Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
garybarber
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wow, after reading just two days worth of your articles I really hate being in Iowa. I sure wish I and could have gone on the ride with you. Stay safe!
garybarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowawoodsracer View Post
Don't see much camping gear on board the Tiger - must have some pretty high tech/compact gear!

Download the song Ben McCullough by Steve Earle to your iPod - great tune about the battle of Wilson's Creek!

Travel safe! We'll be watching.
The duffel on the passenger seat is my camping gear... compact, but not necessarily high tech. Gonna have to be much warmer before I do any camping.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 3

In a word, today was dreary... but can't say it was bad.

A common question I've gotten from family and friends is "what do you do with all your clothes"? Here they are... 3 compression sacks and a shaving bag. And yes Mom, I'm wearing clean underwear in case of an accident and in spite of one.

Originally I thought I'd ride west to check out the Little Sahara State Park... but then my buddy Ed mentioned the Oklahoma City National Memorial. It looked like I could possibly get to OK City before the rain really started there so decided to head that way instead.

Pulled out of Ponca City at 33 degrees. Cruised up to the north side of town to check out the Ponca City Motocross track. They have some big-time national level amateur races there. Cool track, no real elevation changes but really wide and looked very well groomed. Gate was open but no one was there for me to sign a waiver to cut laps on the Triumph...

Ended up riding by the Miller 101 Ranch... apparently the Miller's were big time ranchers, oil men, had a Wild West show and a bunch of other stuff. Not much left now, this is the foundation of the 17 room mansion. Had 9 bedrooms and each had it's own bathroom... and this was the late 1800's.

Here's what the ranch looked like 'back in the day'... the mansion I was standing in front of is on the right end.

The Miller boys had this really big ranch... turns out they also had really big... hats.

The ride to OK City was really cloudy, spit rain on and off, mostly straight roads running through ranches. I did get on a really nice curvy stretch that flirted with the Cimarron River for a bit.

As I approached the north side of OK City the rain started. My jacket, pants, and boots are relatively waterproof so unless it's a major downpour I usually don't have to put on a rain suit. Of course it did start to really come down right when I got near downtown and was trying to read exit signs and navigate downtown to find the National Memorial. Parked in a little dingy ramp across the street for $5 which was nice so I could be out of the rain to stow my pants and stuff before going in. You had to fold and stuff your $5 into these little slots... thought it was kinda weird...

I was just 1 year out of college when the Oklahoma City bombing occurred. I don't exactly remember where I was or what I was doing. The Memorial is one of the most moving collections I've ever walked through. Thanks for suggesting it Ed. 168 people, 19 of them younger than 6, woke up the morning of April 19th, 1995 and never got to go home again. Another 680 were injured. At one point, you sit in a room and listen to a recording of a conference call that was going on in the building next door that morning and hear the explosion and the reaction of the people on the call. Gripping.

Here I'm standing next to part of the foundation that's still there.

Reflecting pool. The 'empty chairs' represent those that lost there lives. They are arranged based on what floor they were on.

If you remember, they ended up catching Timothy McVeigh in the Perry, OK jail where he'd been arrested two hours after the bombing by a trooper along I-35 for not having license plate on his car and an unregistered gun in the car. I rode through Perry on the way down to OK City.

Took several hours to get through the Memorial. Still raining as I made it out of downtown. Headed west a little since the radar looked a little lighter that direction. It was 4:30 and I really hadn't had lunch so decided to call it a day. Found a hotel on the west side of town that met my criteria... it was off the exit I took, it was cheap-ish, and it was across the street from a nice bar and grill.

Looks like I'll finally make it into Texas tomorrow! Yee-haw!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
lsrdecker
n00b

Where is the local wildlife?

Hey, awesome stuff so far so keep up the good blogging but I have one request. I am most interested in the people you meet along the way. I can only imagine you are going to meet some characters and would be shocked if you didn't see them in OK. Pictures are great too.

Safe riding
lsrdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
bootsnasmile
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Looking like you're having a great ride.

Found a place for you to visit in TX:

http://www.beercanhouse.org/

Ride safe!
bootsnasmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
- "And yes Mom, I'm wearing clean underwear in case of an accident and in spite of one." -

Moms have the same worries,all over the world

Nice ride!

MJ

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
#1 Sister
n00b

Okie Dokey

Learn any southern slang yet?
#1 Sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
edstoll
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
Kelly,
Any chance you are packing a spot tracker?
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #24
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrdecker View Post
Hey, awesome stuff so far so keep up the good blogging but I have one request. I am most interested in the people you meet along the way. I can only imagine you are going to meet some characters and would be shocked if you didn't see them in OK. Pictures are great too.

Safe riding
There's been a few characters, got pulled into a 30 minute discussion on head shaving and Popeyes chicken with a black gentleman in Perry, OK that almost needed an interpreter. His New Orleans accent was pretty thick and my south Iowa accent must not have been thick enough. Will have a little more meet and greet time as I slow down from moving south and start doing more general exploring... and I'm still working on a better line than, "hey, you're quite the character, would you stand still a second so I can take a picture of you and show to a bunch of people online".
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #25
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll View Post
Kelly,
Any chance you are packing a spot tracker?
No spot tracker Ed. I researched them a little and saw some sketchy reports on reliability so decided to pass. I've been keeping the GPS on on my phone (which I know won't always work depending on cell coverage) and have it set up so The Girlfriend can stalk me.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsnasmile View Post
Looking like you're having a great ride.

Found a place for you to visit in TX:

http://www.beercanhouse.org/

Ride safe!
If I make it over to the Houston area... that is going to be a must do.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,213
Unfortunately you are running into a horrendous cold front that is supposed to last until next Thursday in Southern NM. I am down in Deming and can show you nice roads when you get down here if you want to PM me in the area. We also have an ADV hostel that Lunatic runs in Las Cruces NM. Supposed to be in the 60s after next Thursday down here. Better stay down by I-10 for sure. Have you considered a swing down into Big Bend in TX? Might want to go down there to warm up then come back up next week. we can also show you the difference between green and red chiles.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 4

Thursday started in Oklahoma City with the goal of getting to the Dallas area to stay with an old high school buddy. Turned out to be like a day long blind date with Mother Nature, who turns out to like to be called Mona for short. Who knew?

Based on what I could see about Mona on the internet, she should be nice, maybe wearing some grey, but not nasty in anyway. The real thing that showed up outside my window was not nice and a bit unkempt. Maybe this isn't Mona. I'll hide and see if someone else shows up. It wasn't raining, but it can't be much darker, foggier, and mist any harder without it raining.

No one else came. Ok, if this is Mona, then I'd better get on with it, but not without protection. Rolled on my rain suit and we drizzled our way out of OKC with all the trucks. "Yes Ms. Red Roof, it would be dryer and warmer to travel by car. Yes Mr. Cowboymanintheparkinglot, I do stay pretty dry wearing this and yes I'm having Fun. Can't you see I'm on a date?"

Got out of town on I-35, then took to two-lane.

Once Mona had spent a couple of hours with me and figured out I was in for the long haul she warmed up a bit and started to flirt with me. Started showing me a bit of sun here and there. She quit spitting on me. As much. Seemed like we were getting along pretty good eventhough she wouldn't ditch the dark grey sweater. At a gas station I decided to make a move and ditch my rain jacket and overboots.

As usual, I was moving too fast... wanting to take off too much too soon. So she spit on me for a bit more. You nasty girl. But we did go through a really nice area about this time. Was really hoping the scenery would stay like this but it was just about a 5-10 mile section. Turner Falls...

Taking Mona to the Falls did the trick. Really started warming up to me but was a major flirt with what I really wanted. Kept showing me the sun, but always just out of reach. "Oh, just a couple more miles south and you can have it. Oh no, just a few more miles. Oh, sorry, I meant over the next hill".

And like a lot of first dates, I never got it... but I saw it, so that gave me hope for Friday's riding.

