Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Jdeks OP
Departed

Oddometer: 945
Help! Drill/modify an oil filter for a pressure gauge sender?

Hi all,

I'm looking to fit an oil pressure gauge to my 950. After a chat with a KTM contact of mine, I arranged an order of a special oil filter cover with a sender line build in, apparently used on the rally bikes. Real neat piece of kit, except as you can see below (new cover on the left, stock on the right), the inside of the cover has a proud section of tube that looks like it should slot into an oil filter....except as you can see, the 950 normal filter has no hole. As such, the cover won't bolt on.

My hairbrained scheme is:

• salvage the rubber sealing ring from the old filter (which fits snugly onto the internal pipe from the new cover),
  • drill a hole in the sealed metal end of the new filter
  • install the sealing ring on that hole (fluid-tight with silicone sealant or something), making a 'straight-through passage to the sender line, allowing the new cover to fit on and 'plug in' to the oil system.
Assuming I seal the rubber ring properly, I can't see how this allowing dirty oil to mix with clean, and being right after the pump, it should give a good pressure reading, yes?

But if this is a terrible idea and someone can see any impending disasters (dashboard oil volcanoes?) with this plan, I'm all ears.

And thankyou in advance, but I do know about the other oil sender fitting locations, but I've decided to go with this one.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
TwoRats
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
TwoRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Jdeks OP
Departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoRats View Post
You just want to see an oil-cano, don't you?

To add to my last, the other ption would be to grind away the pipe on the new plug until it fits the profile of the stock one....but i dont kow if any oil would get through to it then.

Jdeks screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 05:51 AM
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,141
If it was my bike I would modify the cover before I would drill the filter and risk getting metal shavings in the engine. Some could get caught in the folds of the filter and come out later.

If you cut the protrusion down to match the other you should be fine.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
If it was my bike I would modify the cover before I would drill the filter and risk getting metal shavings in the engine. Some could get caught in the folds of the filter and come out later.

If you cut the protrusion down to match the other you should be fine.

-John
+1 to this, but I think in addition to cutting the cover protrusion down to exactly match the stock piece (so that it holds the filter inward) you'd want to notch the protrusion so that some oil pressure could get into the pressure reading tube.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Jdeks OP
Departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
+1 to this, but I think in addition to cutting the cover protrusion down to exactly match the stock piece (so that it holds the filter inward) you'd want to notch the protrusion so that some oil pressure could get into the pressure reading tube.
I had this in mind too - maybe leave a few mm of protusion proud, and drill holes around it.

The problem is that I think the filter comes up dead flush against the rest of the flat inside surface, leaving the hole in the middle of the cover 'sealed off', even with a notched protrustion.

Didn't think about swarf...good point. If I can drill it in such a fashion that none gets caught (hook up a vacuum next to the drill), do think the idea would still hold?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
FtheRedSticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Does your ktm contact/friend know how the professionals use the cover. Do the pros modify the stock filter, or is there some "works" filter made but only offered to the pros?

If you drill the hole put some grease on the spot where you drill.

Another option, being that the metal base of the paper filter is very thin. Perhaps you could "punch" out the hole from the interior side. Might take some Jerry rigging and making your own punch, say maybe a screwdriver with its end sharpened to a point.

FtheRedSticker screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:04 AM
FtheRedSticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Jdeks OP
Departed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtheRedSticker View Post
Does your ktm contact/friend know how the professionals use the cover. Do the pros modify the stock filter, or is there some "works" filter made but only offered to the pros?
The latter - I think it's supposed to got with a special filter. According to him, it's originally for a 660 Rally Replic, but the filter port is identical to the 950.

I've emailed him too to see what he thinks.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 666
I would take the new cover to my friendly local machinist and have him mill it to match the stock cover
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,838
Someone else had a similar thread, but maybe for a temp sender.

I think he ended up using the hole for the existing plug in the front of the oil filter housing.

Search part# 600.38.033.050 in the 950 parts manual.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
roookie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Another way to do it, if interested..

http://ktm950.info/how/Farkels/adven...ure_gauge.html
roookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
The spigot on the new cover is designed to read the pressure on the inside (filtered side) of the filter.
With the spigot machined flat and a groove in the cover, the guage will only read the oil pressure ahead of the filter. If the filter plugs and reduces pressure/flow to the engine, the guage will still read the oil pump pressure on the outside of the filter.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 872
Mill the new cover to match the old profile. Use a thin punch to pierce the filter from the inside out.

That should produce no swarf and still give the sensor a pressure source to read from.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Mill the new cover to match the old profile. Use a thin punch to pierce the filter from the inside out.

That should produce no swarf and still give the sensor a pressure source to read from.
+1 this is the final answer I believe
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin74Q View Post
The spigot on the new cover is designed to read the pressure on the inside (filtered side) of the filter.
With the spigot machined flat and a groove in the cover, the guage will only read the oil pressure ahead of the filter. If the filter plugs and reduces pressure/flow to the engine, the guage will still read the oil pump pressure on the outside of the filter.
I had thought that the oil entered through the rubber grommet to the inside of the filter, and flowed outward into the filter chamber. The system diagram on page 2-2 in the repair manual, seems to show that flow direction.

Am I looking at this wrong? Is the flow actually inward from the filter's outer surface, and out through the rubber grommet at the inboard end of the filter?

Or, maybe am I just confused about your meaning?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote