Old 12-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #436
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Laugh Merry christmas

SAW SANTA HE SAYS MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! HAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING ALONG A LOT OF PICS AND UPDATES TO COME,
Quick note hanging out In Santiago working at a hostel waiting on new suspension front and back
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL AND AN AWESOME CHRISTMAS
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #437
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Happy holidays my friends

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT TWO DAYS I KNOW i DID
CHEERS FROM SANTIAGO CHILE
Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #438
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Hey Fletch! Where do you plan to ship your bike to Australia from and how much will it cost? Thanks for the info in advance.
It will ship by air Santiago, Chile to Sydney, Australia
Working that out right now but it looks like it will cost around $1500 by air then another $500 or so when I get to Australia
I am getting a true quote today or tomorrow and will let you know more.
The company I was suggested to use and that they were fast and reliable was DYD Cargo
Will tell you more details when I find out..
laters
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #439
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Merry X-mas and happy New Year!

Good to see things are still going well for you. I'm trying to catch up with David's ride report and have talked to Nick a bit via e-mail. Still need to review his updates.

I'm not lying when I say EVERY single day, I think about my trip and want to do it again.... Doubt I can do next fall, but the fall after will be South America.

BTW, I was in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (yes, laugh away), and I saw a guy riding a KLR, no studs, and -22 with windchill near -30 Celsius. Roads were iced to shit. That guy had balls I couldn't even comprehend. Dec 28th.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #440
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Rough and fast sum up of santiago up till xmas

DAY-397-403
12/3-9/2012

I got an email Friday afternoon from the guy who is helping me out with my bike saying that the bike will be ready on Tuesday afternoon, but my cylinder head needs to be machined. Well I got an email today telling me there is a problem, the Machinist who is 35 years old dropped dead from a heart attack and it will be a few more days until he can find a new machinist… haha I got an email from my friend Juan telling me his client liked the picture we took and also was interested in take more pictures of me for their portfolio haha.
I talked with Ivan about working for him and it was vague, but then on Tuesday night he confirmed it with a handshake and I start Thursday night. He hooked it up with a discount on my bill as well as free living and food while I work for him. They want me to stay through Christmas working for them; I told them I will have to see how the bike goes. If my bike is shred ready by the 14th then I will leave and make it to Ushuaia before Xmas to meet friends, if not then I will stay here and leave on the 26th.
I walked around the city checking it out on my own just taking Santiago in, I really really like it. So now hopefully the bike will be done on Friday. I came down with something that dropped me, it started on the morning of Tuesday with cold symptoms and by the night I was curled up in blankets cold sweating and pooping…. Hahahaha I shook myself to sleep and was in and out all night drenched in sweat and freezing.
Woke up feeling okay, not great but okay; but I had promised my friend I would help him out and go to a photo shoot for him. I showed up and it was a professional Photo shoot, I had to put on a skin tight V-neck, leather jacket, and a scarf. Oh don’t forget I had to sit and get makeup on…. Hahaha I was for sure it was a setup from another one of our friends playing a joke on me... Hahaha
I started work on Thursday night; I work at the hostel “Ventana Sur Hostel” which has awesome motorcycle parking as well an amazing owner. This place makes you feel like you’re in your own home, with a nice kitchen, communal area, pool, and gated driveway. I am working 5 hours a night for trade for a bed, breakfast, wine, and some meals. I work 6:30pm-11:30pm I hang out with the guest have a few beers, deal with late check-ins, any questions they may have, and just make sure everyone is happy. End of the week bike still is not ready. I did run around getting a few new parts like sprockets, chain, front and back tires Pirelli MT60 and some oil. Quick hint if you are looking for parts or tires in Santiago ask them for the price then after you get the written price tell them you will use credit card and ask what the price difference will be if you use cash he knocked 20% off for me....

DAY-404-417
12/10-23/12
SANTIAGO, CHILE IN A NUTSHELL
Well this will be a whirl wind wrap up of the past 2 weeks living and working in Santiago Chile.

