Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #121
Portchy
Long in the tooth

Oddometer: 44
[QUOTE=jaycommando;15538300] This stuff is not a toy it is full on life saving equipment.

Well stated!

I am not saying this is a good idea , because it is not sterile, but I have successfully used "super glue" (cyanoacrylate), in the gel version, to seal cuts that would normally need stitching. This was done in an emergency wilderness setting and not as a normal home treatment by the way. You can also use it for fixing other things on the bike too.

Of course "Dermabond" is the proper product for this, but not sure how well it glues bike bits together.

95 Steamer
KMZ K-750 hack
KMZ K-750 hack
Portchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #122
Escapegoat
Sidetracked again

Oddometer: 159
Locating your first aid kit

Guys, I just highsided my bike on a deserted country road about 3 hours drive from a hospital. I was by myself with no phone or two way reception and my first aid kit was in a saddle bag under the bike. I waited for three hours with a smashed collarbone and ribs until someone came along to help

I suggest you put your first aid kit in a tank bag up on top or strapped to the bars not dropped into a saddlebag as an afterthought
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #123
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,293
Glad you are able to tell us about it.
Sounds like a good idea. Mine is typically in a tail bag, centered.
Would it have helped you?
Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #124
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Ol SPOT sounds like it would have been handy there. As long as it was on your person.
Glad we got to hear the story first hand, though.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 AM   #125
surfersami
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ACR makes a really nice compact PLB that can be activated with one hand. It signals sat and sends locator beacon for local search along with gps plot.
http://www.acrelectronics.com/produc...qlink-406-gps/
surfersami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #126
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
+1 for Ogio Flight Vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapegoat View Post
Guys, I just highsided my bike on a deserted country road about 3 hours drive from a hospital. I was by myself with no phone or two way reception and my first aid kit was in a saddle bag under the bike. I waited for three hours with a smashed collarbone and ribs until someone came along to help

I suggest you put your first aid kit in a tank bag up on top or strapped to the bars not dropped into a saddlebag as an afterthought
Another good solution is to use the Ogio Flight Vest and carry your medical kit in it. My rule of thumb is to only carry things for me in the vest, and things for the bike on the bike. If the bike were to go over a cliff, I have everything I need to survive for a day or two. Things such as beef jerky, water, medical, mirror, SPOT, wallet, phone, space blanket, whistle, all emergency stuff, etc. I don't carry any tools or any other item on me if it is meant to work on the bike. The only thing I do carry on me is a tire gauge, and that is only for simplicity. Bike stuff on the bike, me stuff on me!
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #127
Bionicflite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thumb Spot messenger.....old news

Up north here....BC in Canada...the 2nd generation SPOT Messenger is out.

Alot of riders I have met down south eiether dont do alot of remote riding or rely on cell phone coverage.

Had mine for years in multiple sports,

Not only will the SAR people be dispatched but you can be tracked by your loved ones.
All for the initial cost of the unit plus anual subscription.

DONT LEAVE HOME WITH OUT IT
Bionicflite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #128
Bionicflite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
Another good solution is to use the Ogio Flight Vest and carry your medical kit in it. My rule of thumb is to only carry things for me in the vest, and things for the bike on the bike. If the bike were to go over a cliff, I have everything I need to survive for a day or two. Things such as beef jerky, water, medical, mirror, SPOT, wallet, phone, space blanket, whistle, all emergency stuff, etc. I don't carry any tools or any other item on me if it is meant to work on the bike. The only thing I do carry on me is a tire gauge, and that is only for simplicity. Bike stuff on the bike, me stuff on me!
For sure...I wear a Rally 3 suit loaded with self survival as yourself,,,included a headlamp and firestart works,,,hydration pack is in the suit and walking around is a little heavy but your ready for the unexpected.
Bionicflite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #129
CDN_Bacon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Just been reading through this thread and I have to say I've always like the ICE wrist or dog tags and am now thinking to get a Roadid. My question to the paramedic guys who are chiming in on here, is one better than the other during a medical assessment? Wrist or dog tags? If you get the dog tags I see that you can get an optional photo or something inscribed on one side... is it ill advised to get some "cool" looking logo and just put a medical alert logo on the opposite side?
CDN_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #130
magconpres
n00b goes here...

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightemup View Post
With regards to the SDcard, think about carrying a USB memory key instead.

I think more computers in the world today have USB ports, than SD card slots.

I travel with all my personal info, scans etc on a USB key around my neck, and have a backup of all the files on my Laptop and on a seperate USB key in my document folder where my passport, licenses, credit cards etc are.
I have a MS notepad document on it as the first file besides a folder in the root dir.
Its named "My Last Will" (Selfexplanatory)
In the Dir named "Personal Files" I have all the scans of all my personal documents and contact information on my NOK.
I will now make another one that lies more accessible, thanks for the pointers.
I have all my personal info stored in an encrypted file using TrueCrypt (open source, highly secure and runs on multiple operation systems) I keep both the data file and multiple versions of True Crypt on DropBox and also on a usb thumb drive. This way I can access the info from any Internet connected computer if I lose the thumb drive.
2000 Yam PW50, 2002 Honda XR70, 1987 Kaw KDX80
1982 Honda XL500R
magconpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #131
Brennan
Food & Bikes

Oddometer: 840
Thanks for the info everyone! Dog tags and Spot sound like the right combo to me...
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #132
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
That Oigo vest is cool.

Does anyone make anything similar in Hi VIZ?

Charlotte
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #133
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
That Oigo vest is cool.

Does anyone make anything similar in Hi VIZ?

Charlotte
They used to make one in a hi-via orange, but I haven't seen it on the market in a while.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #134
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thought I would add to this thread. The best thing to help you out would be knowledge, if you don't know what you are doing it's unlikely you will figure out what to do in an emergency. Simple things like learning the pressure points to slow bleeding, proper application of a tourniquet (at least 3-4 inches above the major bleed and only over the long bones e.g. thigh, bicep), how to form splints, things of that nature.

Some people have mentioned Quik-Clot and it is an excellent product. I would choose a tourniquet first if it was in a spot where I could use it. Be warned that quik-clot gets hot and i mean HOT. You will need to have a lot of gauze over it or some thick gloves. If you cant get it to the source of the bleed it won't work, so be prepared to pry open that cut.

Another alternative to quik-clot is Combat Gauze. It has similar agents in it that stops bleeding but its in a compact roll of gauze. Its easy to keep shoving gauze into a bleeding hole than trying to get powder or a pad in. It also works like a champ.

Some situational awareness is always a good thing to have, knowing where the clearings are at your favorite wooded riding spot can mean the difference of meeting Life Flight or carrying the guy out.

Pressure bandages or even a bandana can work wonders for regular cuts. There is plenty of time to clean it and disinfect it at the hospital.

I would not recommend suturing someone up if you don't know what you are doing.

Some of the items I carry:

Tourniquet
Epipen (allergies)
Gauze (4x4 non-sterile)
Needle, 14g 3.5 inch
Scalpel with #11 blade
Super Glue
Cravat
Band-Aids
1 inch tape
Trauma Shears

All that stuff fits into a tight package and I am confident I could handle most emergencies with it. Don't forget a little creativity never hurts, stuff like ID cards and plastic wrappers can be used to seal chest wounds, tie downs and a wrench can form a tourniquet or secure a splint, you can do a cricothyrotomy (emergency airway) with a sharp knife and a key, just keep a calm attitude and remember what you have available.

eightup screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 02:42 AM
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #135
snikrepn
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The tips are important for every bike rider especially for cases of dirt bikes. They form part of the most unpredictable set of bikes in terms of applications..More forumers need to add more of such tips and techniques here since they are indeed helpful.

snikrepn screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 02:51 AM
snikrepn is offline   Reply With Quote