Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #196
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,869
Have arrived back in Hanmer Springs, they had some serious wind and rain last night. I'll still give the Rainbow a crack tomorrow, provided its not raining, if its blocked no worries, I'll just return to HP, thank god for a 33 lt tank with over 550kms range.

Now yesterday was a very sad day for me. No it was not the forced donation to the policemans Teddy Bear picnic

But the severe shock of the loss of one of my all time favourite pubs.
Had rang the pub in CC to make a booking for last night, number is not connected???

Anyway I rode over to the Banks Peninsula to come down the hill to find this

SOB, the beautiful historic Duvachelle, one of the oldest in NZ was no more. The bloody eathquake had destoyed it. I was mortified ended staying in Akaroa, and had a magnificent Thai dinner at La Thai on the waterfront.

As for my donation to NZ finest, I'm not worried. It goes with the job as an occupational hazard, and I figure that as I'm averaging over 60,000kms per year, and have done so, for many years, and my last donation was about 4or 5 years ago, I'm way in front

He was travelling towards me on SH7 near Culverdon, came around a sweeping corner, and had me pinged before I relaised it was a Hwy patol , estimated distance was about 500mts, even a radar detector would not have saved me. I was the only vehicle on the road, so I pulled into a side road and awaited him. His opening statement was I have just detected you travelling at 113kph, what do you say about that? I replied that I watch the road ahead of me not the speedo, its much safer! and if you say so, no worries, I accept, I think it took him back somewhat, he asked if I wanted to check the radar reading, I said no thanks, I take it you know your job. Back he goes to his car with my Aussie licence, after a few minutes returns with a ticket for $80NZ, wonder why he didn't cut me some slack and knock it back to under 110, poor form I say!

Hey, its just a game, some you win some you lose, I spend almost $80NZ filling my 33lt tank almost every day. Wont change my riding ways, I will still travell at about 110kph, no way will I sit in a line of vehicles unless there are double lines, from experince way to dangerous, if I can't see whats in front of me.

anyway I'm back up and running hopefully with my PC.
I'm buying a Apple when I get back to Oz.

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #197
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

The mighty magical marveless Molesworth. Still one of my finest gravel roads anywhere in the world, although there may be better roads in South America, looking at some photos.
One of the starts on the road coming out of Blenhem along Taylors Pass rd

The start of the road follows the Awatere valley, lots of vine yards

And the good lord said, I have unlocked the gate, and you may proceed

But proceed with caution

Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #198
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Wicked ticket

re the ticket you could always right in and say you were to pissed from the night before to read the speedo and thats why you were trying to focus on the road.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #199
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Chris I love your style - the prose, self deprecating humour and the pics

Was good to see you again at the Outer Limits Tussock Adventure

Cheers S
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #200
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
re the ticket you could always right in and say you were to pissed from the night before to read the speedo and thats why you were trying to focus on the road.
G/day Steve

Acutually I did have a very good excuse, the speedo needle has been broken since the Motu ride, but I thought I might just let that slip through to the wicket keeper. A mean mother may have just slapped a canary on the bike to get some satisfaction.

Surprisingly, he did not breath test me. In Oz its the 1st thing they do if you get pulled over for whatever reason, then a licence check. Would not have worried me anyway and it was only 10.00am!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #201
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
G/day Steve

Acutually I did have a very good excuse, the speedo needle has been broken since the Motu ride, but I thought I might just let that slip through to the wicket keeper. A mean mother may have just slapped a canary on the bike to get some satisfaction.

Surprisingly, he did not breath test me. In Oz its the 1st thing they do if you get pulled over for whatever reason, then a licence check. Would not have worried me anyway and it was only 10.00am!
Alex must of left the "my other bike is a mountain bike and i wear a suit and will knock on your door " sticker on the back.

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #202
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NZ View Post
Alex must of left the "my other bike is a mountain bike and i wear a suit and will knock on your door " sticker on the back.
Nah, I reckon its the rainbow coloured sticker just below the rear number plate "Proud and Paid up memberof the Gay and Lesbian Ausitralian Police Forces" with their motto "A Hard Man is good to find"

Gets them everytime

Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #203
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

OK folks, less talk, more photo's and let them do the explanations.
Enjoy

Thats about half way through the Molesworth, still to come are "Loo's with a view".The Molesworth from Blenhem to Hanmer Springs is about 220k's, with about 30k's on sealed roads.

2 things to remeber. It is only opened from Boxing Bay till mid/late January.

There are 2 locked gates,one at Molesworth campsite, and one at the Acheron camp site, which are locked between 7.00pm till 7.00am. No camping allowed between those 2 spots.I encountered 2 park rangers in seperate vehicles, after 5.00pm heading north to check these rules out.
If you are travelling especially in the afteroon, and encounter a breakdown, flat tyre etc, be prepared to camp at either campsite, because you wont get through.

When you get a day like I had last Tuesday,consider yourself privledged.
It is a magic momment, one you won't forget.

More photo's to follow

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #204
Dave Ward
Not enough riding...

Oddometer: 1,681
Good to hear you're still having a terrible time over there Chris.

Did you have to include this pic mate, we generally keep it quiet that we might have rels in NZ...

Light travels faster than sound, which must be why when I meet some people they seem bright - until I hear them speak.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #205
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,348
Wow, I must get over the Bombays some time.... $80 for 115.....thats sounds like he gave you a discounted rate.
No wonder my Welly mate raves on about the Molesworth....Oh well off for my daily 40km BMW commute...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #206
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Wow, I must get over the Bombays some time.... $80 for 115.....thats sounds like he gave you a discounted rate.
No wonder my Welly mate raves on about the Molesworth....Oh well off for my daily 40km BMW commute...
He said 113km/h that's $80 bucks, and it's a deal. I paid that 10 years ago, for the same thing. You could argue that there should be a tourist tax.

You racer guys miss out on a lot of things. Going around a sweeping gravel corner at silly speeds is not to be sneezed at. I am still trying to work out how to do that. Any minute now....
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #207
GSDane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
Keep that up and I'll take all the Handorf Dark Chilli Chocolate out of the tankbag on the F800GS

PS The F800GS has just had new steering head bearings fitted, Hilly reckons its all right to ride now, he has been test riding it while his 950 awaits a new motor
No... you just leave that choc where it is (but I reckon it will be long gone down the corners of the tankbag by February... something about a warm summer )

Re the bike... sounds good (if he is gonna lend it to me )

Cheers, Dorthe.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #208
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,676
Love your lifestyle, Chris.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #209
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
He said 113km/h that's $80 bucks, and it's a deal. I paid that 10 years ago, for the same thing. You could argue that there should be a tourist tax.

You racer guys miss out on a lot of things. Going around a sweeping gravel corner at silly speeds is not to be sneezed at. I am still trying to work out how to do that. Any minute now....
We could swap for a weekend....you take the R90 to a track day at HD ( trailer included) and I can take Basic Basil on a trip up 90 mile beach and back.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #210
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Love your lifestyle, Chris.
G/day Nev

You helped fund it