ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #32356
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮
 
indypup's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Troy, OHIO
Oddometer: 3,081
I don't see any orange or blue in that pic. ;)
__________________
If there's no video...it didn't happen
2014 350 XCF-W Six Days SE
2007 ST1300, 2008 KLR650, 2008 WR250R, 1995 Ninja 250R
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #32357
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Any 300lb dual sport is not going to be fun above 65-70 for more than a few miles no matter if it has 10hp or 90hp. It's a weight, aerodynamics thing. Ever riden a light tall bike in a decent cross wind at highway speeds?
Valid point. I guess even in "spirited" riding around town or on gravel I was very bored with the DRZ's power. In my state we can't tag dirt bikes, if we could I would own a big bore and a barely legal machine. But alas I am looking for a true dual sport to take me on nice scenic trips of a week or to work on Monday morning. I just need to get over the fact that I have owned some high hp thumpers that I never really rode to their potential
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #32358
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
I am looking for a true dual sport to take me on nice scenic trips of a week or to work on Monday morning.
I think the WR is perfect for that mission.....the extra weight/beefy subframe/350 watts of juice works in your favor.......my gut feeling is that the KTM 350F-XC-W is better suited to 3-4 day "travel light/fast" dualsport loops where the majority of the riding is off road......and that suits my primary riding style/mission......picking the bike up this Friday......boxes of farkle "stuff" arriving at the doorstep

If my mission statement was multiweek trips that involve ~25%+ slab component and/or commuting .......I'd be shopping for a replacement WR....
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #32359
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!
 
ThumperDRZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Stinkin' County, MO
Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
...........I just need to get over the fact that I have owned some high hp thumpers that I never really rode to their potential
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I think the WR is perfect for that mission.........
How's that saying go...."It's better to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow".....
__________________
"If you're going through hell.......Keep going!"

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #32360
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ View Post
How's that saying go...."It's better to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow".....
That's why I'm getting the 350FXC-W instead of the 500FXC-W......."Less is More" (fun)
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #32361
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Valid point. I guess even in "spirited" riding around town or on gravel I was very bored with the DRZ's power. In my state we can't tag dirt bikes, if we could I would own a big bore and a barely legal machine. But alas I am looking for a true dual sport to take me on nice scenic trips of a week or to work on Monday morning. I just need to get over the fact that I have owned some high hp thumpers that I never really rode to their potential
If I rode my 530 up to it's potential very often,the tire wouldnt last a day.
Its more about having the smooth fun excess of power and enjoying the ride. For just a scenic cruise I would take my DR650 anyway.
Floating the occasional low rpm wheelie off a 4th gear corner is so much fun on a fast big bore that it becomes an addiction. The 530 excels at it.
The DRZe400 I had was too much like a sewing machine,no snap,truly odd handling and seating/standing position,revving the guts out of a bike and still going slow gets old.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #32362
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
That's why I'm getting the 350FXC-W instead of the 500FXC-W......."Less is More" (fun)
The trick with the 350 is........They dont have good hiway gearing to go with their great trail manners.
An EXCR 500 will cruise all day at 70+ with no strain,350 is spinning pretty hard at 65 or 60 depending on your trail gearing. If your only riding dirt then it matters less of course.
We sometimes encounter 80mph dirt roads out in Nevada and the bigger bore bikes shine there,and in sand climbs.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #32363
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
I think the WR is perfect for that mission.....the extra weight/beefy subframe/350 watts of juice works in your favor.......my gut feeling is that the KTM 350F-XC-W is better suited to 3-4 day "travel light/fast" dualsport loops where the majority of the riding is off road......and that suits my primary riding style/mission......picking the bike up this Friday......boxes of farkle "stuff" arriving at the doorstep

If my mission statement was multiweek trips that involve ~25%+ slab component and/or commuting .......I'd be shopping for a replacement WR....
Thanks, the maintenance, parts locally if needed and notably BigDogs build/miles make me really think I am pointed at the right bike for my current needs. Also looking at a Terra and realize they are not comparable, but price new/new is hard NOT to look at the Terra as it would still do what I asked. I don't do gnarly single track/jump anyway. Dealer network is not close as well as parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
If I rode my 530 up to it's potential very often,the tire wouldnt last a day.
Its more about having the smooth fun excess of power and enjoying the ride. For just a scenic cruise I would take my DR650 anyway.
Floating the occasional low rpm wheelie off a 4th gear corner is so much fun on a fast big bore that it becomes an addiction. The 530 excels at it.
The DRZe400 I had was too much like a sewing machine,no snap,truly odd handling and seating/standing position,revving the guts out of a bike and still going slow gets old.
I absolutely hated the DRZ after coming from an uncorked Husky 610.