I finally got my bike back and it is running like a bat out of hell, the best it has felt in over six months!!! Well that is the Engine at least; I took it to a Race Tech Suspension guy who supposed to be the best in all suspensions in Chile. Sadly he had no parts which are new front springs and at least a rebuild on the stock shock and a new coil. I had hoped to catch a friend coming down from the states but did not work out. On an upside I picked up Race-tech as a small sponsor not full sponsor but helping me out a bit. So they have sent new spring for the back as well as for the front and the gold valve kit. Hopefully I will be back on the road by the first week in January and head north to check out the Dakar Rally before finishing up this continent by finally making it to Ushuaia a six month planned journey which has been stretched to the most amazing 14+ Months. Hahaha
I have walked all over this awesome city and hiked up to the Virgin Mary statue a few times. I have been working on figuring out all of my shipping details, locking down a job, airline tickets, carnets, getting another international drivers license, and working on getting some new gear shipped to my bro’s house in Cali which I will pick up on my way through to Australia. Yup I will fly to from Santiago to LA for a few days; drop a bunch of crap off and to pick up a few new things that will be making my pictures better (dslr, new laptop, and a few other things), new boots, changing up helmet to my old Shoei not a fan of the DS Fly, new windshield and pro tapers, chain, sprocket, (My local shop who sponsors me is helping me get some deals on some new bike gear).
For flights I have found the cheapest way to fly is to go one way Santiago to LA stay with my bro for a few days and then fly one way to Sydney Australia. Doing this will not only save me roughly $400 bucks but also give me a chance to grab a few things on my way.
The past few weeks working at the hostel I have met so many awesome people and grab connections around the world to visit. I might have landed a job working as a Chef on a luxury train line in Australia for six months. We will see if it plays out; if so it will mean $$$$$ and free accommodation and food… Fingers are crossed!!!
I have truly lucked out with where I have been getting stuck and waiting on parts, this place is awesome and the owner and hostel is amazing. Ivan is so generous he is constant throwing BBQ, buying wine and cheese for the guest, and just an awesome guy to sit down and talk with.

PS the hostel is "Ventana Sur Hostel" with safe parking, cheap beds, pool, kitchen, awesome owner, and just a relaxed atmosphere.

GUYS BATHING IN THE PARKING.. I CAN'T LAUGH SURE I WILL BE DOING THAT AT SOME POINT... HAHAHA

A CHAPEL ON MY WAY TO THE VIRGIN MARY STATUE

AWESOME STREET ART ALL OVER THE CITY

SANTIAGO CITYSCAPE ON THE HIKE UP TO THE VIRGIN MARY

GLIMPSE OF A VIRGIN

SANTIAGO WITH A LITTLE ANDES IN THE BACK DROP

THE 'OL MARY

THE BIKE AMBULANCE.... SERIOUS??? HAHAHA

THERE ARE HIPPIES EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD, PROTESTING AGAINST THE ZOO.....

MUSIC VIDEO SHOOT.. HAHAHA

SANTIAGO

Tons of new albums and updates on my facebook page "Wheres Fletch"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheres...ref=ts&__req=g

Spiced up the Website check it out let me know what you think if it is user friendly or not.. I suck at this whole Website thing
www.wheresfletch.com

I am also now on twitter.. not sure about it but we will see.....
www.twitter.com/WheresFletch

More updates coming .. Christmas and New Years
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #441
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post

HAHAHAHA

Quick note hanging out In Santiago working at a hostel waiting on new suspension front and back
Absolutely LOVE IT Fletch! Doin' the logo proud...

Dusty
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #442
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Hey Fletch! Where do you plan to ship your bike to Australia from and how much will it cost? Thanks for the info in advance.
This is what I have so far... Last email I got,

Dear Mr. Haver
Please be informed that we don’t have any problem to handle your shipment when you need.

We think that the best alternative for you is ship by Lan Chile.

The reason, Qantas will charge you complete airline pallet ( around 2.500 kgs volume ) That will be very expensive .

Lan Chile charge for highest weight ( gross or volume ) Based on measures informed, you must think in about 390 Kgs Vol ( This volume weight may change due to Motorcicle must be put on a crate that can increase dimentions.

The best way to start all procedures in make booking two weeks in advance to secure space.

Based on Lan Chile Security procedures, cargo must be delivered at Lan Cargo warehouse 24 hous before departure.

The idea is meet with you at the Airport, the day before departure.

At Teisa Terminal you must drain fuel tank, you must remove the battery from the bike and seal the battery terminals with plastic type.

