Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #616
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Like Oprah has ever ridden a bike

Her sole job is to sell shit so be interesting to see what she says.

I don' think she is a push over and I think she takes a harsh view of people that lie to the public/fans so I am hopeful she won't be cuddling LA. I am not a "fan" of Oprah but you gotta respect her - she's big time. LA was on her show before and yes, she rode a bike. Lie you, still no idea and how this plays out/benefits him.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #617
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I don' think she is a push over and I think she takes a harsh view of people that lie to the public/fans so I am hopeful she won't be cuddling LA. I am not a "fan" of Oprah but you gotta respect her - she's big time. LA was on her show before and yes, she rode a bike. Lie you, still no idea and how this plays out/benefits him.
I did have a lot of respect for Oprah but at the end of the day, her main aim is to sell shit. She's not alone in that goal mind, just the most successful.

I wonder if Trek or Specialized will be buying adspace on her show
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #618
swimmer
armchair asshole

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...5/?sf8438829=1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...e-ban/1820529/

lol
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...interview.html
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #619
swimmer
armchair asshole

Apparently he will admit cheating and is not get paid by Oprah.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...terview_271077
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #620
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Why are people shocked and offended when performance enhancers are discovered? Steroids have been around since the 1950's and were used by bodybuilders and strength athletes then as now. Despite all the media hype about supposed 'roid rage and death there really isn't any danger in using steroids and growth hormone. We can't expect records to keep falling , the human body hasn't evolved that much.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #621
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz363 View Post
Why are people shocked and offended when performance enhancers are discovered? Steroids have been around since the 1950's and were used by bodybuilders and strength athletes then as now. Despite all the media hype about supposed 'roid rage and death there really isn't any danger in using steroids and growth hormone. We can't expect records to keep falling , the human body hasn't evolved that much.
Records would keep calling even without drugs. We simply know a lot more about weight training these days. For heavyweigjts, Before 1940, the Olympic record in the snatch was like 210 lbs (vs 476 today). 330lbs in clean and jerk vs 586 today. Press record was 270. For reference, I cleaned and pressed 150, for reps, after like 3 months of having it in my training, and I ain't no strong man, not a heavyweight, and I ain't on any drugs.

PoundSand screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 01:50 AM
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #622
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm referring to the last twenty years or thirty years not 1940. I'm not comparing nutrition and training before the invention of the squat rack or modern gym. Dianabol was invented for the U.S. weightlifting team in the 1950's which led to the steroid era of Olympic lifting and the birth of powerlifting.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #623
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Nobody is shocked and offended by the steroids, the issue here is cheating and the lengths that people went to deceive.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #624
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
Nobody is shocked and offended by the steroids, the issue here is cheating and the lengths that people went to deceive.
+1

One of the saddest things with all of this is the willingness by so many to accept what Armstrong did because, well, everyone was doing it. Very sad indeed.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #625
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #626
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post
I think you would find that most if not all competitors are using the same enhancers. Thanks for explaining what the true issue is as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #627
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Armstrong's problem was that he cheated too well. Hell, we all know they all cheated and doped, and most have admitted to it or gotten caught. He needed to be smart about it and throw in some mixed results - not win 7 straight TDF. He could have come back from cancer, won a couple tours, retired as a cancer survivor and role model, and lived happily ever after with his charity and millions in endorsements. If this doping stuff came up, he could have come clean, acknowledged it was rampant and played it off like he is now interested in cleaning up the sport for the love of cycling. More accolades would follow, for being honest and a sportsman.

But, he is a narcissist and an egomaniac - he couldn't stop. He needed to head the lesson of Icarus. Ultimately a man's integrity is all he has, and Armstrong has none.

Even better, win some Tours de France and then go try to win the Giro or the Vuelta or the Roubaix or the Liege-Bastogne-Liege or any of the other monuments.

Even with 7 Tour victories, he would never have been considered the greatest cyclist in the world-- Not with all the 5 Tour winners PLUS all those fantastic one-day and minor tour wins.

I dislike Lance, not because he doped, but the way he brought doping in a precise, clinical regimen. I dislike him as well because he turned a lot of young people interested in cycling into a generation of Tour watchers.

But beyond all that I dislike the duplicity, the bullying, the threats, and the asanine manner in which he defended himself the most.

Can they put some of the USADA's budget spent on investigating him for the last couple years on his tab as well?

It'll be interesting to see if there are any criminal charges brought forth should he admit his use. I think the only sworn testimony in which he perjured himself is beyond the statute of limitations.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #628
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
I think you would find that most if not all competitors are using the same enhancers. Thanks for explaining what the true issue is as well.
Oh yeah, the whole field was dirty, of that I have little doubt.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #629
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,022
I would be careful indicting the entire field. Keep in mind the cost for doping was generally covered by the rider, and in the case of US Postal it was in the realm of 10,000 USD to start.

Certainly the contenders were doping in some why and probably top 50 riders out of 200? Just guessing here. A lowly domestique won't have the dosh to dope like the big boys. I suppose in the Tour it will probably be much higher since that gets most press.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #630
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 11,533
Thanks Lance, you Asshole.

Thanks for making me and legions of others who defended you, believed you did it 'honestly' look like a bunch of all-day suckers. Thanks.

You are dead to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: