Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #1621
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
He said he'd already done that.

Someone a while ago put a video camera looking at the chain run underneath the swingarm and it seems that the noise is the chain hitting the plastic protector. Not a lot you can do about it really but at least you know it's not something falling off.
you are correct. i dont read good.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #1622
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
He said he'd already done that.

Someone a while ago put a video camera looking at the chain run underneath the swingarm and it seems that the noise is the chain hitting the plastic protector. Not a lot you can do about it really but at least you know it's not something falling off.
That was my video, post # 1401.
It's still on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtMbbQeDm8s
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #1623
GuiltyParty
drifter

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
Its funny how a new bike with new capabilities can really fire you up to go riding again.

It was your combination of tyres (E09 Dakar rear and MX-71 front) that got me playing around in the mud ALOT more. It's been really wet in the UK and without these tyres the bike would be sitting in the garage. I'd been using a K60 on the rear but they simply just don't cut it in the mud...fish tailing all over the shop so forget about doing any sort of hill climbs with them.

I used the K60's in Morocco and they handled everything superbly, even the fesh fesh with full pressure if I didn't stop...but in the mud they're complete crap.

Thanks for the tips Burren. Since your post I've added the rear mud flap, a R&G shock sock and the fender extender which is absolutely essential. I'm tempted now to put some type of screen around the front of the bash plate to stop build up...I had the bike in some knee deep ruts aka tank trap and the amount of shit it collected trying to plough through was phenomenal...I was actually starting to get worried about a fire

Cheers
Old 01-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #1624
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
It was your combination of tyres (E09 Dakar rear and MX-71 front) that got me playing around in the mud ALOT more. It's been really wet in the UK and without these tyres the bike would be sitting in the garage.
Cheers
So no more broken levers lately?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #1625
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
So no more broken levers lately?
hello mate, nup no more broken levers since I replaced the standard shitty handguards with barkbusters...had an issue with the stepper motor in Morocco though causing it not to idle properly because of the dust / sand but thats now been fixed (temporarily I imagine) and on Sunday the bike cut out on me doing some trails (see end of the vid). I thought it might have been battery but after leaving it for 5 minutes to cool it fired back up and hasn't done it since so not sure. Any ideas?? Probably just my ineptitude. The next addition is to drop a tooth on the front sprocket. Let me know if you want to go for a ride again some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4f_2mPenMo

GuiltyParty screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 03:18 PM
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1626
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
on Sunday the bike cut out on me doing some trails (see end of the vid). I thought it might have been battery but after leaving it for 5 minutes to cool it fired back up and hasn't done it since so not sure. Any ideas?? Probably just my ineptitude.

Let me know if you want to go for a ride again some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4f_2mPenMo
Mine does seem a little reluctant sometimes but it's never failed to start. I get the impression that it's like a poor contact somewhere. The only suggestion I have is to check the battery connections are clean and fully tight.

My dirt riding has stopped until it dries out somewhat. But yes we'll have to get out at some stage.

Those lanes are shit. I don't enjoy riding when it's like that. You need full on knobblies and I'm not going to do that.

Don't know if you might be interested in this little trip I'm planning :- http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,7488.0.html

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 09:21 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #1627
GuiltyParty
drifter

Quote:
Mine does seem a little reluctant sometimes but it's never failed to start. I get the impression that it's like a poor contact somewhere. The only suggestion I have is to check the battery connections are clean and fully tight.

My dirt riding has stopped until it dries out somewhat. But yes we'll have to get out at some stage.

Those lanes are shit. I don't enjoy riding when it's like that. You need full on knobblies and I'm not going to do that.

Don't know if you might be interested in this little trip I'm planning :- http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,7488.0.html
Cheers, I think you're right and I'm thinking it has something to do with my GPS.

We found some fast muddy lanes as well but if you're still using the K60 you would struggle. Bardonecchia is definitely on my 'must do' list but I'm struggling with leave this year, thanks for the invite.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #1628
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Michelin T63

So I'm an idiot when it comes to tires. I fell in love with the Michelin T63 tires when I had the BMW G650GS Sertao. But they don't have the stock size for the Tiger 800XC. Would the Michelin T63 130/80-17 rear work on the XC?
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #1629
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider162 View Post
So I'm an idiot when it comes to tires. I fell in love with the Michelin T63 tires when I had the BMW G650GS Sertao. But they don't have the stock size for the Tiger 800XC. Would the Michelin T63 130/80-17 rear work on the XC?
I'm no tire expert but I will chime in... yes it would fit. I wouldn't run that tire on the T800. I think it would chew that tire up in about 500 miles or less. If you were going to ride in the desert full time then I think the tire would be fine. It would perform well off-road. But it's not a good pavement tire. Not sure how it would corner at high speeds either... It will also be much narrower which could change the overall handling of the bike. Smallest I would go is a 140.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #1630
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,222
Quote:

I loved the T-63's on my KLR. But moved to the Metzler Karoo on my Tiger for a full on knobby. Still waiting to see what kind of mileage I get out of it. May go to a 50/50 tire next, possibly the Karoo 3, when it comes out...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #1631
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I'm running what many other are running. K60 rear and a TKC 80 front. Really good combo so far. I'm interested to see what kind of mileage I get out of the TKC 80 front.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #1632
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,903
Quote:
Like fbj said, the T63 rear is too small, but I had good performance and mileage out of the T63 front last winter. However, I like the IRC TR8 Battle Rally front even better. It turns in and holds a line better on the street. Dirt manners are about the same. It's about half the price of a TKC80 and has wider knob spacing. I'm running a TKC on the rear. The tread is about half gone after 700 miles.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #1633
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I'm running what many other are running. K60 rear and a TKC 80 front. Really good combo so far. I'm interested to see what kind of mileage I get out of the TKC 80 front.
I have run 3 sets of TKC fronts now. I can get about 6,000. Tire pressure is huge for this tire. Low pressure and they will cup fast!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #1634
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
T63 and TKC80

Quote:

The rear rim is too wide for the 130/80 '63. I run it on my TE630 and it looks small on it. Great tire, on and off, wear is about 2K miles. Definitely not a tire for the tiger.

The front on the otherhand is probably one to try out since it's about half the price of a TKC. I'm just getting ready to put one on the Husky, been running a Scorpion Rally which is an excellent knobby. Not sure about it on the Tiger though, it's pretty aggressive.

Any full knobby, other than a TKC, is going to dramatically reduce road holding on the front of these beasts. I'm not a real big fan of the TKC but it's probably the best way to go on the Tiger. Just keep the pressure up or it will pinch flat. Like 25-28lbs offroad, 36 on.

The rear is probably decent for it too, but any dualsport variety will work on the back, the K60 being real popular.

I've been running the Fullbore USA Adventure tires front and back, and with 22lbs they are really good for mild dirt. Certainly not a single-track tire, but then niether is the bike, IMHO.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #1635
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
I'm thinking it has something to do with my GPS.
Don't know how the GPS could affect it.

You know, come to think of it, I don't think mine has done that since I discovered my solenoid was corroded.