two or three of those within the next four years. That new GS is looking more and more attractive from a purely high mileage maintenance view.

Dammit, Triumph where is that 1050 Sport

JNRobert screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 09:57 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #4273
Andreazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post

I don`t understand all the complaing regarding the MTS mainteance Okay, the fairings and fuel tank take som more time to remove comparing to other bikes. But when that is done, and the bike look like the one in this picture, it is like servicing any other 4 valve Ducati...only this one got longer interval`s.. Mechanics at Ducati dealership`s are not Wizard`s from Oz, they are normal people with ten fingers. There are not any special tooling needed to do a normal service. Deleting the service indicator, then you need the dealership`s fancy diagnostic computer
Andreazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #4274
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:

If you can wait a bit longer, you might find one of these to your liking.

Available in the rest of the world from next month. In your corner? Maybe next summer.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #4275
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
gplasm, the new KTM ADV doesn't do it for you? Plenty of motor and little to no gadgetry....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
If you can wait a bit longer, you might find one of these to your liking.

Available in the rest of the world from next month. In your corner? Maybe next summer.
bright minds.....