I want to ride a WRR this spring and see if it speaks to me, if so I will begin a hunt for a lightly used and farkled unit.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #32364
duanew1
In my Pajama pants
 
duanew1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 744
More power dual sport - TE610

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
But alas I am looking for a true dual sport to take me on nice scenic trips of a week or to work on Monday morning. I just need to get over the fact that I have owned some high hp thumpers that I never really rode to their potential
I just traded my street bike for a TE610 with an extra set of sumo wheels. I must say that time will tell which bike I will love the most between the WR250R and the TE610. The weight is not that much different, but the power is. It takes a little more discipline with the throttle hand. I know that the WR has plenty of power to get me anywhere off road except a quick loft of the front wheel to get over an obstacle (or maybe I have not figured it out yet). I have not really rode the TE that much yet because I have discovered some major subframe issues. I think I will slightly miss the "reliable as a rock" (except the chain slider issues) of the WR. Time will tell but the WR is not going to be sold anytime soon.
__________________
Bikes I own
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1992 Yamaha XT225
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #32365
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: CA
Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
I absolutely hated the DRZ after coming from an uncorked Husky 610.

I want to ride a WRR this spring and see if it speaks to me, if so I will begin a hunt for a lightly used and farkled unit.
I came from a 610 w/power up kit to the WR. I'm really enjoying the WR. The only thing I miss about the 610 is the power. The WR will never compare in that department, but for a 250 it has decent power, and I think it's a great bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I just traded my street bike for a TE610 with an extra set of sumo wheels. I must say that time will tell which bike I will love the most between the WR250R and the TE610. The weight is not that much different, but the power is. It takes a little more discipline with the throttle hand. I know that the WR has plenty of power to get me anywhere off road except a quick loft of the front wheel to get over an obstacle (or maybe I have not figured it out yet). I have not really rode the TE that much yet because I have discovered some major subframe issues. I think I will slightly miss the "reliable as a rock" (except the chain slider issues) of the WR. Time will tell but the WR is not going to be sold anytime soon.
While the weight of the two bikes isn't that much different on paper, my WR feels much lighter than my 610 did. I think the difference is around 50-60 lbs., but it feels like 100lbs. I'm enjoying the ligher weight, although the heavier 610 was definitely better in windy conditions.
__________________
Current: WR250X, CT110
Previous: SM610, KLX351

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #32366
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer
 
30Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Marion, IA
Oddometer: 4,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I just traded my street bike for a TE610 with an extra set of sumo wheels. I must say that time will tell which bike I will love the most between the WR250R and the TE610. The weight is not that much different, but the power is. It takes a little more discipline with the throttle hand. I know that the WR has plenty of power to get me anywhere off road except a quick loft of the front wheel to get over an obstacle (or maybe I have not figured it out yet). I have not really rode the TE that much yet because I have discovered some major subframe issues. I think I will slightly miss the "reliable as a rock" (except the chain slider issues) of the WR. Time will tell but the WR is not going to be sold anytime soon.
Loved my husky. Subframe and cam chain were the only things that seemed common issues. Mine was EFI and wow what a fun bike. I also had 17's and around here it's worthless with no twisties.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #32367
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Enough of that orange porn.. how bout some blue!!! Man .... I'm ready for winter to be over already!



Wowser, that's the WR that I have in my head - now there's a picture :) Nice bike! I don't suppose you have a list of what you've done to it?

UtahFox screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:56 AM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #32368
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
If my mission statement was multiweek trips that involve ~25%+ slab component and/or commuting .......I'd be shopping for a replacement WR....
This is nice to hear. I've been checking out those 350EXCs because of your pic up above, they are pretty amazing. But I'm back on the WR now. Hopefully I'll get the Tiger sold soon and I can get to work :)
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #32369
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I know that the WR has plenty of power to get me anywhere off road except a quick loft of the front wheel to get over an obstacle (or maybe I have not figured it out yet).
I would want this capability in whatever new bike I choose to go with, anyone else have issues with the WR and obstacles?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #32370
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
I would want this capability in whatever new bike I choose to go with, anyone else have issues with the WR and obstacles?
My only obstacle is my riding ability
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014