User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #121
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,877
And they again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They could fuck up a baked ptotao.blorp.
Quote:
Facing lackluster demand for its new Surface RT tablets, Microsoft has reportedly slashed 2012 orders from its Asian manufacturers from 4 million to 2 million units.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 AM   #122
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
And they again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. They could fuck up a baked ptotao.blorp.
And the "pro" version of the tablet will have half the battery life (~4 hours) of the RT.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #123
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~DC~ View Post
I think one thing to keep in mind, is that Microsoft has an alternative vision of the tablet. Where in many ways, the iPad and Android tablet's are essentially blown-up cell phones, the Windows RT experience is an attempt at further bridging the gap between the 'small' mobile device experience and the larger desktop/laptop. The obvious advantage with Apple's approach, is the application availability as well as the lesser hardware requirements. With the MS approach, the operating system is 'heavier' supporting a huge library of USB device drivers, the MS Office environment, larger display screen, and etc.
I'm curious about these alternatives, because I find alot of the android/apple arrangements to be soooo limiting, and slows me down in the name of "slickness." They're way way too consumer-oriented...woe is me if somebody hasn't slapped together "an app for that."

$899 starting price, though...boy...you really have to change people's mindsets wrt how a tablet fits into their life if you're going to drive high volumes with that kind of price tag. They've done a lousy job of that...not that it'd be an easy thing to do.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #124
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,604
way overpriced .. was thinking about getting pro version until price come out.

has to run Garmin basecamp to support GPS on the move. this means some type of Win 7 netbook instead of Surface.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #125
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
way overpriced .. was thinking about getting pro version until price come out.

has to run Garmin basecamp to support GPS on the move. this means some type of Win 7 netbook instead of Surface.

Have you looked at Win 8 Tablets from other vendors?
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #126
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,604
Quote:
Have you looked at Win 8 Tablets from other vendors?
yup... been checking out Asus netbooks with Win 7 @ $250, but screen is not highest resolution available yet ... don't mind paying a bit extra for a nicer model. but not 3x-4x $$$. don't want Win 8 until all the gotcha's come out.

none of the tablets will run basecamp and/or basic app's needed to function as main PC. one can boot Linux on android tablet, but Linux will not support Garmin basecamp.

need a real keyboard to be functional as main PC for me. wifi linked to iphone with tethering should do it.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #127
mantan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
yup... been checking out Asus netbooks with Win 7 @ $250, but screen is not highest resolution available yet ... don't mind paying a bit extra for a nicer model. but not 3x-4x $$$.
Surface Pro to Asus netbook really isn't a valid comparison.
mantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #128
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
playing with the galaxy note 10.1

Right now it has potential but there is certainly a learning curve. The display seems fine and it ismuch faster than surface , but time will tell.
Kayakgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #129
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
The sung note has a pretty nice screen

for watching movies, just did a 30 mins on the exo bike with it watching a documentary on the dam busters. My legs are going to be sore tomorrow.
Kayakgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #130
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,190
Has anyone given consideration to the Lenovo Yoga laptops?
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #131
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Well, those that have one... the newness must have rubbed off by now.

What are your thoughts? Regrets?

Any update on the Pro version?
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #132
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Surface Pro is supposed to hit the market on January 26th per an MS announcement last week.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #133
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
And the "pro" version of the tablet will have half the battery life (~4 hours) of the RT.

I think the Atom processor has a chance to make a huge difference here. (Atom is the x86 mobile processor.) This would run the full Windows 8 at very near the same power envelope as the ARM CPU. Intel is about to relase the next generation ATOM, I suspect we'll see some new products soon after that have the potential to light a fire under the Win 8 tablet market. Intel will make or break this depending upon their pricing model. If they try to prevent ATOM from taking sales from their more lucrative processors, they'll kill Win 8 tablets on that platform. If they can price ATOM similar to the ARM CPU packages, then good things could happen.

Edit: if Surface was available today with ATOM, and priced about the same as Surface RT, I'd own one. Don't know if MS will ever do that though as it would kill the Windows RT product.

~DC~ screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:57 AM
Old 01-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #134
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,930
Quote:
I think the Atom processor has a chance to make a huge difference here. (Atom is the x86 mobile processor.) This would run the full Windows 8 at very near the same power envelope as the ARM CPU. Intel is about to relase the next generation ATOM, I suspect we'll see some new products soon after that have the potential to light a fire under the Win 8 tablet market. Intel will make or break this depending upon their pricing model. If they try to prevent ATOM from taking sales from their more lucrative processors, they'll kill Win 8 tablets on that platform. If they can price ATOM similar to the ARM CPU packages, then good things could happen.

Edit: if Surface was available today with ATOM, and priced about the same as Surface RT, I'd own one. Don't know if MS will ever do that though as it would kill the Windows RT product.
I'm not sure about that, netbook sales were pretty good for 2-3 years and they didn't put a huge dent into laptops.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #135
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I'm not sure about that, netbook sales were pretty good for 2-3 years and they didn't put a huge dent into laptops.

I never used a netbook so I can't speak with any authority on the subject. That doesn't stop me from making some wild assed assumptions though.

Netbooks came out when Windows XP was king of the hill. Atom based netbooks suffered huge performance problems because the CPU performance was not up to the task. Combine that with tiny screens and poor quality hardware in general, I suspect most people found them lacking.

Windows 8 and especially RT don't require the same amount of CPU horsepower that XP needed. That along with better Atom processors today and the upcoming Atom have changed the equation.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: