Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 AM   #31
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"OK gents! I need your suggestions on some decent boot socks that have good cushioning in the heels to prevent blisters and that provide some moisture wicking capabilities."

IMHO: Wear two pair of socks. Learned that long ago when backpacking.
Inside wicking (comfort), Outside pair cushioning.

Cheap and it works for me.
I have tried this too, from waaaaay back in my boot camp days. The issue again is to have a inner sock that is thin enough and that wicks properly. I have yet to find that perfect combination. Thanks for the reminder!

The Aerostich CBT boots that I wear are super heavy duty, thick leather. Even though I were these boots every day, some times all day long, and for over 6 months...so they are fairly well broken in...if I get a sucky pair of socks the heel will start to rub. If I get a better pair of socks all is well in the world. Its not the boots, I have the same thing occur with other work boots.
Maybe my feet sweat more than most.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #32
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

It looks like the un-scientific consensus is with the smartwool socks. Now off to kill some time browsing the interweb for these.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #33
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12lts View Post
I bought some of these last year and they are the only socks I have tried that will stay up on my leg all day.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/perf...ght-socks.html

They have different weights for warm or cold weather and have been good to me so far.
I stumbled across these on the website:
http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/perf...lk-midwht.html
They look very promising.
Over the calf - CHECK
Black - CHECK
Under 20$ - CHECK
Wicking - CHECK

Made for mining boots which have got to be the toughest footwear made in the world. Miners are some tough blokes!

Free shipping and returns. Hell that's a no brainer. Ordering a pair of these today. I will post the outcome.
Many thanks!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #34
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,042
I have some of these bamboo socks. They are thin, wick well, not expensive, and have good anti-microbial properties.

http://www.bambooclothing.co.uk/stor...duct/UA603-BLK

However, I have been wearing my Combat Touring Boots for 14+ years now. I put some Spenco insoles in them when new and still have the same pair in there. The insoles provide excellent cushioning. I just wear plain old ordinary mid-calf athletic socks. The cheap, cotton kind you get at JC Penney's for $12 for a 6 pack or whatever. The bamboo socks referenced above get used sometimes when I'm hiking or on the racetrack - but mostly I just don't bother wearing them. They're too thin to wear by themselves for most of what I do.

I have certainly done MANY days where I rode some and walked around a LOT in my boots. For example, pretty much every year at Daytona Bike Week. After the first month with these boots, I have never gotten a blister or even thought I was going to get a blister. So, I'd have to agree with some other posters - it sounds like there's something wrong with the size of your boots.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #35
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
For winter use, I alternate between a pair of Rev'It winter socks ($38) and a pair of Alpinestars Thermal Tech ($20) socks. Both work great for keeping me warm and wicking away my (as my wife would say) considerable foot moisture. I've found putting on a thin pair of ankle socks on top of the Rev'It or A* keeps my foot even more comfortable moisture-wise. I ride with a pair of Oxtar Matrix gore-tex boots mostly in the winter too. The extra ankle sock thickness is noticeable, but not uncomfortable.
dasrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Please note for record...the issue is NOT, NOT, NOT with the boot sizing. I can wear a thin pair of dress socks that have good wicking and be OK for short periods. Yes, the heavy/extra cushioning comes into play on days where I walk a lot. Again, not a boot sizing issue.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Darn Tough have at least 3X the lifespan of Smartwool in my experience. I bought three pairs of over-the-calf ultra-light ski socks three years ago and have worn them for all my riding and snowboarding since. They still look brand new. I only paid $16 a pair for them, too. I used to go through two or three pairs of Smartwool a winter (holes at the balls and toes). I actually have family who work for Timberland (owners of Smartwool), but I still buy Darn Tough socks.

Shirts, on the other hand... I love my Smartwool shirts.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #38
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I'm telling you... they never fall down and have padding where it makes sense. I wear a 10.5 boot and have several pairs of the 42-44 size and they fit perfectly. http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?...FQhyQgoddiQAcw
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #39
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I love my smartwool however if darn tough are actually better, and i have herd a few times other than on here that they are... they must be one hell of a sock. My first pair of smartwools were worn almost non stop for over a year before i got more, they also have a hole in the foot from when i hit a guard rail in California and the cement burnt through my shoes\sock\foot but they still seem like new otherwise, I just don't wear them as much anymore as i have many more pairs of wool socks..its all i wear now.
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #40
jbhawley OP
WTF- Gus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET-VT View Post
Darn Tough have at least 3X the lifespan of Smartwool in my experience. I bought three pairs of over-the-calf ultra-light ski socks three years ago and have worn them for all my riding and snowboarding since. They still look brand new. I only paid $16 a pair for them, too. I used to go through two or three pairs of Smartwool a winter (holes at the balls and toes). I actually have family who work for Timberland (owners of Smartwool), but I still buy Darn Tough socks.

Shirts, on the other hand... I love my Smartwool shirts.
Did you get these from their online store or locally? I cannot find a local vendor that stocks these socks? Even though the web site lists some local dealers, none have the socks in stock.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post
Did you get these from their online store or locally? I cannot find a local vendor that stocks these socks? Even though the web site lists some local dealers, none have the socks in stock.
I've gotten them locally. They seem to be available online, though.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote