User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #106
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Problem identified!!!

It's the stator. The bike still isn't running...it needs some parts...but it feels really good to have identified the problem. After adjusting the valves (they were loose) and installing a new carb, the bike didn't start. It behaved the same during my attempts to start it...it tried to start, but wouldn't. So it was on to the stator. As soon as the cover was pulled, the problem was obvious...the stator was loose...the 3 bolts that secure it to the cover had partially backed out. I brought a new stator back with me but the loosened bolts damaged their respective anchoring points. The Suzuki dealer immediately ordered a cover, the starter bearing (that fits into the cover), and 3 new bolts. The parts are scheduled to arrive Friday pm, and they will reassemble my bike before they close Friday evening. So, I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel...and it feels mighty good!

Now, I need to share some history on my damaged stator. I personally installed that stator, a high output, aftermarket stator from ProCycle. And yes I did apply Locktite to the 3 mounting bolts. So, either my faulty workmanship is responsible or something failed mechanically...personally, I think it's the tech :) But since I've come clean, I will also say that I'm quite anal in my work ethic. If the failure is mine to shoulder, then it falls into the area of "lack of knowledge and experience", not "sloppiness"

Minutes after the sidecover was pulled.

The stator and the exposed sidecase.

Take a close look and you may be able to see the distressed bolt locations.

You may also be able to see some wear marks on the coils. This is not a happy stator!

My replacement stator is ready for its new home.

The tech is as happy as I am to finally uncover the problem. Although I was hoping to have a running bike today, I'll have to postpone my celebration until Friday night! But believe me, it is a huge relief to anticipate riding out of Zacatecas Saturday morning, rather than shipping my bike home. Again, thanks to all that helped diagnose the problem! Yippee!
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #107
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Glad to hear you found the problem. Looks like a good place to hang out in for a few days...
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #108
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Good luck

What time are you leaving Sat and what way are leaving....via San Luis or Aguascalientes?
If you are not planning to leave too early and would like a local to ride with you for a while let me know and we might be able meet somewhere. If you have some time I could show you a couple of things on the way to Aguascalientes....depends on how much of a hurry your in.....
Good luck and let me know if you are interested
RW
RW66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #109
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
It's the stator. The bike still isn't running...it needs some parts...but it feels really good to have identified the problem. After adjusting the valves (they were loose) and installing a new carb, the bike didn't start. It behaved the same during my attempts to start it...it tried to start, but wouldn't. So it was on to the stator. As soon as the cover was pulled, the problem was obvious...the stator was loose...the 3 bolts that secure it to the cover had partially backed out. I brought a new stator back with me but the loosened bolts damaged their respective anchoring points. The Suzuki dealer immediately ordered a cover, the starter bearing (that fits into the cover), and 3 new bolts. The parts are scheduled to arrive Friday pm, and they will reassemble my bike before they close Friday evening. So, I'm seeing some light at the end of the tunnel...and it feels mighty good!

Now, I need to share some history on my damaged stator. I personally installed that stator, a high output, aftermarket stator from ProCycle. And yes I did apply Locktite to the 3 mounting bolts. So, either my faulty workmanship is responsible or something failed mechanically...personally, I think it's the tech :) But since I've come clean, I will also say that I'm quite anal in my work ethic. If the failure is mine to shoulder, then it falls into the area of "lack of knowledge and experience", not "sloppiness"

Minutes after the sidecover was pulled.

The stator and the exposed sidecase.

Take a close look and you may be able to see the distressed bolt locations.

You may also be able to see some wear marks on the coils. This is not a happy stator!

My replacement stator is ready for its new home.

The tech is as happy as I am to finally uncover the problem. Although I was hoping to have a running bike today, I'll have to postpone my celebration until Friday night! But believe me, it is a huge relief to anticipate riding out of Zacatecas Saturday morning, rather than shipping my bike home. Again, thanks to all that helped diagnose the problem! Yippee!
Oh boy. Looks like I'm pulling my stator cover back off before my trip to blue loctite them. Hopefully I won't have any issues.. thanks for reporting back and hell, enjoy that new tm40! You won't regret it once you crack that throttle!
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #110
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,176
Glad you got it sorted out!

Enjoying the pics and report Was through there a couple months ago and you're making me very unhappy and restless to get back
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #111
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Oh boy. Looks like I'm pulling my stator cover back off before my trip to blue loctite them. Hopefully I won't have any issues.. thanks for reporting back and hell, enjoy that new tm40! You won't regret it once you crack that throttle!
I am glad to have the TM40. I understand that the power is the same as with the stock carb, but the throttle response is instantly felt! Can't wait to experience it!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #112
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Restless To Get Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Glad you got it sorted out!

