ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which option should I go with?
Option 1 5 100.00%
Option 2 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #31
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,446
The only time I ever overheated my phone was a very hot/sunny summer day when I returned from a ride, and left my bike/phone sitting in the direct sun, and I forgot to shut off all the stuff I had going on (gps, iPod, etc) or unplug it.

I've never had a temp problem otherwise.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #32
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 307
The Hitcase looks like it will be great, except you can't charge with it. The Otterbox Armor case will allow charging, which may be an issue for long GPS enabled rides. I think I am sold on the armor with RAM finger mount. I'll post up when I get it - after it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post
My money is going to be on Hitcase. They showed their case at CES today with just one picture on their Facebook and a comment about March 1st release. So a little more then a month away. I'm fairly confident its cold enough I could still charge and ride in the rain and not overheat the phone inside the case. Plus it would be cool to shoot video with the wide angle attachement.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #33
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post
The Hitcase looks like it will be great, except you can't charge with it. The Otterbox Armor case will allow charging, which may be an issue for long GPS enabled rides. I think I am sold on the armor with RAM finger mount. I'll post up when I get it - after it comes out.
How does the charging method differ from the two cases?
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #34
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
I have really enjoyed my Lifeproof case. I have used it in the pool shooting video of my son acting goofy with no issues. The ability to mount it to the bike is awesome. Now you have to get the gloves so that you can use the touch screen on the device.
That is good to hear. I have an iPhone 5 on order and have been considering the Lifeproof case as an option.

The reviews on Amazon for it are not good, but then again the general public is often pretty clueless how to effectively use anything more complicated than a toaster. And based on the many of the mobile phone related reviews I read, they are a bunch of whiny little children with unrealistic expectations.

I am also considering the Otterbox Armor case that comes out soon. Otterbox products have always worked well for me and the fact that they have delayed release of the Armor case tells me they have been working out the bugs rather than beta testing with their customers.

For the OP:
I have been using my Android phone in the RAM finger mount and it has been solid on my DR650, even in some moderate off road riding. That phone is in an Otterbox Defender and has fared well. Fine in a drizzle and I just deploy a ziplock bag over it if the rain gets worse.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,147
I haven't read all the posts, but lifeproof also makes a locking handlebar mount that has several sizes of spacers for different size handlebars. Mine has worked great from 15 degrees to 105 degrees, rain, snow, and sunshine. There is now a lifeproof case for the iPhone 5.

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?

ultane screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 08:46 PM
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #36
jprovence
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but lifeproof also makes a locking handlebar mount thathassions several sizes of spacers for different size handlebars. Mine has worked great from 15 degrees to 105 degrees, rain, snow, and sunshine. There is now a lifeproof case for the iPhone 5.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
Im reluctant to use the lifeprrof case. Some user reviews are pretty bad so far. seems people love thr 4/4s version.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #37
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post
How does the charging method differ from the two cases?
If you check out the hitcase FAQ, it says no charging. The Otterbox Armor on the other hand has a charging port.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #38
jprovence
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post
If you check out the hitcase FAQ, it says no charging. The Otterbox Armor on the other hand has a charging port.
Wow, a total deal killer. I was really looking forward to that case. Though I do have a Garmin Montana so the iphone is mostly redundant in that respect.

Edit: I stumbled upon this tonight. Its called the Quad Lock. I've never seem it before. But they have a few videos of their mounting system that looks pretty trick along with a case to go with it. Could be cool to put a quad lock in a few different places like the car and the kitchen or something. They even have a rain poncho. Though I don't know how well it would do at speed with wind driven rain.

http://www.quadlockcase.com/collecti...-iphone-5-case

jprovence screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 10:56 PM
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
I have an iPhone 5 on order and have been considering the Lifeproof case as an option.

The reviews on Amazon for it are not good...
According to some of the Amazon reviews, the bads ones were from a certain vendor and the cases were counterfeit copies.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #40
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Quadlock + Poncho is definitely work checking out. 1/2 the price of the Otterbox, I think.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #41
jprovence
Adventurer

Picked up a Lifeproof case last night at Best Buy for $79. I feel its worth it. The fit and finish is top notch. Screen is generally responsive, not as good as a naked phone, but very close. The sound from the speaker phone is muted, but phone calls are fine. No one has complained thus far. I put it in a bowl of water for a few hours before the phone went in. It sealed up properly. I can't wait for the bike mount. I did take it in the shower to test it out, again worked fine. I'm not sure I wanna go swimming with it just cause I'll never fully trust it, but on a bike in the rain, yeah I'd go for it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #42
hopskipjump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
questions

Earlier post showed someone who had through drilled a phone case in order to mount the Ram ball. Does anyone think this could be done (with some dabs of silicone) in order to attach the new Otter case??????
hopskipjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #43
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopskipjump View Post
Earlier post showed someone who had through drilled a phone case in order to mount the Ram ball. Does anyone think this could be done (with some dabs of silicone) in order to attach the new Otter case??????
I was planning on doing just that once I get mine. I have a set of the octagon button and matching arm, which will allow me to use the case for sailing, skiing, whatever, when I am off the bike (I don't use a case day to day - I like the form factor as it is too much).

edit: I wonder if the foam-like padding on the back inside will be easily removable to allow for drilling and countersinking holes to install the RAM mount?

SantaFeTrailer screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 08:36 AM
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #44
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112
I got a quadlock as part of a kickstarter project. The handlebar has been working fine and the locking collar holds it nice and tight but its still a breeeze to take off. I use one of the sticky mounts in my 4x4 that has seen a lot of rough work over the last year and its never got loose or fallen out.
Case for the phone is ok but not water or dust or anything proof. I think they are working on a poncho (like a shower cap) to fit over the phone in the rain.

A great nice weather mount but if you need water and dustproof its not there yet.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #45
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112
A bad pic of the quad lock mounted on my GS.