Teisa can make the crates for your moto so everything will be done that day.

We can make all Customs formalities, make Shipper´s Declaration for Dangerous Goods , including presentation to D.G.A.C. )

The cost will be the following :

Air Rate to Sydney : Usd 3.85 P/kg Vol

Air Rate to Melbourne : Usd 3.95 P/kg Vol

Fuel Surcharge : Usd 0.45 P/Kg Vol

DGR Fee : Usd 100.00 ( SCL – SYD )

DGR Fee : Usd 200.00 ( SCL - SYD - MEL ** TWO SEGMENTS )

Handling : Usd 30.00

Security : Usd 10.00

DGR Declaration : Usd 50.00

Crates : Usd 145.00 ( Made with certified wood )

Airport Loading : Usd 30.00

Should you need any additional information don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards

Julio E. Harboe L.
Fono : 56 2 434 4500
Directo : 56 2 434 4520
Fax : 56 2 434 4550
Mov : 56 9 78456232
Mail : julio@dydcargo.cl
Web : www.dydcargo.cl

Hope your 2013 has started of with a bang and some riding...

Thanks again everyone,
Fletch

crestedbutte-rtw screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 01:59 PM
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #443
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
oh man it's bad attitude Santa.
after 40 more years you get a smile and all that grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestedbutte-rtw View Post

HAHAHAHA

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #444
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Christmas!!!2012 christmas number two away from home!!

DAY-418
12/24/12
CHRISTMAS EVE!!!!!!
Here in Chile on Christmas Eve is when they celebrate Christmas not on the 25th.
We had big plans which included 15lbs of steak and 5lbs of Pork ribs, a massive amount of wine, whiskey, rum, Pisco, martini’s, and an amazing group of new friends. I did a quick walk around trying to find my friends tattoo artist which unfortunately was closed. I marinated one 3 Kilo piece of Loma in a porter beer marinated I whipped up.
Our guest from the hostel and friends from outside of the hostel started showing up around 5pm and the drinks began to be poured. The meat came out perfect and the drinks were bottomless!!! We sat around telling stories of our adventures the low times and the high times. We carried out the second table from the breakfast room outside to our patio next to the pool and the grill and had a huge family dinner. The salsa music was cranked and the dancing began way into the morning. Cops came and Ivan the owner walked out to talk with them laughing as he did “come on it is Christmas they laughed and told us to have a good night….” Gotta love Chile. We even had a tree, it was a perfect Christmas away from home, much better than last year that’s for sure..

YES!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!! MY FIRST DOUGHNUT SINCE I LEFT HOME!!!! YUM YUM YES I AM A FAT KID!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

NEW FRIENDS AND FAM FOR CHRISTMAS... AWESOME!!!

LEWIS AND LOU AWESOME ENGLISH COUPLE

BAHAHAHA

FAMILY DINNER

PABLO THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND!!

CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES!!!! ROAR

SALSA DANCING IS NO JOKE!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #445
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Thanks guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
oh man it's bad attitude Santa.
after 40 more years you get a smile and all that grey.
Eakins what can I say maybe in 40 years I can smile but now my life is just way to serious and stressful.... Bahaha
Crazy to think we met well over a year ago in Mexico in the very beginning of the trip when I still thought I was going to do my whole trip around the world in 2 years haha thats funny now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
Absolutely LOVE IT Fletch! Doin' the logo proud...

Dusty
Dusty I have said it many times before but thank you so much for such awesome support as well as everyone from dang ´ol Wolfman Luggage you guys rule!!! Many more pics of that shirt and bags to come over the next few years I promise!!!

Thanks to everyone who is following along, hope everyone is enjoying it!
Fletch
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #446
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Happy New Year. I know it's late... I have no excuse.

Just felt the need to let you know in a pinch you can cut and space fork springs to increase spring rate. No joke. It works awesome and is often what you get anyways (Ie, race tech, etc). Lower spring rate springs, shortened, with spacer.

(I'm running them now on my XRR, and has been that way for 28,000 KM's, two trips to Baja, CDT, you know the story)

Just make sure to place the spacer in the proper position where it doesn't move and isn't required to "glide" anywhere. For us with traditional forks, that's at the top below the cap. It takes some searching to find the proper tube metal dimensions, but I used "pins" or joiners for scaffolding. Cut that shit to length, de-bur, install with cut and flattened springs = Golden.