Enjoying the pics and report Was through there a couple months ago and you're making me very unhappy and restless to get back
This is my first trip beyond Copper Canyon. I understand your desire "to get back"...I'm already looking forward to my return, and I'm still here!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #113
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
Glad to hear you found the problem. Looks like a good place to hang out in for a few days...
No doubt, my mechanical issues extended my stay...but I couldn't be stuck in nicer place!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #114
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
What time are you leaving Sat and what way are leaving....via San Luis or Aguascalientes?
If you are not planning to leave too early and would like a local to ride with you for a while let me know and we might be able meet somewhere. If you have some time I could show you a couple of things on the way to Aguascalientes....depends on how much of a hurry your in.....
Good luck and let me know if you are interested
RW
Roy, I'm looking forward to riding with you Saturday...and I'm not in a hurry!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #115
m_p_w
Unfunempolyed

Oddometer: 35
Congrats!

Awesome! Glad to see that the problem is solved!
m_p_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #116
jrzyguy OP
Restless

I'm Back In Business

Mi moto is running like a DR should. Installed the stator and it started immediately! I am as happy as I can ever remember...my travels will continue! Meeting Roy, from Fresnillo, at 9 tomorrow and we will tour of some points of interest south of Zacatecas. And later in the day I plan to meet Matt W in San Miguel de Allende. We are likely to ride together to Oaxaca. So, my sojourn in Zacatecas is about to end! It's been sweet, but I'm eager to move on!

Red Locktite is carefully applied to each bolt.

It's clean and ready to accept the cover!

The stator is painstakingly mounted to the side cover. And yes, Locktite is applied to every fastener.

The side case is mounted with equal care!

Since the engine chewed up some metal, we drained the oil, added new oil for a flush and then replaced it with new 10 40 and a new filter. The engine should be happy for the next 3,500 miles!

This is my new TM40 Pumper carburetor. It looks ready to go. I'm relieved to give up my cable controled choke and look forward to simply reaching below to choke it.

Removed the snorkel and cut out the top of the air box for improved breathing!

Along with a wash to top it off, the tech took care of some odds and ends: he straightened out my front right blinker bracket (bent when it fell against the guardrail), cleaned and lubed my chain, and adjusted my headlight down to compensate for my load. I couldn't be more satisfied with the care and service I received from Zacatecas Suzuki. I would recommend them wholeheartedly. In round numbers, my bill was $150 for parts and $200 for labor. I can not begin to imagine what I would have been charged in the US. And the parts arrived in 2 days! I'm a happy camper!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #117
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
I am glad to have the TM40. I understand that the power is the same as with the stock carb, but the throttle response is instantly felt! Can't wait to experience it!
Yup. Its also much better if you lug it at all. The bike won't buck and jerk below 3k like before. That said, you generally want to keep the rpms up above 3k. You will love the instant power. Since you modified the air box, you will prolly also notice a little extra power too.

How hard is the choke to get at with the ims tank mounted? I'd rather keep the knob choke instead of getting a choke relocator kit.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #118
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Travel safe

Jim
It was nice ridding with you yesterday. Let me know if you ever get back in the area and if you have time maybe I could have the pleasure of showing you a couple of more places.
Hope you got to SMA ok. If you stop at the Garufa to eat, tell the owner you bring him saludos from Fresnillo. The owner of the Garufa in SMA is from Fresnillo and his mother works for a good friend of mine.
Keep the reports comming. Great job.
Travel safe
Roy

RW66 screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 06:40 AM
RW66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #119
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Sma

Hey Jim,
Garufa in Zacatecas is where we had dinner. I didn't try the one in SMA. It is right up the street, towards the Jardin, from Posada de Las Monjas. Don't know where you are today but hope you got to SMA and are at Las Monjas, good affordable place with parking and you can walk everywhere. There are so many great restaurants there. Make sure to go to La Mesa Grande on corner of Zacateros and Pila Seca, great coffee, pan chocolate, nice staff, way cheaper and better than the corporate coffee up at the Jardin. I am in Mexico City for a couple of days and then flying to Chile on Tuesday. Will be back in a month. Went to SMA for 3 days stayed for three weeks. How long are you planning to be down here in Mex?

David
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #120
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Yup. Its also much better if you lug it at all. The bike won't buck and jerk below 3k like before. That said, you generally want to keep the rpms up above 3k. You will love the instant power. Since you modified the air box, you will prolly also notice a little extra power too.

How hard is the choke to get at with the ims tank mounted? I'd rather keep the knob choke instead of getting a choke relocator kit.
It's easy to reach, but takes a little while to memorize the location since it's visually blocked by the tank and I have to feel for it.