Crossed into Texas while crossing a bridge over Lake Texhoma, which looks surprising just like the mile long bridge over Lake Saylorville back in Iowa. Although it sounds like Lake Texhoma is much bigger.

Got to the Dallas/Ft Worth area around 3:00... I had thought about going to see the Fort Worth Stockyards but knew I wouldn't really have time to walk around. Decided to go see where they were in case I wanted to check it out Friday morning on my way out of town. Easy ride to the Stockyards. Pretty cool area of town. Big longhorn cattle with saddles on them along the street. Hmm.

My buddy lives in The Colony, TX which is on the north side of Dallas/Ft. Worth. Let's just say riding up there from Ft. Worth around rush hour time was a mistake. Clutch hand got a workout. Can probably crack walnuts with that hand now.

With a name like The Colony, I was wondering if I was going to be entering a gated compound where I'd be brainwashed, renamed Bill-1784, and be told my new job was growing turnips and mixing kool-aid. Nope, The Colony is just a nice suburb on the north side of Dallas. Or maybe they just didn't want me.

Had a nice evening catching up with my buddy Jeff and his two year old son Spencer. 284 miles for the day.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,759

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #30
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 5

Ahh, now this is what we came down here for. 70 degrees and sunny!

Thanks to my buddy Jeff, his son Spencer and camera-shy wife Jennifer for the place to stay!!!

Wanted to walk through the Cowboy museum at the Stockyards in Ft Worth but with the great weather, just couldn't justify being inside so decided to meander my way down to Austin. Pieced together a mostly two-lane route that ended up mostly being designated as "Texas Lakes Trail". Went through a lot of cool towns with great historic town squares a lot like my hometown of Centerville, IA.

Today's menu included Granbury, neat town built along a lake. Glen Rose which is know for it's Dinosaur park that has many fossils. Big rocks along the river that runs through Glen Rose...

Eulogy, Brazos Point, Kopperl, Lakeside Village, Clifton, where I stopped for late lunch. Honest Pam, this is the first time I've had mexican all trip!

Turnersville, Gatesville, Pidcoke with a long ride alongside the Fort Hood Military Reservation, Copperas Cove, then a final run on 4 lane through the suburbs of Austin. Jumped on I-35 for a slow crawl to downtown Austin and splurged on a place I could walk to the nightlife from.

Roads were mildly entertaining today. Swoopy more than curvy. Lots of scrubby hills. Lots of ranches with crazy tall fences. Most of these are exotic animal or deer ranches. Speaking of wildlife. Started seeing lots of cactus today. First dead armadillo was actually a couple of days ago (sorry, no pic ), but saw live armadillos, a skunk, and what I sure thought looked like a porcupine playing along the road at different times today. 297 miles today.

When I came up on this, I really didn't think it was going to fit... but it did by inches.

The 6th street scene in downtown Austin was very cool. Really wished The Girlfriend was here to enjoy it with me. Reminded me of Main Street in Daytona during Bike Week. This is the historic Driskill Hotel.

Not sure what time it was, but they blocked the streets. Sidewalks were starting to get pretty busy but it doesn't really start swinging down there till pretty late.

Sampled a few establishments along the way, lots of good live music, and then got some food at The Jackalope. My pic didn't turn out so had to steal one.

Had the Chupacabra... which is a goat burger with chipolte cheese, maybe something else on there. Not sure I've had goat before. Doesn't taste like chicken. Tasted like fantastic beef. Very good burger that went well with a couple of Pacificos. Sat next to an Austin rider originally from the Chicago area currently on a Ninja 650 but recently had a Triumph Speed Triple so had good dinner conversation.

Good day of riding. Saturday is supposed to be warm, but chances of rain all day. Might try to take in the Texas State History Museum, late lunch at the Salt Lick BBQ south of town, and make my way to Fredericksburg and hole up there for a few days to do some Hill Country loops. Supposed to be pretty chilly around here for the next few days but heck, I'm from Iowa so highs in the 40's really don't feel that bad!