I'm 100% sure anybody can ride my bike and wouldn't know know the diff.

Another trick is you can also drill out your factory valves to make them "gold valves". I did that on my shock and it rips over whoops.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #447
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh New years 2013 santiago chile

DAY-419-424
12/25-30/12
I and everybody else was dead all day, we laid around the pool and couches slowly dying watching movies. I skyped my sister like she said at 6am her time to see my nephews open Christmas presents and the 3 year old was still asleep!!!! So I finally got them on Skype around 7:30am their time and I was dying on the couch. I was hanging in there but barely trying to stay awake while watching them open presents; it was a blast to watch how excited a 3 year old is over awesome costumes. Past out for a few hours made some dinner and headed to bed after working.
By the next day we had recovered but our new good friends Lewis and Lue were leaving so we had a nice going away party of wine, wine, wine, whiskey, and Pisco. (oh my poor liver, working at a hostel is killing me…), another day of working on my web pages, uploading a couple hundred pics to my Facebook wheres fletch page, started using twitter (@wheresfletch), finalized the details on shipping, and last but defiantly not least parts are in the air.
We tried to figure out new years and then made some plans. We will throw another BBQ, wine, whiskey, Pisco, and beer; let’s rage one more time.
There is a guy Ben who is staying here, been here since Christmas awesome guy even though he was from Germany. Haha just kidding... Hell of a guy and a great drinking partner. Cannot wait to visit him in Germany and go to a few metal/ punk music festivals.

DAY-425
12/31/12
We will call this what was I thinking “Rookie mistake!!”
I, Ben, Pablo, and Ivan, all walked to the supermarket; we picked up 40 chorizos, 3 kilo’s of ribs, and 4 kilos of Loma steaks. We then went to the good isle… 4 big bottles of Red wine, two bottles of Rum, 12 pack of beer, and champagne. We headed back to the hostel and prepped the hostel for a little New Year fun!! I think the day and night was actually a little more tamed compared to Christmas, it was a blast just not as rowdy.
We hung out at the street hugging and cheers and just drinking and laughing it was amazing!!!
It was a very drunken very drunken VERY DRUNKEN night with good people and an awesome boss... so so much fun super stoked on how my holiday played out.
So the Rookie Mistake... “Lets start drinking Rum and Cokes at 4:30 and smash through them like it is water and I am dehydrated in the dessert. We sat around giving each other hell and just enjoying the evening. Then my friend showed up with a bottle of Pisco and a liter of coke, we dumped out half the coke and went 50/50 Pisco to coca-cola. We headed up to the main drag to watch the fireworks and drink in the streets for New Years, Midnight. I was told my drink was too strong so I ended up slamming the liter and then I stumbled back to the hostel and we decided to hang out at the hostel for an hour before we went out. Nope the Pisco kicked in and it was time to crawl to my bed. Bahahaha
Happy New Years!!!

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/...ps37bbcf65.jpg
WITHOUT THE RIBS

STARTING NEW YEARS BY THE POOL WITH SOME WHISKEY

MEET BEN THE GERMAN

BBQING BY THE POOL IN 90 DEGREE WEATHER.. AWESOME

PABLO
\
CUBRA LIBRE

NEW FRIENDS AND DRINKING IN THE STREETS

STEAK!!!!

LOOK MOM I GOT HAIR!!!!!!

HALF THE CREW IS PEACEFUL WITH WINE THE OTHER HALF WHISKEY READY TO RAGE!!! HAHA THIS PICTURE MADE US ALL LAUGH IN THE MORNING!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!!

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A BRAAAAAPING GOOD 2013, WITH LOTS OF BADASS ADVENTURES!!!!
THANK YOU FRIENDS FOR FOLLOWING ALONG WITH ME ON THIS CRAZY RIDE
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #448
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
Man they love their meat down there. I think you get a main dish of meat with a side dish of meat followed up by more meat.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #449
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Man they love their meat down there. I think you get a main dish of meat with a side dish of meat followed up by more meat.

Is there something wrong with that Bill?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #450
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Is there something wrong with that Bill?
yes he forgot the meat desert.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote